New Reply
Subscribe
JOHN
5th August 2005
Old 5th August 2005
Gear addict

Behringer Eurodesk MX9000

Hi Everyone,
What do you all think of the Behringer Eurodesk MX9000 mixing desk?
I was thinking of getting one. Has anyone used this desk? what is the EQ like,
Does the desk sound good or bad at mixdown, any comments would be helpfull

Thanks

JOHN
5th August 2005
Old 5th August 2005
Gear maniac

Er ... dude.....may I suggest you sit back and await the barrage of angst and disgust pople have of said console and manufacturer.

dfegad Behringer
5th August 2005
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN
I was thinking of getting one.
Don't do it. Save your money for a real console. That's all I will say. Now wait for everyone to chime in.

It's definately not "high end". OK I'm done now.
5th August 2005
Old 5th August 2005
Gear maniac

Don't do it ... simple as that ... unless you simply CANNOT wait for something better, or CANNOT afford to spend a bit more, or CANNOT tolerate the thought of using something that "looks less professional".

Very important to consider when looking at the MX9000 is that it is basically their new version of the original MX8000 and when that was released, it was to compete with a handful of alternate 8-Bus consoles.

The main competition was the Soundcraft Spirit 8 Bus, the Soundtracs Topaz 8 Bus and the Mackie 8 Bus ALL OF WHICH sounded MUCH better and proved MUCH more durable (yes, I know that every company has it's fair share of typical problems, but let's face it .... Behringer has a terrible reputation for faults).

I personally own a Soundtracs Topaz 8 Bus and have used all of the above mentioned 8 Bus alternatives including the original MX8000 at friend's studios.

Bottom line is that Behringer, in my opinion, came into the market and have remained there by adopting the following principal ... "let's first of all make our gear LOOK like the big league as such ..... then let's make sure it is MUCH more affordable .... then let's make sure it works adequately enough to keep a kazillion people out there arguing that there is nothing wrong with it and that it does the job".

Sweet ... no problem ... everyone to their own ... but what I am suggesting is :

1. Spend the same amount of money on something else.
2. Spend a bit more on something MUCH BETTER.
3. Spend less on something MUCH BETTER.
4. Spend less on something perfectly adequate for your needs.

Cheapest option out there (used) is the Soundcraft Spirit Studio, which ONLY lacks the meterbridge really, probably followed by the Topaz and then the Mackie (based on what I think are typical used prices ... I may be wrong).

Ciao
5th August 2005
Old 5th August 2005
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to George Necola
when behringer came into the market, their gear was highpriced (remember the old black behringer stuff with the red colored letters). They were API ripp offs around 2000$. you find them usually on ebay, and they are good!

btw., I think Behringer has the right to exist, so every 12 year can make/mix/scratch music.

What I don't like, is their propaganda on their products. When you look at their highstyled marketingprospects you think (if you have no idea about gear) you buy a fukin great f.e. console.

The biggest problem are the pres (about 5$ each in production.. whitenoise generator ) and the EQ-section. No EQ is better than Behringer EQ.

I personally owned an Behringer MX8000 for livestuff and it's fukin terrible. I had to clean it once, and it took me 8hours to remove all the stuff and get into the board. boaaaa.. argggh..

my advice:
safe the money for a mackie, A&H, something like this.
---------------------------------------------
www.georgenecola.com produce & mix itm/gear & fun

blog.georgenecola.com reviews & gear
5th August 2005
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

IMHO every comparable console out there will do a (much) better job...
13th September 2005
Old 13th September 2005
Gear interested

They are cheap.

Don't push the levels as it ain't no Midas and any, I MEAN ANY!, sign of red and you're in distortion country. The EQs are weird and take some playing to get them doing anything useful. They must be treated with the utmost care, as the build quality is definitely more in the disposable vein. I.e. if you move it around........ big road case with lots of padding. If it is in the studio, make sure none of the Sun's rays get to it, as it is not very good with the UV.
If you don't know how to gen, meter and calibrate, now would be a good time to learn as with so much Behringer gear.......zero ain't necessarily zero.

I have got good results with one after getting very familiar with it and learning all its weaknesses.

