Cheap 2-4 ch pre/DI with spdif or lightpipe
Jonesfromindia
Thread Starter
#1
11th August 2009
Old 11th August 2009
  #1
Gear maniac
 
Jonesfromindia's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Cheap 2-4 ch pre/DI with spdif or lightpipe

Hey slutz,

Im looking for a super cheap 2-4 channel mic pre or DI combo to lightpipe or spdif to my profire 2626.

Purpose: most cases i will be using all 8 pre's for drums, and wont have room to plug in guitars and bass.

i do plan on purchasing a high quality pre later in my career. but for now. cheap cheap cheap...$200 or less

any ideas?
#2
11th August 2009
Old 11th August 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesfromindia View Post
Hey slutz,

Im looking for a super cheap 2-4 channel mic pre or DI combo to lightpipe or spdif to my profire 2626.

Purpose: most cases i will be using all 8 pre's for drums, and wont have room to plug in guitars and bass.

i do plan on purchasing a high quality pre later in my career. but for now. cheap cheap cheap...$200 or less

any ideas?
Probably an used Behringer ADA-8000 and get a DI box for Bass/guitar.. ( even tho it's 8 channels instead of 4..)
Jonesfromindia
Thread Starter
#3
11th August 2009
Old 11th August 2009
  #3
Gear maniac
 
Jonesfromindia's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
i wasnt looking for just a converter. i was looking for a mic pre (2-4) with conversion that i could lightpipe or spdif to my profire
#4
12th August 2009
Old 12th August 2009
  #4
Gear addict
 
Ry-Fi's Avatar
 

A used ART DPS or DPS II should be easy to find sub-$200. You might be able to find a Digital MPA (better unit) for about that much if you're lucky.

Other than that, I don't think there's much for 2-channel pres under $200 with digital outs, unfortunately.

Of course, you could split it up and maybe have better luck that way. I saw an ART DI/O (A/D-D/A converter) go for $25 on eBay a few days ago. See if you can find a good deal on one, and then you could be open to more cheap/used 2-channel pre/DI options with the rest of your cash (tons of cheap ART stuff, M-Audio DMP3 or Audio Buddy, Symetrix 202, Aphex 107, etc.)...
#5
12th August 2009
Old 12th August 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 

You aren't going to find anything that cheap. I have a DBX 386 that I upgraded the tubes in. You can hear the difference here:

Shootout: DBX 386 Tube upgrade

I paid 300 for it used on Ebay, and put $90 worth of tubes in it.

The 386 with a NOS Mullard tube is my main front end now and I am very happy with it.
#6
12th August 2009
Old 12th August 2009
  #6
Gear interested
 
chris k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesfromindia View Post
i wasnt looking for just a converter. i was looking for a mic pre (2-4) with conversion that i could lightpipe or spdif to my profire
the ada8000 does what you are asking. it has 8 mic pre's and adat lightpipe i/o and is well within your price rance.

hell, at $199 on fleabay you get a choice of freebies two cheap mics, or bnc and optical cable
Jonesfromindia
Thread Starter
#7
12th August 2009
Old 12th August 2009
  #7
Gear maniac
 
Jonesfromindia's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris k View Post
the ada8000 does what you are asking. it has 8 mic pre's and adat lightpipe i/o and is well within your price rance.

hell, at $199 on fleabay you get a choice of freebies two cheap mics, or bnc and optical cable
oh sweet. right on. i totally didnt even look it up, i thought it was strictly a DA.

I can get discounts so a new ada8000 will do me good...

problem solved. thanks guys!!!
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
maelstrom99 / So much gear, so little time!
17
morebutter / So much gear, so little time!
1
GravityRobert / Low End Theory
0
Idiot Wind / Low End Theory
1
Razor Blade / High end
1

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.