Soundcraft Delta vs Soundcraft Spirit Studio
New Reply
Subscribe
TacosWhenTwisted
27th May 2009
Old 27th May 2009
Gear addict

Soundcraft Delta vs Soundcraft Spirit Studio

What are the main differences between these two? Im looking for a 16-24 channel mixer within this range for electronic music production and some hip hop. How is the summing on these mixers?

How do their EQ and Mic Pres compare? They're both around the same price range right? Also which one is better for modding. Which one is better for working in outboard, with an ITB setup?
11th August 2009
Old 11th August 2009
Gear addict

Good Post I would also like to know how the Delta sounds vs the
spirit Studio. I use my Soundcraft Spirit Studio 24/8/2 and sum 18 channels to it via apogee DAs.
I only use line ins on the desk so maybe the sound of the mic pre,s on the desk dont matter to me.
Just like to add that it sums way better than ITB and the EQ is bright and has great attitude for rock mixes.
12th September 2009
Old 12th September 2009
Gear Head

Send a message via AIM to alphadore
For modding, the Delta is the way to go. Jim Williams does the best mods for this board and the fact that it is fully modular makes it easy to ship/repair/etc. I have never owned a Spirit studio, but i have had a Delta and its a great console even without mods! Hope this helps!

I don't rethink my life.... I rethink my gear!
20th September 2009
Old 20th September 2009
Lives for gear

The Spirit Studio is also modular under the hood:
Attached Thumbnails
Soundcraft Delta vs Soundcraft Spirit Studio-spirit-modularbig.jpg   Soundcraft Delta vs Soundcraft Spirit Studio-spirit-channel1.jpg  
20th September 2009
Old 20th September 2009
Gear addict

Which board would be better for a project studio, Delta 200B or Delta SR?
20th September 2009
Old 20th September 2009
Lives for gear

That's a Jim Williams question.

As far as modded boards go, I work on a delta three times a week, it's a fine board, but, it's not a recording board, it's a live board. It's basically a 200B. Delta 8 would be better, why not just get a Spirit LX7 if you're going that way?
I like the Spirit consoles because they already have the routing options I want, no polarity reverse, inline for recording, has double inputs for mixing if needed, there's even one with automation, for line inputs you'd be hard pressed to find the difference in the sound of the two boards (Delta and Spirit). If powered properly they sound fine and the pre's and eq are very usable. The board won't hold anyone back.

I won't use pitch correcting software. I use "coaching" maybe you've heard of it. It keeps working even when you don't have it on.
15th December 2009
Old 15th December 2009
Gear addict

Reviving this thread..

Im looking at a Soundcraft Studio 16/32 (no idea what this "32" means in the guy's listing on Craigs..anyone?)

Im also assuming that this is a "Sprit Studio"?? The listing reads "Sound craft studio 16/32 mixing board "

The guy doesn't have much info for me..not fishy, just doesn't really know much about the product I think..

Anyhow, he wants $275 and says it running good, clean pots and faders etc..

There is also a Delta 24 around the lists and Im wondering about differences in sound between Delta and Studio/Spirit Studio, modding ? on and on..hard to track all these different models on these boards..

also, I want to jump into trying to some mods myself..seems like it might be a good board to learn on
15th December 2009
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

I wouldn't "bet" on it being a Spirit board.
Take a look at it. Have him send pics, or go there.
A broken piece of junk old 200B isn't going to be much help if it isn't even worth salvaging from water damage.
The pre's sound very different.
The BIGGEST difference:
IF the Spirit is a "recording" version is:
It's an inline board, which means, the monitor path is on the same channel strip as the channel path, in essence, two separate signal paths on each channel, both routable to mix, EQ able, chan/mon flippable (either one or the other can use either the sliding fader or rotary fader) and can access the mic pre, or, line inputs once flipped. Basically doubling your inputs on mix, tape returns and monitor channels, not including all the routing in the master section, inserts on EVERYTHING, direct inputs and outputs on EVERYTHING, none of which the delta will have.
The Delta will only ever have one input per channel and no tape return path. It's a "Live board" not a recording oriented board.
15th December 2009
Old 15th December 2009
Gear addict

Memphis,

So, regarding the name of this 16 channels board...Soundcraft Studio...can I make a leap and safely assume that this board was being marketed towards "studio" use?

Before I contact him again I need more ammo..he really doesn't have a lot to offer as far hard info and the pics are crappy.

The one thing Im wondering about is the designation he's giving me of "16/32"

can't find anyhting like that on the Soundcraft site..
15th December 2009
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

Maybe, it sounds like it may be an older board than the spirit line. Which is fine if it's in good shape, but, the Spirit line didn't have a 16/32 designation, sounds like a monitor console for live use. Spirit did have a monitor board, but, it's also for live use. I'd bug him about the specifics, get he printing off the board, and if he can't get specific, pass on it. There's plenty of them on ebay, well, maybe not plenty, but, they come up frequently.
16th December 2009
Old 16th December 2009
Gear interested

I like the Delta SR

It is very beefy. The channel strips are removable from the top so you do not have to pull the entire board just to service one channel. The Delta 200 or the SR I would get over the Spirit, but I like to upgrade and service my stuff myself and enjoy the older stuff for the build quality and ease of service. If you have to pay for your service, I would look for the newest mixer possible.
16th December 2009
Old 16th December 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah, but, it's not an inline board made for recording.

If you're just using it as a summing box, or an occasional pre, The Delta is a really good sounding board.
16th December 2009
Old 16th December 2009
Geariophile

Probably the 16 channel version, and since it's inline this means in effect 32 ins, counting the tape returns.......hence 16/32...
16th December 2009
Old 16th December 2009
Lives for gear

Right on, Karloff,
Then of course, there are also 8 more if it's the 8bus, (there's an input on each bus) which will bring you to 40 inputs, 24 of which will be line level, the other 16 will be mic or line. If you aren't using efx returns, there's 4 more stereo line inputs taking it to 44. Mix inserts, subgroup inserts, the routing on these things is unbeatable in a board anywhere near the price.
THAT is the beauty of the Spirit recording board.

I have a modded 24 channels version and I will sometimes use all 56 inputs.
16th December 2009
Old 16th December 2009
Lives for gear

I have a 24 X 8 Channel Spirit Studio available for sale. Made lots of records on it. It rocks. Has been in mothballs for about a year. Didn't know if I'd sell it or not, but if someone's looking...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search