New Reply
Subscribe
dickiefunk
15th October 2009
Old 15th October 2009
Lives for gear

These interfaces vs Echo Layla 3G?

Hi,

I'm currently using an Echo Layla 3G interface which I've been very pleased with but am moving rooms in the next month and would like a replacement.

The reason why is because at the moment I'm using an SM Pro Audio M-Patch 2, Yamaha MLA7 and Tapco Mixer, M-Audio DMP3 and M-Audio Tampa with it to do what I need.

I would like an all in one interface that has 2+ built in pres, volume control for monitors, zero latency monitoring with easy user interface, ADAT I/O, midi I/O, spdif I/O and 2x headphones.

My budget is £350 - £400 max!

The interfaces on my shortlist are :-

M-Audio Profire 2626
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 or Pro 24
TC Konnekt 24D

What are your thoughts on these interfaces and how does the AD / DA conversion compare to my Echo Layla 3G?

Thanks
dickiefunk
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Lives for gear

Anyone???
17th October 2009
Old 17th October 2009
Gear Head

Hi am no expert but i don't understand your reason to change. If i'm not mistaken the layla has most of what your lookin for and at the price your looking to pay you would not get any better than you already have.

Why don't you look into a preamp unit with monitor volume control or anything else you feel you need. That way you could improve your setup.

Not sure if am missing your exact point here.
dickiefunk
17th October 2009
Old 17th October 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply.

What I am aiming to do is to reduce the amount of boxes + cables I'm using because I'm going to be moving to a smaller space.

With the Echo Layla 3G I also need the SM Pro Audio M-Patch 2 volume comtroller. I'm also using a Yamaha MLA-7, M-Audio DMP3 and M-Audio Tampa which are ok preamps but nothing great.

I was hoping I could pick up an all in one interface with a master volume, + half decent preamps so that I could sell my Layla 3G, M-Patch 2, Tampa, DMP3 and Yamaha MLA-7 and save on clutter of leads and boxes!

I like the look of the new Echo 8pre but this looks like it's going to sell for £586!? At that price I would be more interested in the Steinberg MR-816 or TC Konnekt 48.

I spoke to a well respected reviewer a while back and he found the Focusrite Saffire interfaces to have slightly better imaging than the Echo Audiofire 12 and the TC Konnekt better again.

I'm not really expecting to notice a step up in audio quality at around £400 but I definitely don't won't to take a step down!! This is more about practicality and space saving!
dickiefunk
17th October 2009
Old 17th October 2009
Lives for gear

Also, in the long term I'm not looking to have racks of gear. I would eventually like to add a Grace M101 and GAP PRE-73 to my Focusrite ISA One and that's it. I'm not recording drums or large ensembles etc. Normally I only record vocals but on occasions I would like to also record guitar and bass. For drums I use a Roland TD-20 triggering Superior 2.0 and Addictive Drums.

I'm looking to go minimal but quality and practical!

Hope this helps explain where I'm coming from!?
17th October 2009
Old 17th October 2009
Gear nut

Send a message via MSN to Mege
Have you taken a look at the Presonus Firestudio? It looks to have what your looking for, especially if you add the optional Monitor Station Remote controller.
18th October 2009
Old 18th October 2009
Lives for gear

I'd go with the Profire 2626 because of the sweet preamps and solid drivers. I'd keep the Layla for mixing though, ECHO stuff has awesome converters in them. Record with the profire, mix ITB with the Layla. You should be able to daisy chain them so you don't need to unplug anything.
dickiefunk
19th October 2009
Old 19th October 2009
Lives for gear

Has anyone on here been able to compare the Layla 3G to any of these interfaces??
19th October 2009
Old 19th October 2009
Gear Head

Echo is as good if not better than the other units in terms of AD/DA, and passive montior attenuation is always the best option... so I don't really see the need for you to change. I think you should just spend money on mics/preamps/acoustics when you have it

Last edited by llatsni; 19th October 2009 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: Layla has ADAT
LdC
19th October 2009
Old 19th October 2009
LdC
Gear maniac

I have compared the Echo Layla 3G and Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. I thought the output of the Focusrite sounded a touch better… Better stereo imaging, and slightly crisper, more defined sound. But the difference wasn't drastic and the Echo is still definitely a good quality card.

A few things I like about the Pro 40 are: two decent headphones outputs; ability to route audio from one application to another; multiple apps can use the interface at the same time (not sure how common this is these days, but I seem to recall that with the Layla 3G, you could only use one ASIO app at once with it). I believe you can also now use the Pro 40 in standalone mode, if you install the latest update.
dickiefunk
19th October 2009
Old 19th October 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies.

I'm certainly intrigued by the Saffire Pro 40. I also heard that it has slightly better stereo imaging than the Layla 3G?

I've also heard that the TC Konnekt 24D is a little better than the Saffire Pro 40. I've seen these go for as little as £170 s.h.!!

I'm wondering how the M-Audio Profire 2626 compares to these?

I have to admit that the Konnekt 24D is quite appealing because of its small size however I like the extra ADAT connections on the Saffire Pro 40 and Profire 2626.

Please keep your experiences with these interfaces coming!!

Thanks
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search