Need a USB interface with multiple outputs
Old 28th February 2010
Gear nut

Need a USB interface with multiple outputs

I'm currently using an M-Audio Fast Track Pro but the 2nd input and corresponding outputs are blown - noisy. In addition the preamp isn't that great... I'm looking for a USB interface with an least 2 inputs and at least 4 outputs. I saw thread asking about the Focusrite USB, it seems nice but the USB 1.1 concerns me a little. It's layout however is pretty much what I'm looking for - 2 inputs, multiple outs, USB, Midi.

Is there anything that is similar but usb 2.0? I'm open to dishing out a little more money for something better.. I saw people suggest the E-MU 0404 but it doesn't have multiple outputs...

I'm using a Gateway NV59 with an Intel i5 processor, 4gb ram, Windows 7
Old 28th February 2010
Gear Guru

Get a firewire card and look for what you want with firewire...

USB interfaces tend to have few channels. There have been a few high channels counts out there on USB, but they are new and look cheap (though they may be fine).

It's too bad nobody makes a converter for the Azalea interface on the "i" platforms. It has plenty of ability on the digital side...

-tINY

Old 28th February 2010
Gear nut

Thanks but I forgot to mentioned that I don't have a PCMCIA slot on my comp, just USB.
Old 28th February 2010
Lives for gear

Tascam US1642. Big (19") but affordable, 4 line outs + stereo S/PDIF. The preamps and drivers are alright too.
Old 28th February 2010
Gear nut

What about an Mbox 2?
Old 28th February 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by beedoola View Post
What about an Mbox 2?

I would like to know that myself. Are there any inherent problems with these or a they rock solid pieces of equipment? I'm thinking about picking up a mbox2 mini... I only need one input for a mic.
Old 28th February 2010
Gear nut

I know they supposedly work with Windows but I've always heard they're better with Macs...I'd like to know..

And I'm assuming the Mbox 2 is USB 2.0..?
Old 28th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know they supposedly work with Windows but I've always heard they're better with Macs...I'd like to know..

And I'm assuming the Mbox 2 is USB 2.0..?
MBox 2 is USB1.1 (slightly better latency than USB 2) but it's enought for the number of channels it can do. Mine on Mac was pretty terrible, made my Mac occasionally crash in the middle of recording and always during shutdown; and by crash I mean this little screen: http://www.dashboardwidgets.com/show...Panic-1p0f.png

The sound quality is just ok and it works well with Protools, but that's it.
Old 28th February 2010
Gear maniac

Fireface UC!
Old 28th February 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrowbar View Post
MBox 2 is USB1.1 (slightly better latency than USB 2) but it's enought for the number of channels it can do. Mine on Mac was pretty terrible, made my Mac occasionally crash in the middle of recording and always during shutdown; and by crash I mean this little screen: http://www.dashboardwidgets.com/show...Panic-1p0f.png

The sound quality is just ok and it works well with Protools, but that's it.
Slightly better latency? Would it be worse since its 1.1??

Quote:
Originally Posted by micbrowser2010 View Post
Fireface UC!
I'm guessing thats firewire, I con't have a FW port..
Old 28th February 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
I'm guessing thats firewire, I con't have a FW port..
nope it's usb
Old 28th February 2010
Gear interested

Old 28th February 2010
Lives for gear
lexicon U42s - 4 channels. i thikn there is also an 8 channel version. good pres, stable, and USB2. works great for me.
Old 28th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Slightly better latency? Would it be worse since its 1.1??
Nope, USB 1.1 actually has lower latency but it has much less transfer speed than USB 2.x.

It's kinda like a high speed train versus a 6 lane highway. The high speed train can't transport a lot of passengers at the same time but will get there fast (low latency). The 6 lane highway has more throughput, but gets clogged up easily and sometimes there's even jams. USB2.x has a more loose protocol and the computer's operating system decides when the data should arrive and prioritize. The 480Mbps is a theoretical maximum that is never really achieved and much less sustained (unlike Firewire). Some data packets (a few milliseconds of audio) actually arrive very quickly but need to be buffered so that can be played back in the right order. If you've ever set your ASIO latency/buffer too low, you'll have notices clicks and pops; that's the packets not arriving in time or arriving in the wrong order.

USB 1.1 is used for most computer keyboards and mice for that reason: the latency is lower and especially the mouse feels more responsive.
Old 1st March 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrowbar View Post
Nope, USB 1.1 actually has lower latency but it has much less transfer speed than USB 2.x.

It's kinda like a high speed train versus a 6 lane highway. The high speed train can't transport a lot of passengers at the same time but will get there fast (low latency). The 6 lane highway has more throughput, but gets clogged up easily and sometimes there's even jams. USB2.x has a more loose protocol and the computer's operating system decides when the data should arrive and prioritize. The 480Mbps is a theoretical maximum that is never really achieved and much less sustained (unlike Firewire). Some data packets (a few milliseconds of audio) actually arrive very quickly but need to be buffered so that can be played back in the right order. If you've ever set your ASIO latency/buffer too low, you'll have notices clicks and pops; that's the packets not arriving in time or arriving in the wrong order.

USB 1.1 is used for most computer keyboards and mice for that reason: the latency is lower and especially the mouse feels more responsive.
great analogy, thanks a lot.

So we got votes for the Focusrite, Lexicon, Fireface UC,

Mbox2?

**Edit, I looked up the Fireface UC and saw that it was $1200, ha, thats out of the question...
Old 2nd March 2010
Gear interested

Old 2nd March 2010
Gear nut

Old 3rd March 2010
Gear interested

My band uses an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R - 8 ins, 8 outs, USB interface - but that's probably too much for what you want? It's a 1U rackmount.

It works well enough, and the effects are appreciated by our singer who likes to hear himself bathed in reverb. We wanted enough inputs to record the whole band (and I wanted 8 inputs for digitising some old projects from 8 track tape), otherwise we may have gone for the plain Ultra.
Old 3rd March 2010
Gear addict

Native Instruments Audio Kontrol works well for me. 2 in, 4 out.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search