Login / Register

Best Budget Mics - My Recommendations
New Reply
Subscribe
21st February 2011
Old 21st February 2011
Lives for gear

What about this one?

It was also suggested to check out the Avantone CV-28.

I am interested in in this though, if anybody has used them?:
THE T.BONE SCT200 - Thomann UK Cyberstore

After recently using some old ALTEC tube "lipstick" mics at a buddy's, I really want to try out some tube sdc's on OH's at my place.

We didn't use the altecs in the traditional x/y setup, but an oddball spaced pair, as they overloaded a bit with this loud drummer. Had to back them off some, but it worked nice. At first, I thought most of the sound we got was the position and room, but I tried this mic position in my room, and it was DEFINITELY mostly the ALTECS.

I was telling somebody today, that after using the ALTECs, my perception of what sounds "nice', and maybe even real over a drum set has changed.

Eye opener. They don't make them like they used to I guess.

This bums me out, because now I have to find something similar or it's going to bug me forever. The ALTECS are not cheap anymore either. In the 80's, people couldn't freaking give them away.

Anyways, let me know on the T-BONE thing...curious.

Thanks,
john
Michael_Joly
21st February 2011
Old 21st February 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON IN ORBIT View Post
II am interested in in this though, if anybody has used them?:
THE T.BONE SCT200 - Thomann UK Cyberstore
See post #625 above. Standard 22mm diameter "603" class of capsule and body venting with 8dB HF peak. Decent tube circuit topology and transformer but compromised by coupling capacitors used.
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
Gear interested

T-bone SCT200 schematic

Hello,

Can anyone here help me to get the schematic diagram for a T-Bone SCT200 mic ?

Thanks !
26th December 2011
Old 26th December 2011
Gear Head

NT1000 inside pic

Here's the inside of my NT1000 made in 2001.

Does anyone know what capsule this is?
(The rode website says 1" H2 capsule made in Aust but I wonder if that includes this early model)

Any upgrades and what improvements can be made?

This is built like a tank and is very easy to disassemble.

26th December 2011
Old 26th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmeman View Post
Here's the inside of my NT1000 made in 2001.

Does anyone know what capsule this is?
(The rode website says 1" H2 capsule made in Aust but I wonder if that includes this early model)

Any upgrades and what improvements can be made?

This is built like a tank and is very easy to disassemble.

It's still the Rhode capsule, that's what and why they make their own mic, that's what started them out, their main guy is a capsule designer and came up with a unique design nobody else had.
I'd change that first cap, the little white box, to a polypropylene of the same value. Other than that I'd leave it alone.

Most of these new mics need a low pass filter on the gain stage transistor. That polyester cap doesn't help that at all.

I won't use pitch correcting software. I use "coaching" maybe you've heard of it. It keeps working even when you don't have it on.
27th December 2011
Old 27th December 2011
Gear Head

@thanks for that tip memphisindie

I noticed a guy on ebay that does some component mods on NT's. I've sent him an email to find out exactly what he does.
27th December 2011
Old 27th December 2011
Lives for gear

Cool. I'll have to check that out.
27th December 2011
Old 27th December 2011
Gear Head

This the email I got back.

"I replace junk components, and other poor part choices, with sonically superior, and more appropriate, components"

[Robin Williams enters]

"Its a sad day for capsules all over the world I . . . I . . . I . . don't know what
they're doin but there's junk components everywhere. Butt dawgawnit I'm
gointa git em AWWWWLLLL"
27th December 2011
Old 27th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmeman View Post
This the email I got back.

"I replace junk components, and other poor part choices, with sonically superior, and more appropriate, components"

[Robin Williams enters]

"Its a sad day for capsules all over the world I . . . I . . . I . . don't know what
they're doin but there's junk components everywhere. Butt dawgawnit I'm
gointa git em AWWWWLLLL"
Haha! Yeah, modders who do it for a living don't give out their details.
Well, if you read up on electronics you'll get the basics, and the stuff that Matti, Jim Williams, and a few others post here are very helpful regarding modding, but, to spot the junk, you need to know what you're looking for and what you want the piece to do in the end sonically.
I have two polypro caps, one stock, one I bought on purpose which I know is superior, I can swap out that part and because of the value and the construction, even though its the same material, they'll sound pretty different, they'll have common traits attributed to that material, but, they'll have differences that will be quality control issues.
27th December 2011
Old 27th December 2011
Lives for gear

In a sense I'd say this would fall within the realm of tayloring rather than improving. Tight component tolerances are key attributes in addition to construction materials...things that most mass assemblers will skimp on in order to reduce costs. You'd be surprized how much a +/-20% tol. swing (what most off the shelf capacitors hold as 'standard') can affect an end result.

OOps...Did I say too much??
27th December 2011
Old 27th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analok View Post
In a sense I'd say this would fall within the realm of tayloring rather than improving. Tight component tolerances are key attributes in addition to construction materials...things that most mass assemblers will skimp on in order to reduce costs. You'd be surprized how much a +/-20% tol. swing (what most off the shelf capacitors hold as 'standard') can affect an end result.

