New Reply
Subscribe
martyfireball
8th September 2005
Old 8th September 2005
Gear interested

my drum sound - advice please!

http://www.audiostreet.net/artist.as...recordid=70641

This is a clip from a recent project I completed. These are the drum tracks mixed a little but with no processing.
Any comments/advice is very welcome as I'm constantly trying to improve and learn.

Recorded into AMD Athlon XP-based DAW running Sonar 4.0.3, via a Terratec Phase 88 soundcard. All pre-amps are the ones in my Spirit Folio SX except the snare top which is thru a Focusrite VoiceMaster Platinum Pro.
Mics are:
snare top: SM57
snare bottom: T.Bone MB75 dynamic.
Toms and kick: Red5 RVK5 drum mics.
O/H's: T.Bone EM800 x2 small diaphram condenser.

Other mics that I have available for future projects are:
Joe Meek JM47 large diaphram condenser.
T.Bone SC300 large diaphram condenser.
T.Bone CD55 dynamic.
T.Bone MB85 beta dynamic.
Red5 RVD20 dynamic.

Cheers,
Marty

Ideas above our station!
9th September 2005
Old 9th September 2005
Gear interested

well i'm certainly not an expert but heres a few things that have helped me out with drums,

try the jm47 outside the kick drum, i use a woofer from an NS-10 and blended with a mic inside the drum can open alot of options and make things sound alittle more real

also, my drums improved (imho) immensly when i started using a room mic, just play around with different options, try compressing the hell out of it (or anything)

good luck
9th September 2005
Old 9th September 2005
Lives for gear

I'm not sure if you mic, preamp, room, or mic position is the problem, but the crash cymbals (especially the one on the right) sounds funky to me. If you ceiling is short you might want to treat it over the drums. If one of the Oh mics is right over it you might want to move it a bit off axis, or raise its height (watch phase). If the mic or preamp can't handle the complexities of cymbals, its time to switch it out. Cymbals have a huge dynamic range, they go from a scream to a whisper in a couple of milliseconds. You might not 'see' any distortion on your meters, because they are not fast enough, but it very well may be there.

I'm a big room mic fan too. For metal you might want to try a 'less crispy mic' and see if it adds depth but not high-end splash. If however the guitars and bass are really bright, more like classic metal, a brighter mic might work. I like the room mics to add splash often, but sometimes darker room mics add a nice depth, which is a good flavor too.
Follow me on TWITTER!

WWJMD?

Come see me on the Tape Op boards!

It's only inches on the reel to reel
martyfireball
9th September 2005
Old 9th September 2005
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound
I'm not sure if you mic, preamp, room, or mic position is the problem, but the crash cymbals (especially the one on the right) sounds funky to me.
AYe, off course it had a bloody big crack in it, which didn't help.

Quote:
If you ceiling is short you might want to treat it over the drums.
Just done that (after this session). Some 100mm rockwool into the rafters.

Quote:
If the mic or preamp can't handle the complexities of cymbals, its time to switch it out. Cymbals have a huge dynamic range, they go from a scream to a whisper in a couple of milliseconds. You might not 'see' any distortion on your meters, because they are not fast enough, but it very well may be there.
Well the pre's are in the Folio SX so I doubt they are much cop, and the mics were real cheap. I have a new souncard with better convertors planned and a mic upgrade too..maybe some rode NT5 would suit my budget but help my recordings.

Quote:
I'm a big room mic fan too. For metal you might want to try a 'less crispy mic' and see if it adds depth but not high-end splash. If however the guitars and bass are really bright, more like classic metal, a brighter mic might work. I like the room mics to add splash often, but sometimes darker room mics add a nice depth, which is a good flavor too.
Not enough inputs yet, but the new soundcard should sort that out.
Much appreciated,
Cheers.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search