Gear addict

GOLDEN AGE PROJECT PRE-73 worth buying?

http://www.youtube.com/user/waltertore
RTR
27th September 2009
Old 27th September 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

I love mine!!! I first recorded a DI guitar through it when I got it and I have never herd such a beautiful sound come out of a cheap preamp....Just get it..If you don't like it ...Ill buy it off ya!!
27th September 2009
Old 27th September 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by moracspace View Post
Not bad,the low end is very loose and flabbie.The mids are nice but the highs just arnt there.IMO its not worth the lead paint on it.
+1..I was upset with the paint issue!!!!!Still would never get rid of it!!
27th September 2009
Old 27th September 2009
Gear addict

I've had mine for about 3 weeks now and absolutely love it. No sound issues, no paint issues, just a fantastic sounding, inexpensive preamp
28th September 2009
Old 28th September 2009
Gear addict

I've just ordered a second
28th September 2009
Old 28th September 2009
Gear nut

One of the best items to get this year hands downs without a doubt. I have 3 of them now, and Im about to purchase another one.

BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT

before you kick yourself
28th September 2009
Old 28th September 2009
Gear maniac

Just upgraded mine with input/output trasformer and transistor, sounds great, love it!!!
RTR
28th September 2009
Old 28th September 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpagala View Post
Just upgraded mine with input/output trasformer and transistor, sounds great, love it!!!
That's great!! Can you here a BIG difference? I mean..would it be just plain stupid not to upgrade it? If so I Guess I will do mine if it makes that big of a difference!!
28th September 2009
Old 28th September 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
That's great!! Can you here a BIG difference? I mean..would it be just plain stupid not to upgrade it? If so I Guess I will do mine if it makes that big of a difference!!
YES, it makes a HUGE difference, the sound is night and day difference.
29th September 2009
Old 29th September 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
It sounds more smoother now after mod and its definitely worth it, but the original still sounds good but modding definitely sounds better.
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
Gear interested

Guys....I just got my hands on a Golden Age Pre 73.
The manual is very breezy and I am confused by some points.

The manual says you can switch between mic and line mode using the mic/line dial. The mic/lime dial goes from left to right...

Mic -80, -70, -60, Off, -80, -40, -30, -,20 , OFF, -20. -10, 0, Line 10, OFF

1) What is the deal with OFF appearing at 3 intervals? What is the idea behind that?

2) To use the GA-73 with a mic what settings should I use? Where should I set the mic/line dial

The manual suggest setting the Output dial to maximum and then adjust the mic/line output but I get volume overload unless the mic/line is at one of the OFF settings.

Sorry for my basic questions, this is my first piece of hardware gear so I'm not used to the controls.
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
Gear addict

Hey Walter,

I'm not familiar with your pre's except of course the RNP, but the GAP-73, like the RNP has boat loads of gain. It's a way different sound to most of the very clean pre's in that it has a bit of color or attitude. I love mine and as I generally record one thing at a time if I want the Nashville (clean pristine) sound I use my Avalon and if I want more of a 60's/70's pop/rock sound I use the GAP. I think you would really like this pre and for the price, you can't hardly go wrong. The GAP has given a new life to many of my mics that get along ok with my other pre's but just love the GAP.
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
Gear addict

You can switch between mic and line with the push button switch labeled D.I. Pressed in (lit up) the line in is active and out the mic in is active. So plug in your mic and engage phantom if it's an active mic, start with the output pot all the way clockwise and same with the input pot. Now say "testing 1,2,3..." and keep clicking the input knob to the left until you have a good signal. The 'off' positions are just handy mutes along the range of the pot so you can kill the amp to change mics or go to line in without pops and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptightkid View Post
Guys....I just got my hands on a Golden Age Pre 73.
The manual is very breezy and I am confused by some points.

The manual says you can switch between mic and line mode using the mic/line dial. The mic/lime dial goes from left to right...

Mic -80, -70, -60, Off, -80, -40, -30, -,20 , OFF, -20. -10, 0, Line 10, OFF

1) What is the deal with OFF appearing at 3 intervals? What is the idea behind that?

2) To use the GA-73 with a mic what settings should I use? Where should I set the mic/line dial

The manual suggest setting the Output dial to maximum and then adjust the mic/line output but I get volume overload unless the mic/line is at one of the OFF settings.

Sorry for my basic questions, this is my first piece of hardware gear so I'm not used to the controls.
RTR
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

The DI button is basically there so you can leave a mic plugged in and a DI...on a lot of units you have to unplug the mic to use the di...that's how I understand it anyway!!
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter tore View Post
Hi All: I record everything live to 6 track and am wondering if the golden age preamp would outclass any of what I have now.
There are samples of the GAP 73 in the big thread somewhere, also compared to the preamps in a Presonus Firestudo. Check it out and decide if it's worth the money!
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
Lives for gear

The "off" position on the gain is because it uses a two stage gain design. The off position is to avoid a nasty pop when the second gain stage kicks in.
Three international #1 hit radio singles
Me: www.vonpimpenstein.com | Studio: www.feistychicken.com | Facebook: www.facebook.com/chriscarterproducer
MIX RATES: Standard major label $700, Standard indie/unsigned $299(temporary price from $550), Promo $49-$99
RTR
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
The "off" position on the gain is because it uses a two stage gain design. The off position is to avoid a nasty pop when the second gain stage kicks in.
Thanks for that info! I did not know that
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
Gear interested

Thank you David C. for the useful information. I will try out your suggested method for getting a nice mic signal when I get home tonight.