OOps...Did I say too much??
Not at all, most crappy sound can be attributed to things like that.
There are also standards you should know about about materials, certain materials can get to a 1% tolerance, others can't beat a 10% tolerance, and you probably wouldn't use them in the same section or place even if you could get them in the same value and voltage ratings.
Each material works to a specific range of tolerances, voltage ratings, and size constraints before they either don't work or become too large to use.
You also have the situation where you need a large value precision tolerance part and can't get that just anywhere and where to get something like that. Like a HUGE value polypro.
Different materials and construction methods make two very similar parts made of the same materials but different physical construction design not interchangeable without bad effects, such as certain ceramic caps and electrolytic caps.
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012
Lives for gear

There's no reason this thread can't just go on forever. Some famous books have been around for years!

Re the smiley face eq SP B1, No Foolin!
That was the first mic I bought and it was like a boom car. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

LP
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Lives for gear

ADK TC tube mic $300 used
2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
Gear nut

First of all, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't laugh at my ideas since I'm not exactly a geekslut...

Well, now, since I have somewhat modest project studio, I usually record starving artist that would rather exchange a body part for some studio time than pay for it in cold cash. I've been offered all kinds of equipment in compensation.

Among all this equipment, the one that pops up most often is Rode NT-1(a). I've heard numerous times that it has pretty solid electronics and Jim Williams' implemented Schoeps-like circuit, so the mod that would make most sense (beside grill mod) would be 'simple' capsule change. I wondered what capsule could be appropriate and then I remembered one of my beaten up 219s. I like 219/319 as is, even without a mod, so I guess I'd like anything along those lines, providing that most of 219's charm is in it's capsule.

Now, switching the Rode capsule for Oktava one isn't exactly ingenious, but the thing I was wondering was - how would a 219 react if I put Rode capsule in it so it wouldn't lay there hollow? I guess Oktava's circuit and transformer beef could tame Rode's capsule a bit and make it more usable (NT1 doesn't even use HF-1 like NT1000 and NTK, right?).

Any thoughts or am I that far off and this can't be done?
2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via ICQ to Gretsch 6120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe/Rampart View Post
First of all, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't laugh at my ideas since I'm not exactly a geekslut...

Well, now, since I have somewhat modest project studio, I usually record starving artist that would rather exchange a body part for some studio time than pay for it in cold cash. I've been offered all kinds of equipment in compensation.

Among all this equipment, the one that pops up most often is Rode NT-1(a). I've heard numerous times that it has pretty solid electronics and Jim Williams' implemented Schoeps-like circuit, so the mod that would make most sense (beside grill mod) would be 'simple' capsule change. I wondered what capsule could be appropriate and then I remembered one of my beaten up 219s. I like 219/319 as is, even without a mod, so I guess I'd like anything along those lines, providing that most of 219's charm is in it's capsule.

Now, switching the Rode capsule for Oktava one isn't exactly ingenious, but the thing I was wondering was - how would a 219 react if I put Rode capsule in it so it wouldn't lay there hollow? I guess Oktava's circuit and transformer beef could tame Rode's capsule a bit and make it more usable (NT1 doesn't even use HF-1 like NT1000 and NTK, right?).

Any thoughts or am I that far off and this can't be done?

I wouldn’t touch the Rhode NT-1 because it’s a good mic stocked IMO. The 219 is a great mic too, and your money would be better spent just having someone like Michael Joly or the guys at JJ Audio mod it IMHO. Keep the Rhode MT-1 as is for now. If you really don’t like it for what it is then sell it, and replace it with something more to your liking within the same relative price point.

Chris
2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
Gear nut

Thanks for your swift reply, but I guess you've kinda misunderstood me...

I already have a 219. Actually, I got three of them (two 219s and a 319, to be exact), all of which are stock and I like them the way they are.

I don't have an NT1, nor am I particularly interested in getting one either, it's just that they are being offered to me for next to nothing somewhat regularly and I just wondered if anything could be done to them besides shipping them to Mike or JJ for modding.

Yes, the NT1s are decent stock, but I don't really need them (my locker consists of Se Titan, vintage Sennheiser 441, Shure SM58, three 219s/319s and a Beyerdynamic M88). I was just wondering if there was a way to utilize one of my 219s that's somewhat beaten up and isn't getting used at all (I rarely record anything besides vocals, acc. guitars, guitar cabs and accordeons, so I really don't need a stereo/matched pair).

