Best 24 channel mixer under $2000?
New Reply
Subscribe
grobichaud
24th September 2009
Old 24th September 2009
Gear maniac

Best 24 channel mixer under $2000?

I need a mixer with 24 pre's, so I know in some cases that could be a '32 channel' mixer cause some have 2 or 3 stereo channels, so if anyone has any input that would be great. Thanks.
24th September 2009
Old 24th September 2009
Lives for gear

Just out of curiosity - what the heck are you doing that requires 24 mics? Sounds slutty!
24th September 2009
Old 24th September 2009
Gear interested

i use a mackie 24.8 on a regular basis. a lot of people talk smack about them, but it's a fine board. the pre's are nothing special, but they're clean. the slew rate is a little slow i think, so they have a mushy bottom end, but if you're a wiz with eq and compression you can work around it no prob.

people say stay away from behringer, which now as a grown-up i'd agree with, but lately i listen to my amateur kiddie recordings from way back when that i did on a little behringer and think they sound pretty clean. again, nothing special, but not grainy or offensive.

i actually like allen & heath. they are a little more expensive, but they have a little more flavor in the pre's. brits.

other than that i think maybe something used, like soundcraft or TAC.

good luck!
grobichaud
24th September 2009
Old 24th September 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$h Marty View Post
Just out of curiosity - what the heck are you doing that requires 24 mics? Sounds slutty!
haha No I'm using it in a home studio for mixing and want to use the pre's on the board so I need 24 channels to go into the board from my interface.

Yeah I have heard good things about the Mackie 24-8 and I ALWAYS hear mixed emotions about Behringer, I'm wondering how their new board sounds. It's weird because I hear good things about Behringer boards on every other site except gearslutz, so I don't know. I'm thinking about renting some boards (one at a time) and testing them out on my set up to see how they stack up. I'll take a look on ebay though from some second hand ones.
24th September 2009
Old 24th September 2009
Lives for gear

Used Soundcraft Delta should get you there.
25th September 2009
Old 25th September 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by grobichaud View Post
...I hear good things about Behringer boards on every other site except gearslutz...
We do our best to be honest around here
Seriously... Despite the up and down performance of their gear, any Behringer comes with a serious case of paranoia. Odds are it won't work when you really need it to. Go with Allen and Heath, GL-series would be my choice for that money.
25th September 2009
Old 25th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
haha No I'm using it in a home studio for mixing and want to use the pre's on the board so I need 24 channels to go into the board from my interface.

Yeah I have heard good things about the Mackie 24-8 and I ALWAYS hear mixed emotions about Behringer, I'm wondering how their new board sounds. It's weird because I hear good things about Behringer boards on every other site except gearslutz, so I don't know. I'm thinking about renting some boards (one at a time) and testing them out on my set up to see how they stack up. I'll take a look on ebay though from some second hand ones.
Are you gonna used to mixer just to mix.? ( I noticed you said you wanna go into the mixer from your interface).If so, and you have pres on your interface for tracking, you'll probably wanna use the mixer's line inputs from your interface...Good luck..
25th September 2009
Old 25th September 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman View Post
Are you gonna used to mixer just to mix.? ( I noticed you said you wanna go into the mixer from your interface).If so, and you have pres on your interface for tracking, you'll probably wanna use the mixer's line inputs from your interface...Good luck..
Will going through the pre's do bad things? I will be doing 90% of the recording on location and mixing on the mixer at home studio. If I do end up using the home studio for more recording I would probably end up getting something like a DigiMax FS or an Octopre.
25th September 2009
Old 25th September 2009
Gear maniac

I use a dynamix 3000 board 32 ch and 16 subs... it sounds f..king awesome and you can get one for aroud your budget, they are pretty old so it may need a good clean but it has that awesome vintage british sound that you cant get with a newer low end board. i was in your position for ages and it took me a while to find this board but it was well worth the wait, pluse it has tones of routing options. thumbsup
25th September 2009
Old 25th September 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Weasel9992
My 32.8 and I have had a stormy relationship. I'm currently in a "hey, it's pretty okay" phase. I'm sure I'll be back in an "I hate you and wish you were never built" state of mind again someday. Just like a girlfriend I had when I was 22, actually. That ended with me fending her off with an unlit ticki torch, but I digress. Under $2,000 there's the 32.8, the Soundtracs Topaz...I can't think of anything else. Both are okay for different reasons but neither are great. Both will smoke any Behringer board made, which isn't saying much. And yes, I've used the Behringer stuff.

Frank
25th September 2009
Old 25th September 2009
Gear addict

check out the used market
Im currently running a 32 channel soundcraft Ghost that I picked up for only £1500 about 6 months ago, It sounds awesome the EQ is amazing for the money also. There are loads of studio routing options which is nice if you are using any outboard gear and its got tape returns so you can go into the desk from the line outs on your interface.

I just wish I lived in the US so I could get my Ghost mod'ed and get my pres, eq and mix bus sounding even better.
grobichaud
25th September 2009
Old 25th September 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel9992 View Post
My 32.8 and I have had a stormy relationship. I'm currently in a "hey, it's pretty okay" phase. I'm sure I'll be back in an "I hate you and wish you were never built" state of mind again someday. Just like a girlfriend I had when I was 22, actually. That ended with me fending her off with an unlit ticki torch, but I digress. Under $2,000 there's the 32.8, the Soundtracs Topaz...I can't think of anything else. Both are okay for different reasons but neither are great. Both will smoke any Behringer board made, which isn't saying much. And yes, I've used the Behringer stuff.

Frank
I have heard good things about the 32.8 but I used to record with a Soundtracs MRX board and it sounded like Heaven, I didn't know you could get a nice Soundtracs board in my price range, I should look into that. Thanks Frank.
25th September 2009
Old 25th September 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Weasel9992
Quote:
I have heard good things about the 32.8 but I used to record with a Soundtracs MRX board and it sounded like Heaven, I didn't know you could get a nice Soundtracs board in my price range, I should look into that. Thanks Frank.
Oh yeah. The Topaz falls well under the $2,000 mark. I've seen them on ebay for $1,100 before...I think. Might be more like $1,400.

Frank
25th September 2009
Old 25th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Will going through the pre's do bad things? I will be doing 90% of the recording on location and mixing on the mixer at home studio. If I do end up using the home studio for more recording I would probably end up getting something like a DigiMax FS or an Octopre.
Hello.. Well not if you're gonna use the preamps on the console for tracking at mic level..( ie..mics, DI, etc.)..I was just under the impression that you may be coming out of your interface at line level, which may/may not, be too hot for the pre input.(distortion, clipping, unless you're gonna use the pad on the console, which I don't like using..)..Good luck
6th October 2009
Old 6th October 2009
Gear interested

get a mackie

6th October 2009
Old 6th October 2009
Lives for gear

Check out a Yamaha MG32/14 FX brand new for $1,250 or an Allen & Heath ZED428 new for $1,800.

I have a couple of Yamaha MG series mixers and they are clean and quiet. No more Behringer for me....ever. Out of six mixers I now have zero.
6th October 2009
Old 6th October 2009
Gear nut

You could get a Crest for around $1600. I've never used one in a posting scenario but I've used them live and I like them. Well built units.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search