Login / Register

Using loops with band & live drummer - how to?
New Reply
Subscribe
tigerflystudio
5th February 2010
Old 5th February 2010
Gear interested

Using loops with band & live drummer - how to?

Hi guys, my first post - please be gentle! Can you help me please? I've been recording some beats / loops on my laptop (Dell 1545) and am now wanting to bring them to my band so we can all play along (and stay in time!) What options are there for running a click-track to our drummer's monitor, but STILL maintaining a true stereo output from the laptop to the PA? I guess what I'm asking is how can we feed a click track to the drummer so he stays in time with the loops, whilst still sending our (click-track-free) stereo loops to the PA? If I pan everything to one side and the click to the other, then all the music going to the PA will be in mono - and that will SUCK. Help / advice much appreciated
5th February 2010
Old 5th February 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to ivmike
You require software and hardware (external soundcard) with multiple sends.

For software, you could use Ableton Live.

This is from the Ableton website FAQ section:

Is it possible in Live 3 and later versions to send the metronome (or a separate track with a click track) to a different output on a soundcard?

Yes, this is possible using the pre-listening function in Live if your sound card/audio interface has multiple outputs. The metronome is routed to the Cue Out output. To send an individual track to another output of your sound card/audio interface, be sure that the In/Out View is enabled and select the output in the Output Channel chooser.

Source: Ableton - FAQs

Tim's Website

Quote:
Originally Posted by phill brown View Post
Keep it simple - get good sounds at source - do not rely on all the technology. Go with your instincts/gut feeling. Don't mic too close.
5th February 2010
Old 5th February 2010
Gear addict

tigerflystudio
8th February 2010
Old 8th February 2010
Gear interested

Thanks for info guys - I had a feeling the answer to this problem was going to point towards us having to buy more expensive equipment. Doh!I guess the drummer could just have the main mix in his headphones REAL LOUD, and we could work in some kind of percussion so he can follow / stick to it?
8th February 2010
Old 8th February 2010
Gear nut

Try mono first and decide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerflystudio View Post
then all the music going to the PA will be in mono - and that will SUCK. Help / advice much appreciated
Good advice above however ...

My tuppence worth - before you buy something with multiple outs, go ahead and try it panned hard left/right (click on one side - mix on other as you suggested in your OP) and see how it sounds. Mono may sound ok over the PA for beats (and bass).

Good luck.
8th February 2010
Old 8th February 2010
Gear nut

you dont really need multiple outs, unless you want the FoH guy to have full control, but what i have done before is make a two mix with click on one side and all the instruments on the other. And just run the tracks off of an iPod, so click all on the left channel and instrumets on the right, and you have it right there on your iPod to go with you the only thing you would need a at that point is 1 stereo di or 2 mono di's.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search