If anything, I'd like to get somewhat neutral-ish LDC (AT4050, SP CS1, M179...), although 441 fills up that duty rather nice. Just me being a gearslut or OC about gear...
3rd May 2012
Old 3rd May 2012
Gear Guru

I think the capsule swap from 219 to NT1a would help, but an aspect of that mic that holds it back is the constrictive head basket. The Joly changeout on that really helps the mic. You may be able to fab one yourself. Or not. You'd have to figure that out yourself.
6th August 2012
Old 6th August 2012
Gear addict

7th August 2012
Old 7th August 2012
Gear interested

+1 on the used ADK TC, or even a plain old (new) A-51.. hell, get a pair...
7th August 2012
Old 7th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's a very bright, crisp mic with a pronounced presence peak. I like the sound but it's not for people who are allergic to bright-sounding mics. It's even better if you swap the capsule-to-FET capacitor with a film capacitor. Search around on taperssection.com and you'll find the pictures I took of the modification.
7th August 2012
Old 7th August 2012
Lives for gear

I swapped out an MCA SP1 capsule (SDC disguised as LDC) for a Capsule from a 319 and it sounds MUCH better. The guts of both my SP1’s were completely redone with much better parts. They sound fine now clean clear xformerless. For my money, better than more expensive mics that haven’t been gone through to remove trash parts.
7th August 2012
Old 7th August 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
It's a very bright, crisp mic with a pronounced presence peak. I like the sound but it's not for people who are allergic to bright-sounding mics. It's even better if you swap the capsule-to-FET capacitor with a film capacitor. Search around on taperssection.com and you'll find the pictures I took of the modification.
Thanks for sharing that. The presence peak is definitely pronounced. Based on the clipalator samples I'd EQ something like this: 12khz q2.5 -4.5dB.

EDIT:Revised EQ suggestion.
7th August 2012
Old 7th August 2012
Gear Guru

My love affair with one of the cheapest mics available - the Apex 205 ribbon - continues. I just got #3 & 4. The Michael Joly proprietary ribbons he puts in them are phenomenal. Not the cheapest mics available after he gets done with them, but still 1/3 the price of any other decent ribbon. He's doing something different with the new ones. He's employed a little piece of foam over the ribbon driver now....

These boys are becoming a desert island mic for me. I just finished 3 CD's using the 205 on Acoustics. Liked it better than my KM84 for most of it. (Was going for a vintage-y natural, and warm sound) Used the KM84 for the aggressive rhythm parts I wanted to cut, but I probably could have EQ'd the 205 to work, just didn't bother trying as I had the 84 up as well. The 205 (new MJ version) was beyond amazing on a little soprano uke that sounded like a tiny 1040's megaphone in the room, but amazingly like a full bodied wonderful instrument on the other end of the cable. Just amazing. Loving these mics. Today, two are up on drum overheads, and the other pair on drum room. Will see how that goes.
28th September 2012
Old 28th September 2012
Gear interested

I'm looking for some advice, this seems to be a good place.

I just bought the SP B1 and frankly I'm dissapointed the bass and highs are so hyped it's unusable in a mix for vocals, so I'm gonna sell this one and I'm now thinking about a Shure SM58 or a MXL 990.

Which one would you recommend for vocal work?
28th September 2012
Old 28th September 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kssshhh View Post

I just bought the SP B1 and frankly I'm dissapointed the bass and highs are so hyped it's unusable in a mix for vocals, so I'm gonna sell this one and I'm now thinking about a Shure SM58 or a MXL 990.

58 is a workhorse mic. Been used for decades. Solid, but not generally thought of as a studio mic, although there are notable exceptions. Same with the 57. The 990? Yech! Worst mic I've ever had the displeasure of using. Absolutely hated it. I hear than M.Joly does mods for them that totally transforms the mic into a "neumannesque" sound, but I have not had the pleasure of trying one of his. But, if you're talking stock mics well under $100, the 58 all the way, although I'd try a 57 as well.
28th September 2012
Old 28th September 2012
serious amateur

I prefer the 57 over the 58 for vocals. (and I am not alone in this) A little cleaner and flatter to my ears. Works well for many people.
29th September 2012
Old 29th September 2012
Gear Head

Quote:

+1 on checking out M.Jolly he mods the MXL 990. He has a special at the moment on his modded MXL v250 I'm interested in this
mic once I get some spare cash. He has sound file comparisons on site with other well known brands. Well worth a look.
His mods put these low end mics right up there punching beyond there price.
29th September 2012
Old 29th September 2012
Gear interested

Between the 57 and the 58, which one would you say is more upfront (1khz-ish)sounding?
29th September 2012
Old 29th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by omtayslick View Post
I prefer the 57 over the 58 for vocals. (and I am not alone in this) A little cleaner and flatter to my ears. Works well for many people.
Quote:
Between the 57 and the 58, which one would you say is more upfront (1khz-ish)sounding?
Shure has already acknowledged that the 57 and 58 are EXACTLY the same mic, different head baskets only.
So they should sound exactly the same if QC is any good.

I prefer the 58 for lack of a rattling headbasket and durable metal basket over plastic and a C-ring attachment that will get lost.
29th September 2012
Old 29th September 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie View Post
Shure has already acknowledged that the 57 and 58 are EXACTLY the same mic, different head baskets only.
So they should sound exactly the same if QC is any good.

I prefer the 58 for lack of a rattling headbasket and durable metal basket over plastic and a C-ring attachment that will get lost.
Head basket does affect the sound. And most definitely the "pop-ability" of the mics in question.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search