New Reply
Subscribe
flmason
29th December 2009
Old 29th December 2009
Gear nut

Gain Staging Monitors?

Hi All,
Have some monitor speakers on the way. They have a volume control, and accept as input 1/8" stereo...

Have two soundcards in the PC, the factory one and a Line 6 UX card.

Since both the sound cards and the speakers have volume controls, there's clearly a question of where the "sweet spot" is?

Obviously the volume on the sound cards shouldn't overdrive the monitors, but short of that, seems there's some give and take possible. Any thoughts on finding the right spot from a sonic perspective?

Also, anyone know if typical factory sound cards have any sort of compression or EQ built into them? I.e. should I just drive them with the purpose built Line 6 card or is ASIO4ALL + the Factory card going to be uncolored (I hope) as well?

My suspicion is that not only can cards sound different, but so can drivers.

As an extreme example, it seems to me that the Line 6 Pod Farm software is really a complicated device driver. At least it shows up as a device in recording software. So... seems reasonable that a driver programmer could write code that mucks with the signal, whether intentional or not.
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Gear maniac

I'd just use your ears. Some cheaper converters (like the ones on a computer or an iPod) tend to distort at full volume, so I wouldn't crank the volume on them.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search