SE 2200 A or MXL V67i
Old 15th December 2009
Gear maniac

SE 2200 A or MXL V67i

Hello from Brazil!
My name is Julian J. Ludwig and I am the owner of the music production company "Jacarandá", based in São Paulo, Brazil.

I am buying a Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 interface, and I want to replace my AT2020 Mic.

I heard good things about the SE 2200 A and MXL V67i
I am going to record mainly vocals and Acoustic Guitars.

There are some other mics in that price range:

Rode NT-1A (I want the NT2-A, but out of price range)
AKG C 2000 B
AKG C 3000 B
AKG Perception 220
Audio Technica AT2035
Shure PG42-LC
ART M-Two

Any opinions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks a lot!
Old 15th December 2009
Gear maniac

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian J. Ludwig View Post
Hello from Brazil!
My name is Julian J. Ludwig and I am the owner of the music production company "Jacarandá", based in São Paulo, Brazil.

I am buying a Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 interface, and I want to replace my AT2020 Mic.

I heard good things about the SE 2200 A and MXL V67i
I am going to record mainly vocals and Acoustic Guitars.

There are some other mics in that price range:

Rode NT-1A (I want the NT2-A, but out of price range)
AKG C 2000 B
AKG C 3000 B
AKG Perception 220
Audio Technica AT2035
Shure PG42-LC
ART M-Two

Any opinions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks a lot!

I can give you a thumbsup on the MXL V67i, I have the V67g and it's a workhorse for all my reocrdings from vocals to instruments and room miking.

I can give you a thumbsup on the AKG C 2000B, it's basically a supercardioid condenser mic. Tight pickup pattern great off axis rejection. It's become my favorite snare mic.

I will warn you to stay away from the Rode NT-1A: I wouldn't even use it as a talk-back mic.

Happy recordings!
Old 15th December 2009
Gear maniac

Hi there Vintageblue02.
Thanks for the reply.

I wanted to ask if you have ever used the SE 2200 A.
I am more interested on the SE (at the moment), because it comes with a nice case and shockmount.

Thanks again.
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

...the SE2200A actually shares the same circuit design as the original V67g, but with higher quality caps, components and capsule...very nice mic...but a single diaphragm capsule design...

...the V67i on the other hand has a dual diaphragm capsule, allowing for two different sounding modes, "Warm" and "Bright"...more versatile but not quite the quality build of the SE 2200A...
Old 15th December 2009
Gear maniac

Thanks for the reply kidvybes.

I am considering a little higher budget.
Would you say that the Rode NT2-A is a mutch better mic then these above?

Thanks.
Old 15th December 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

I had the 2200a and it is a great mic..solid also...it was great on vox. and acoustic guitar...I wish I still had it, the damn case it comes in is worth the price!!!
Old 15th December 2009
Gear maniac

Would you prefer the 2200A over the Rode NT2-A?
Old 15th December 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian J. Ludwig View Post
Would you prefer the 2200A over the Rode NT2-A?
Never tried that mic..I used the blue bluebird and a cad m179 AND the SE..I would take the SE over all of them..but I have never used the rode so I can not help you there..It is worth the price..I got mine off ebay really cheap and LOVED it!! It feels like you could pound nails in with that thing,,it will last,,

PS. the rode is Multi pattern, the SE is cardioid only if I remember correctly, I could be wrong!!
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

...the best deal in the price-range you're considering (IMHO) is the KEL HM-7u ...great sounding LDC without the bright top-end bite and sibilance issues...smooth!...highly recommended...

hm7u
Old 16th December 2009
Gear maniac

thumbsup SE2200A
Old 16th December 2009
Lives for gear
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...the SE2200A actually shares the same circuit design as the original V67g, but with higher quality caps, components and capsule...very nice mic...but a single diaphragm capsule design...

...the V67i on the other hand has a dual diaphragm capsule, allowing for two different sounding modes, "Warm" and "Bright"...more versatile but not quite the quality build of the SE 2200A...
yea, but the bright side is nearly useless, at least for my ears. anyone needing that much accentuation in the 8k region during the tracking stage is doing things very differently from me :-)

the g version omits that second overly bright harsh capsule and just leaves the very nice sounding vocal-tuned capsule. much cheaper too.

still, I suppose people who like the mxl 603 would also like the v67i's bright side. just not my thing.
Old 16th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley View Post
yea, but the bright side is nearly useless, at least for my ears. anyone needing that much accentuation in the 8k region during the tracking stage is doing things very differently from me :-)

the g version omits that second overly bright harsh capsule and just leaves the very nice sounding vocal-tuned capsule. much cheaper too.
...agreed...the SE2200A is a better V67g...but the KEL HM-7u is another notch up on the quality-LDC scale (and Canadian based too!)...
Old 16th December 2009
Lives for gear

i have a modded mxl v67 and like it very much.
much better than the original. more details, more bass.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search