Just to confirm my understanding...my understansing now is that the DI button not the mic/line dial that controls whether a mic or line input is being accepted?

Previously I thought I needed to change the mic/line dial to get either mic or line inputs! Doh!

Let you know how I go with the GA-73 now that you have helped with some of my confusion.
6th October 2009
Old 6th October 2009
Lives for gear

I am really considering getting one of these soon to go along with my profire 610. I read the entire big thread about this thing and it seems really impressive for the cost. I would like to hear an A/B with a lower end mic pre. I have only heard it compared to higher end pres like 1073 and a few others. Put up next to a profire or something similar would be nice, anyone?
6th October 2009
Old 6th October 2009
Gear addict

Yeah the input knob is backwards to all my other pre's. It starts all the way clockwise as lowest gain and brings it up turning left which is turning it down on all other volume knobs I've worked with. A bit odd but easy once you get used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptightkid View Post
Thank you David C. for the useful information. I will try out your suggested method for getting a nice mic signal when I get home tonight.

Just to confirm my understanding...my understansing now is that the DI button not the mic/line dial that controls whether a mic or line input is being accepted?

Previously I thought I needed to change the mic/line dial to get either mic or line inputs! Doh!

Let you know how I go with the GA-73 now that you have helped with some of my confusion.
6th October 2009
Old 6th October 2009
Gear interested

Thanks David C.

When I got home I followed your advice and now see what the problem is.

Once I saw for myself how the mic/line dial actually runs counter clockwise everything else fell into place.

cheers for that David C.
6th October 2009
Old 6th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharper23 View Post
I would like to hear an A/B with a lower end mic pre. I have only heard it compared to higher end pres like 1073 and a few others. Put up next to a profire or something similar would be nice, anyone?
As I said before in this thread, search in the big thread about this preamp, it has exactly what you're looking for.
6th October 2009
Old 6th October 2009
Gear addict

Boring answer first: By looking at what you already have, I can't say you NEED the GAP in any way. BUT... it's truly great for its price and it's a good pre for whatever price.

It's cheap.
It's good.
It's gear.
Buy one.
RTR
6th October 2009
Old 6th October 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharper23 View Post
I am really considering getting one of these soon to go along with my profire 610. I read the entire big thread about this thing and it seems really impressive for the cost. I would like to hear an A/B with a lower end mic pre. I have only heard it compared to higher end pres like 1073 and a few others. Put up next to a profire or something similar would be nice, anyone?
Just do it!!! I use it with my 610 and I love it!! shit even my art map gold sounded better than these 610 pre's!!
8th October 2009
Old 8th October 2009
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 View Post
There are samples of the GAP 73 in the big thread somewhere, also compared to the preamps in a Presonus Firestudo. Check it out and decide if it's worth the money!
We compared the PRE73 and Chameleon in stock and modified states, to an all original Neve 1073 actually.

1073 Test: Chameleon Labs 7602 vs Golden Age PRE73 vs Neve 1073

War

10th October 2009
Old 10th October 2009
Lives for gear

3rd November 2009
Old 3rd November 2009
Gear interested

Thumbs up

Hi,

I was just wondering whether anyone else has experienced a relatively low input on the D.I input on the Pre 73?

Ive got my Fender P-Bass plugged into the D.I and have to crank the gain up to about 60dB in order to get a useable output level,but at this kind of gain setting the noisefloor becomes slightly too high for my liking.

Anyone else encounter this?

I would like to pitch in at this point that it is a beautifull sounding pre for the money.I put it up against a real 1073 at a studio here in London the other day it lets just say to my ears it wasnt far off at-all in terms of vibe.Slightly kacking in the extreme ends of the spectrum however not quite as ooomphy in the bass or as airy in the tops...but close.

I also compared it to a Amek Neve 9098 in my home studio last night recording drums and lets just say I was pleasently suprised.Amek wins hands down for honesty and transperancy but the PRE 73 had bags more character and miles of style!Once again though ever so slightly lacking in the extremeties.I had the idea myself of fitting a Carnhill on the output and have noticed that some peeps on here have already had the same idea.Im interested to see how its turned out,because I suspect modding the Output tranny could definetly make up for the requency deficit ive mentioned.

At the end of the day for the dough your splashing out on this Pre you are getting a fantastic bit of gear and their aint no two ways about it!

Erm,so thats my first ever post on gearslutz!!
31st December 2010
Old 31st December 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post
Hi,

I was just wondering whether anyone else has experienced a relatively low input on the D.I input on the Pre 73?

Ive got my Fender P-Bass plugged into the D.I and have to crank the gain up to about 60dB in order to get a useable output level,but at this kind of gain setting the noisefloor becomes slightly too high for my liking.

Anyone else encounter this?
Yeah I have the same issue with my guitar. I have to crank it up to about 60/70dB and encounter more hiss than I would like. I've also carnhill modded mine.

I connect to the input on the front next to the power switch with DI and Low-Z engaged. I also have the volume set to max. My guitar pickups are Seymour Duncan SH-4 JBs.

Is there something I can plug the guitar into first before the preamp to raise the signal to noise level?
2nd May 2013
Old 2nd May 2013
Gear interested

Excellent preamp, the Neve 1073 DPA has more resolution, and sounds more natural especially on vocals, but the coloration you get from the GAP Pre-73 is a must for everyone. I guess upgrading its transformer and transistor is not a bad idea if you can do it properly.

The price for this preamp is at least half of what it's worth.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search