Login / Register

Unusual room setup...HALP. (diagrams incl.)
New Reply
Subscribe
TrAlex
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Gear interested

Unusual room setup...HALP. (diagrams incl.)

So I've been reading and getting ready to setup a room in my house. This is the best room my house has, as far as dimensions are concerned. The ceiling is lower than ideal, (8 feet,) but hey, what are ya gonna do? It's low end theory after all. I've posted the bare room, and my best guess as to how to treat the room so far. I'll bass trap the corners and near the back, as well as placing four panels on the ceiling above me. All bass traps will be 4" mineral wool/rock wool panels, given that I'm on a shoestring budget.

QUESTIONS:

1.) How should I place the bass traps along the back?

The room is 12' 8" wide, and I took the doors off the double closets on one end of the room, which SORT OF gives me 16' 10" long. The obvious caveat is that I have little wall sections jutting out of the back of the room. I'm thinking making a pseudo wall of bass traps with gaps in between them might help "flatten out" those wall sections jutting out of the back, but I'm not sure about placement. If I place them as in the drawing, will they help, or just wind up making the room sound totally awkward and square-ish? It would be nice if I could knock out those wall sections, but that's unfortunately not an option.

2.) What to I do with that darned window on the side? Just board it up?

There is a 36" window front and center that I plan on covering up with bass traps, but there is a 60" window on the long wall that I just don't know how to treat. Bass trapping it would be more expensive, since I think I'd have to match it on the other side of the room, and I haven't been able to find a gold standard for what to do with windows that big yet.

3.)What am I doing wrong/forgetting here? I'm sure there's got to be SOMETHING.

Sorry I'm such a newb. I HAVE read a ton of threads and the guides Ethan and the other guys post frequently though.
Thanks in advance everybody,

TrAlex
Attached Thumbnails
Unusual room setup...HALP. (diagrams incl.)-room-idea.jpg   Unusual room setup...HALP. (diagrams incl.)-bare-room.jpg  
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Gear Head

A couple of points come to mind. If your graphic is mostly accurate, the side window is past your point of first reflection so isn't as critical as you might think, plus you can open it for the best possible bass-trapping/broadband absorption. Sealing it over and covering with whatever the opposite wall is made of (plasterboard?) will give your room more acoustic symmetry, but I honestly think this is less critical beyond your monitor placement and your monitoring position, plus general room treatment.

As for the closet at the back of the room, Id probably put some acoustic treatment in there, but also use them for general storage. I have a large bookshelf at the back of my mixing room and it acts as a pretty decent diffusor.
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaflux View Post
the side window is past your point of first reflection so isn't as critical as you might think
Agreed.
25th August 2009
Old 25th August 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
If I place them as in the drawing, will they help, or just wind up making the room sound totally awkward and square-ish? It would be nice if I could knock out those wall sections, but that's unfortunately not an option.
That is not a bad idea, but also filling the closet work work pretty well as point out above.

Quote:
3.)What am I doing wrong/forgetting here? I'm sure there's got to be SOMETHING.
Looks like you are doing pretty well. See the following room layout to use as a guide.
GIK Acoustics: Room Setup
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
22nd September 2009
Old 22nd September 2009
Gear interested

Glad I saw this... My room is very similar layout (including closet at back) except unfortunately for me, the side window to my left IS on my first reflection point if I'm at 38% , and I also have a recessed wood panel door on the opposite side.

Given this situ, whats the best solution in your opinions? the window in recessed, so I could sit a 2-3" panel on the sill & cover most of the window & do the same on the opposite door (I dont need to use em)
Or should I just wheel my seat forward a few inches to 30% and miss the window altogether?

Any wisdom would be dead welcome!
22nd September 2009
Old 22nd September 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

I'd put an absorber panel on a stand there. Or hang it with long wires from the ceiling. If the window is low enough, resting it on the sill is okay. But if the bottom of the panel isn't at least a foot below ear level, you need to put it in the right place, not the easy place. Heh

--Ethan
22nd September 2009
Old 22nd September 2009
Gear interested

I will be repeating the Mantra of "Right place, not the easy place" many times this week I fear! Oh if only the two would align!

Thanks tho Ethan, that's helpful advice indeed.

The window is about 5 feet tall by 3 feet wide, and recessed about 4" so I think I can hang the panel from the top of the sill & draw the curtain...

Just realised as well that dead opposite this on my right reflection point is the frame of a door, meaning my correct position to hang that one is half on wall & half over doorway. bugger. Maybe I'll just hang myself instead..
At least I'm skinny & the door opens outwards. Small mercies.
23rd September 2009
Old 23rd September 2009
has all the gear he needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsparx View Post
Maybe I'll just hang myself instead.
Don't do it, man!

It's just music.

I'll be doggin' these room threads for a while as I look for a new place to live with a decent room.

Leonard Scaper
25th September 2009
Old 25th September 2009
Gear interested

Good luck to you sir!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search