Login / Register

Cheap 2-4 ch pre/DI with spdif or lightpipe
New Reply
Subscribe
Jonesfromindia
11th August 2009
Old 11th August 2009
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to Jonesfromindia Send a message via MSN to Jonesfromindia
Cheap 2-4 ch pre/DI with spdif or lightpipe

Hey slutz,

Im looking for a super cheap 2-4 channel mic pre or DI combo to lightpipe or spdif to my profire 2626.

Purpose: most cases i will be using all 8 pre's for drums, and wont have room to plug in guitars and bass.

i do plan on purchasing a high quality pre later in my career. but for now. cheap cheap cheap...$200 or less

any ideas?
11th August 2009
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesfromindia View Post
Hey slutz,

Im looking for a super cheap 2-4 channel mic pre or DI combo to lightpipe or spdif to my profire 2626.

Purpose: most cases i will be using all 8 pre's for drums, and wont have room to plug in guitars and bass.

i do plan on purchasing a high quality pre later in my career. but for now. cheap cheap cheap...$200 or less

any ideas?
Probably an used Behringer ADA-8000 and get a DI box for Bass/guitar.. ( even tho it's 8 channels instead of 4..)
11th August 2009
Old 11th August 2009
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to Jonesfromindia Send a message via MSN to Jonesfromindia
i wasnt looking for just a converter. i was looking for a mic pre (2-4) with conversion that i could lightpipe or spdif to my profire
12th August 2009
Old 12th August 2009
Gear addict

A used ART DPS or DPS II should be easy to find sub-$200. You might be able to find a Digital MPA (better unit) for about that much if you're lucky.

Other than that, I don't think there's much for 2-channel pres under $200 with digital outs, unfortunately.

Of course, you could split it up and maybe have better luck that way. I saw an ART DI/O (A/D-D/A converter) go for $25 on eBay a few days ago. See if you can find a good deal on one, and then you could be open to more cheap/used 2-channel pre/DI options with the rest of your cash (tons of cheap ART stuff, M-Audio DMP3 or Audio Buddy, Symetrix 202, Aphex 107, etc.)...
12th August 2009
Old 12th August 2009
Lives for gear

You aren't going to find anything that cheap. I have a DBX 386 that I upgraded the tubes in. You can hear the difference here:

Shootout: DBX 386 Tube upgrade

I paid 300 for it used on Ebay, and put $90 worth of tubes in it.

The 386 with a NOS Mullard tube is my main front end now and I am very happy with it.
12th August 2009
Old 12th August 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesfromindia View Post
i wasnt looking for just a converter. i was looking for a mic pre (2-4) with conversion that i could lightpipe or spdif to my profire
the ada8000 does what you are asking. it has 8 mic pre's and adat lightpipe i/o and is well within your price rance.

hell, at $199 on fleabay you get a choice of freebies two cheap mics, or bnc and optical cable
Jonesfromindia
12th August 2009
Old 12th August 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris k View Post
the ada8000 does what you are asking. it has 8 mic pre's and adat lightpipe i/o and is well within your price rance.

hell, at $199 on fleabay you get a choice of freebies two cheap mics, or bnc and optical cable
oh sweet. right on. i totally didnt even look it up, i thought it was strictly a DA.

I can get discounts so a new ada8000 will do me good...

problem solved. thanks guys!!!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search