New Reply
Subscribe
beatifictatter
21st August 2009
Old 21st August 2009
Gear nut

art mpa gold noise coming and going

hello

i know similar threads exist but i appear to have a slightly different problem to the general 'noise' issue some mpa gold users complain of...

today whilst tracking, half way through a session i noticed that the input level had dropped by about 2 thirds and when i monitored the input i could hear noise which wasn't there before.....

im running se z5600a mkiI mic in to art mpa gold in to focusrite pro 40.

the odd thing was that when i through confusion and desperation flicked the -10dB pad switch on the z5600 mic (activating it, then deactivating it again), the little pop that that action made seemed to solve the problem....the noise disappeared and the input level lifted back to normal...

but then an hour later the same thing happened.....reduced level and a lot of noise....
the same thing cured it again...

im only 6 months in to learning about all this and i dont know anything about electronics yet....has anyone else had this problem or any idea what the problem might be?

thanks
21st August 2009
Old 21st August 2009
Gear nut

hmm, maybe try a separate external phantom supply other than the art's internal
21st August 2009
Old 21st August 2009
Lives for gear

Is it in one or both channels? If it's in one channel, it is likely a tube problem. If it's in both, perhaps it's a power issue.

Tube information and sales: ProAudioTubes@aol.com
beatifictatter
22nd August 2009
Old 22nd August 2009
Gear nut

i wasnt using phantom power, not needed with that mic.....

both channels.....

i'll have another ho today but any suggestions would be very much appreciated....
23rd August 2009
Old 23rd August 2009
Lives for gear

Just a guess but I'm gonna say it's a grounding issue. Try using one of those little orange 3 prong in - 2 prong out adapters and see if that doesn't fix things.
14th September 2009
Old 14th September 2009
Gear interested

Art MPA noise

I'm have a big problem with noise coming from my Art MPA. I get about -54.1 db of noise that is totally noticeable. And if I route it to something like a Guitar Rig distortion track, the noise become unbearable. I'm running both channels through balances T/R/S cable into my M-Audio Delta 44 box. The M-Audio box accepts balances input as well.

The funny thing is, If I turn off the Art MPA, the noise is still there. But If i disconnect the 2 cables from the M-Audio 44, the noise is gone. I've tested my outlet, and it has a good ground and everything. I'm lost here.

I can even hear extra noise when I move my mouse and click on stuff. Any ideas before I send my preamp to Art to see if it needs to be fixed?
14th September 2009
Old 14th September 2009
Gear nut

ART MPA noise

Make sure to recheck all cables and connectors going into and out of your MPA. Lift the ground on the ART MPA.For you to say even if you move mouse or click on or off a program while your mpa is patched into your system their is noise, it can mean their's maybe a tube that is shorting out completely or even intermittently.
14th September 2009
Old 14th September 2009
Gear interested

*** SOLUTION ***

After scratching my head all day, I found the issue. The case I bought was a rack mount case that just so happened to be painted on the inside too. So I took everything completely out and scratched the paint off of everywhere a screw goes down to bare metal. Power supply screw holes, mother board screw holes , hard drive screw holes, and Pci card screw holes. I made sure everywhere there was a screw that the component getting screwed in was metal against metal. Power supply medal against the case metal etc.

And after hooking everything back up.. The noise was GONE!!!

So all in all.. it was a ground issue somewhere. hope this can help someone in the future.
14th September 2009
Old 14th September 2009
Gear nut

Mpa noise

Good to hear you have everything under control now go make some great music.
15th September 2009
Old 15th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatifictatter View Post
hello

the odd thing was that when i through confusion and desperation flicked the -10dB pad switch on the z5600 mic (activating it, then deactivating it again), the little pop that that action made seemed to solve the problem....the noise disappeared and the input level lifted back to normal...

but then an hour later the same thing happened.....reduced level and a lot of noise....
the same thing cured it again...

thanks
Sounds more like the mic than the pre.
15th September 2009
Old 15th September 2009
Gear interested

I have been using a little ART tube MP V3 for a while and the first thing to consider is that the ART tube pre-amps come with shitty chinese tubes installed. Tubes like that will go noisy without warning and in fact are not that quiet to begin with. I recommend replacing the 12ax7 with old stock RCA 7025 or 5751. These are extremely quiet and have spiral wound anti hum filaments. The other factor is I've noticed that the art pre's are a tad noisy anyway. Nice tone but not the most quiet units. I still like my little tube MP. For $65 you wouldn't find a better little pre. It was a bit of a bitch changing the tube however and it's a delicate and difficult job. Anyway people should get wise to the fact that tube gear is nothing without good tubes. Especially studio recording gear.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search