Yamaha N12 = Bananas?!
New Reply
Subscribe
Sherman90
18th June 2009
Old 18th June 2009
Gear nut

Thumbs up Yamaha N12 = The Bee's Knees!

Still looking for my first interface. I need a minimum of 8 inputs and I like the idea of 8 integrated mic preamps for quick and easy recording. So I'm looking fairly carefully at the likes of the ART Tubefire 8 and the MOTU Pre8, right up to the Mackie 800R - a fair spectrum of capable units. Then I learn about the Yamaha N12 and ZING! A pretty penny, yes, but I trust the name and the added integration of a high-level mixer is like cream caramel. On top of that, I just have this FEELING that the preamps in that Yamaha are miles above the ART and the MOTU, and right up there with Mackdaddy or better. With direct firewire to boot!

Am I missing something, or is this the Yamana N12 just plain bananas?
18th June 2009
Old 18th June 2009
Gear nut

Yamaha is growing a bad reputation in their hardware-software department. They make great instruments and hardware, but when it comes to software and drivers they could use a major crash course in support and customer service. Look for a lot of disappointed owners of their older interfaces once Windows 7 and Snow Leopard come around.
18th June 2009
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

Don't forget the M-Audio 2626. You can get it bundled with Protools 8 for $730 from Unique Squared. The ad says 7.4, but when you register you get a free upgrade to version 8, that's what I did. Not a bad deal for the price. I'm real happy with the unit. As with "ANY" firewire based unit, make sure you get a good TI based firewire adapter. It'll save you a ton of headaches down the road.

"I'll have to check with my Dad about that one. He knows everything, Mom says he's a Know-It-All."
Sherman90
19th June 2009
Old 19th June 2009
Gear nut

N12 + MLA8 = Confusion

Still contemplating the N12 pretty heavily. It is my preferred choice in the sub $1000 range, and I've been lucky enough to locate one nearby at a great price brand new (~$800).

I've also taken a gander at the MLA8 and had a question about it. Because this is purely a mic amplifier (i.e. 8 mic preamps) with no fireface output, how, exactly, do I make use of the device? Could somebody give me an example?

It looks like it can link up via a D-Sub 25 pin cable; so is there such a thing as an interface that just has the D-sub plugin and solid converters? Or is there a mixer with a D-Sub 25 pin that also doubles as an interface?

Just a bit confused.
19th June 2009
Old 19th June 2009
Gear nut

MLA8 is designed to be used as extra preamps with Yamaha O1v96, 02R96, DM1000, DM2000 not the N series. You can connect two N's though, if you need more inputs.

19th June 2009
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Head

You can also get a d sub 25 to 8 TRS breakout cable.
23rd June 2009
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to Groberts Send a message via MSN to Groberts
I'm surprised there aren't more Yamaha N12 fans posting here. Hmmm Sure seems like it packs a LOT of features with very nice preamps, very usable channel EQ, compression and great reverb for the money. I have not used one, but I can see why you find it so tempting.
23rd June 2009
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I'm surprised there aren't more Yamaha N12 fans posting here. Hmmm Sure seems like it packs a LOT of features with very nice preamps, very usable channel EQ, compression and great reverb for the money. I have not used one, but I can see why you find it so tempting.
Have you not seen the n Series thread with 128,000 views?

That's where you'll find most n12 users hanging out.

Yamaha n Series
23rd June 2009
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrage View Post
Have you not seen the n Series thread with 128,000 views?

That's where you'll find most n12 users hanging out.

Yamaha n Series
Yeah I've seen that post. But to be honest, it looks like almost 100 pages of driver issues and upgrade problems on Windows machines. It's not exactly 100 pages of; "Wow, this Yamaha N12 or N8 is just mind blowing great!" People seem to like them, but I can't think of another thread with 100 pages of driver related issues. Not Dissin', ... Just sayin'.
Sherman90
23rd June 2009
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear nut

Well, I'm just waiting on a local vendor to get back to me on an offer I made for a new N12 ($~800 to my door). So one way or another, it looks like the N12 willl be my new, my only, and my main piece of recording kit fairly soon. Now I'm just looking to buy a couple of nice condensers!

I know about the "n series" thread, but it's nearly impossible to navigate and just chalk-full of too many side-issues and driver-related problems, as others have pointed out. I simply wanted a few owners to come out of the woodworks and confirm what my senses have been telling me: that this is a highly innovative, high quality, do-it-all interface that would make an excellent first or even main piece of rig for a budding home studio.

Thanks for all your input, guys. I wish I could hear more.

With regards to drivers, I'll be using a (fairly recent) MAC so hopefully I won't be running into many of the problems others have been having.
23rd June 2009
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman90 View Post
Well, I'm just waiting on a local vendor to get back to me on an offer I made for a new N12 ($~800 to my door). So one way or another, it looks like the N12 willl be my new, my only, and my main piece of recording kit fairly soon. Now I'm just looking to buy a couple of nice condensers!

I know about the "n series" thread, but it's nearly impossible to navigate and just chalk-full of too many side-issues and driver-related problems, as others have pointed out. I simply wanted a few owners to come out of the woodworks and confirm what my senses have been telling me: that this is a highly innovative, high quality, do-it-all interface that would make an excellent first or even main piece of rig for a budding home studio.

