best cheap condenser mic?
Old 7th December 2009
Gear interested

best cheap condenser mic?

I'm just starting to build up my studio and was interested in investing in a condenser mic (ideally for vocals) to go along with my SM57.

now i know there is no such thing as a brilliant sounding cheap condenser, but i was wondering if anybody knows from experience has found cheap-e, say 250 or lower) that could handle my needs for vocals, n bass guitar possibly.

also, iv looked into these USB condenser mics? sounds sketchy... anyone use these?
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

CAD M179 would probably fit the bill for bass and vocals and would compliment your 57 well....plus with infinitely variable patterns it is definitely something you can learn and grow with.
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for beer

I'm a big fan of the MXL V67g and the CAD GXL 3000 as cheap condensers. Both have their merits, and go for around $100 or less if you hunt around. And, if you want them to grow with you, both are excellent options for Mods... Michael Joly of OctavaMod does offers some good mods, for example.

OktavaMod - Affordable Boutique Microphones

Last edited by BudgetMC; 7th December 2009 at 11:58 PM.. Reason: Linkerdoodle
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

AT3035, IMHO. I have several more expensive mics in my locker, yet use the 3035's more frequently on more sources than any of my mics, had them beat out u87, 414, C12 on several occasions with different artists for vocals (both their preference and mine).
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

I have had lots of great experiences with KEL mics. Although that was on upright bass, not electric. I hear they are great on vocals for what they cost.
Old 8th December 2009
Gear maniac

SE 2200a is a good budget all rounder! Another plus 1 for the AT mics!
Old 8th December 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by river View Post
AT3035, IMHO. I have several more expensive mics in my locker, yet use the 3035's more frequently on more sources than any of my mics, had them beat out u87, 414, C12 on several occasions with different artists for vocals (both their preference and mine).

I'll second the AT 3035. Just ridiculously good for the dosh.
Old 8th December 2009
Gear addict

Rode NT1A. Great for just about everything.
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diapause View Post
Rode NT1A. Great for just about everything.
uggh the original NT1 is soo much better than the NT1a. It's a decent mic for most sources but I wouldn't really call it great for just about everything and I don't really hate the mic.
Old 8th December 2009
Gear addict

I'll add the Trion 6000 to the list of cheap but great CAD mics. I've enjoyed it on acoustic guitar and male vocals.

You can find them for around $150. However according to Michael Joly here a few months ago, the Trion 6000 is actually the same as a GXL3000 except with the lollipop head...
Old 8th December 2009
Gear nut

i have an akg perception 120 - 99 bucks and i've recorded some very decent vocals with it
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for beer

River... you're gonna get me to buy one of these someday soon!tutt

Quote:
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
River... you're gonna get me to buy one of these someday soon!tutt
Act now, supplies are limited!
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

i gotta give ups to both the at3035 and the v67g. both are incredible mics for very little money.
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

I have used the AT 3035 and MXL V67 and my suggestion is for a CAD M179. It's a variable pattern mic and just sounds very natural and neutral on whatever you put in front of it.

And the NT1 and NT1A are all right, but rather shrill in my opinion.

I think the M179 is the best bang for the buck mic you can buy.
Old 8th December 2009
Gear interested

Old 8th December 2009
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
why does audio-technica's official webpage show the at3035 as discontinued... though i still see it for sale on other sites?
They discontinued the entire 30 Series, hence my "supplies are limited" crack. There's still some inventory out there.
Old 8th December 2009
Gear addict

I search for an AT3035 last night. No luck. Amazon showed them available at ZZsounds, but the stock was zero when I went to buy one.

Looks like ebay is where you get them now
Old 8th December 2009
Old 8th December 2009
Gear maniac

isn't the AT 2035 pretty much the same mic as the 3035? i had heard it was just a rebadge.
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

The 20 Series are built in China, the 30's were built in Japan. Build quality and perhaps capsule quality are a bit better with the 30's.
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

check your pm
Old 8th December 2009

yes AT3035 is lot smooth than the NT1a
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

No love out there for Studio Projects B1 and B3?
Old 8th December 2009
Gear addict

Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks!!! Sweet deal, I got one headed my way.
Absolutely, enjoy it. Buy two if you can, nice to have a pair (I own 3). Here are some of my favorite uses besides vocals:

drum overheads
upright bass
electric guitar amp
grand piano
nylon string guitar
Old 8th December 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2zepprider View Post
I'm just starting to build up my studio and was interested in investing in a condenser mic (ideally for vocals) to go along with my SM57.

now i know there is no such thing as a brilliant sounding cheap condenser, but i was wondering if anybody knows from experience has found cheap-e, say 250 or lower) that could handle my needs for vocals, n bass guitar possibly.

also, iv looked into these USB condenser mics? sounds sketchy... anyone use these?
i got two vienna's on ebay for 300 bucks. they're normally 400 bucks. great mics
Old 8th December 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Absolutely, enjoy it. Buy two if you can, nice to have a pair (I own 3). Here are some of my favorite uses besides vocals:

drum overheads
upright bass
electric guitar amp
grand piano
nylon string guitar
What the hell, I bumped it up to two.

Merry Christmas to me!
Old 8th December 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danner View Post
What the hell, I bumped it up to two.

Merry Christmas to me!
mines well throw another in for me!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search