Thanks for all your input, guys. I wish I could hear more.

With regards to drivers, I'll be using a (fairly recent) MAC so hopefully I won't be running into many of the problems others have been having.
Almost all of the issues have been related to people not following exact directions when installing/updating drivers. I'm on a PC and the n12 and it's drivers have been perfect for 1 1/2 years.

I'm sure you'll really enjoy the n12.
23rd June 2009
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

The driver issues arent as bad as they might seem from that thread, but even with that in account, the N12 is great equipment for it's price range for the conversion alone. The pres also have a sound quality that I happen to like very very much, very airy.

If your workflow calls for it, it will work out fine.
23rd June 2009
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

Am I missing something, or is this the Yamana N12 just plain bananas?

It's bananas, B A N A N A S!

Sorry, couldn't resist my pop programming.
23rd June 2009
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzkingsley View Post
Yamaha is growing a bad reputation in their hardware-software department. They make great instruments and hardware, but when it comes to software and drivers they could use a major crash course in support and customer service. Look for a lot of disappointed owners of their older interfaces once Windows 7 and Snow Leopard come around.
Not sure where you are getting your info but it is most certainly wrong.

I got my N12 and I got it working perfectly on my MAC, then Vista-64 gave me trouble. Gave Yamaha a call, they called me back, had it up and running in 15 minutes. I don't know of ANY other company that has gotten me up and running that fast, usually I'm waiting on HOLD for that long.

Now, as far as the N12 goes:

AWESOME Pre's
AWESOME Conversion
Excellent compressors, made my bassist's bass sound MEAN, my kick and toms sound excellent and punchy
EASY to use, plug in mics/DI stuffs, set gain, set compression, EQ reverb etc... RECORD!
GOOD Monitoring features.

I compared this A/B/C with a MOTU 893mk3, and my old Presonus Firepod.
N12 won handily in every way. I used to have a hard time getting the motivation after classes/gym to record/mix, but since I have gotten the N12 I notice I spend more and more time each week in my music software, and less time wasting time!
Not only is it well built, but it looks nice too.
23rd June 2009
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear maniac

I still say the n12 and n8 are some of the best valued products in recording. Rock solid drivers. No pops or clicks in two years of use. We have installed the drivers on over 15 PC's never an issue. Not to mention the amazing feature set. A used n8 may be the perfect budget minded home studio tool.

By the way the support (when needed) was some of the best I have seen.

I do wish it had more out's

Rob

MY Music:
www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=814924&content=music
23rd June 2009
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear addict

I would love to hear your reports of the Yamaha N12 on your recent Mac. I'm betting it's going to be great and trouble free. From what I've seen on the Yamaha Mega thread, the driver issues were related to Vista. But it sure seems that many people said they followed the directions exactly and still had issues. That's a LOT of stupid user issues. Makes me wonder if the Yamaha driver or upgrade process is somewhat flawed, or overly strict.

In any event, I want to try a Yamaha N12 at some point. All the praise for it's excellent preamps, converters, compression and DSP says a lot.
Sherman90
24th June 2009
Old 24th June 2009
Gear nut

n12 as a live board

Many thanks for all your input, especially dosilegecko and gurian.

I'm still waiting for word from the store I left the offer with. I have a feeling I'll be in possession of the n12 within the next 10 days or so, and based on my research and the posts in this thread and elsewhere I am extremely excited by the prospect. I'd be more than happy to provide feedback of my experience with the unit once I get cracking, but I would like to remind everyone that I am an ABSOLUTE novice looking to get his feet wet in a good way.

I did have another question for you guys. I've heard the n12 described as lending itself more to "studio" than "live recording" work. Well, one of my main attractions to this unit (and others with a large number of built in preamps) is precisely the ability to record live. I have a band back in Toronto and we like to record all of our music as it happens - improvised. Is there any reason to think that the n12 wouldn't be a strong performer for such purposes?

Cheers!!
24th June 2009
Old 24th June 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Many thanks for all your input, especially dosilegecko and gurian.

I'm still waiting for word from the store I left the offer with. I have a feeling I'll be in possession of the n12 within the next 10 days or so, and based on my research and the posts in this thread and elsewhere I am extremely excited by the prospect. I'd be more than happy to provide feedback of my experience with the unit once I get cracking, but I would like to remind everyone that I am an ABSOLUTE novice looking to get his feet wet in a good way.

I did have another question for you guys. I've heard the n12 described as lending itself more to "studio" than "live recording" work. Well, one of my main attractions to this unit (and others with a large number of built in preamps) is precisely the ability to record live. I have a band back in Toronto and we like to record all of our music as it happens - improvised. Is there any reason to think that the n12 wouldn't be a strong performer for such purposes?

Cheers!!
In that context, it's still a recording console. It should work great! I know people who do that same thing on what I consider to be a lesser Alesis I0/26 Recording board. But you do need to route everything into the Yamaha, and then out to your FOH mains. Can't see why that would be a problem. Then with each channel, you can edit later in your DAW software.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search