Baron
jordan19
13th September 2005
Old 13th September 2005
jordan19

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN
I was thinking of getting one.
Don't do it my friend. In my early days I subjected myself to the cruel and unusual punishment of working with one of their "consoles."

To this day I have refused to ebay it away or sell it to anyone, or even GIVE it away. I wouldn't wish that kind of torture on anyone.

Keep saving up your $$$ so you can get something that will help your recordings, not hurt them. Anything is a step up from Behringer.

Check into Soundcraft, Allen & Heath, and Mackie.

For anyone else on this thread, what do you guys know about Carvin mixers??? I have no interest in them personally, but a friend of mine had been asking me about them and it ocurred to me that I really don't know anything about them at all.
13th September 2005
Old 13th September 2005
Lives for gear

Be patient for a while and get the new Malcom Toft console !!! that wil be a killer winner desk !!! but please save yourself and don't get the behringer, youl regret it and it will be a pain in the *** to sell it again. good luck
14th September 2005
Old 14th September 2005
Gear addict

hijack...sorry

whats up with that toft console? Ihave checks pmi's site and cant really find anything....
jordan19
14th September 2005
Old 14th September 2005
jordan19

Question

whatsup with malcom period. his site never gets updated

i was hearing all this buzz about the A range EQ being released, and how things were rolling along on schedule and stuff... i was really looking forward to buying it (when I had the money to get it. now i'm just plain broke )

haven't heard a thing about it in months. maybe it's my fault for not remembering their projected release date, but i thought it was supposed to be this Fall.

Alan Hyatt from PMI is a Gearslut, right?? Mr. Hyatt if you're reading this post, do you know how long it'll be till the new Toft EQ is released??
14th September 2005
Old 14th September 2005
Lives for gear

New Toft Console post here you go :-) Btw. there's a lovely pic Jules took of the design while Malcom holding it.
14th September 2005
Old 14th September 2005
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=jordan19]whatsup with malcom period. his site never gets updated

Alan Hyatt from PMI is a Gearslut, right??

Did you check the forum?

And the first post

stick around and maybe where lucky to have one of the first 20
jordan19
14th September 2005
Old 14th September 2005
jordan19

[QUOTE=ProFool]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan19
whatsup with malcom period. his site never gets updated

Alan Hyatt from PMI is a Gearslut, right??

Did you check the forum?

And the first post

stick around and maybe where lucky to have one of the first 20

oh. *scratches head* didn't even know there was a forum on that site. haven't been there in awhile i guess.

just saw Warhead on there man there's gearslutz everywhere
14th September 2005
Old 14th September 2005
Gear addict

thanks pro fool. man that looks good, and at that price point! I was considering a ghost, or digital board but that looks pretty good. cant wait for AES.
14th September 2005
Old 14th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfish
thanks pro fool. man that looks good, and at that price point! I was considering a ghost, or digital board but that looks pretty good. cant wait for AES.
Yeah I know its awsome and the eq's are already a winner. Like aid on the pmi forum, I hope to they sound as awsome as they should sound thumbsup
Alan If your on the board reading this, is there any possibillity that de desk's will be engraved with a Malcom Toft authograph? would be nice
anyway good luck with the prototype's, and I hope my loan gets aproved before the end of the year so I can get my hands on one of these this year. Otherwise it wil be in Januari since my other loan is payed of by that time

grtz
14th March 2010
Old 14th March 2010
Gear addict

I was just about to bid on a MX8000 because its dirt cheap on ebay, i guess i now know why.

Thanks guys ill keep hunting!
15th April 2010
Old 15th April 2010
Gear Head

Since this topic has been revived I would like to voice my polite but firm interjection on the MX9000. I'm not sure how many of the detractors here have actually used this board for any significant amount of time. I can tell you that I have absolutely no time logged with the MX 8000 - which is mentioned above as being a very poor console. But I have used the MX9000 extensively and for someone looking for a starter console it is exemplary. Here's why I think so:
Anyone who has read the manual can tell you that this board is very well endowed - inserts galore, 90% balanced, 6 aux sends/channel and full returns, solo and PFL capability on nearly everything, talkback, simultaneous -10 and +4 tape return capability, tape/channel metering toggle, full meter bridge - (I do, however, agree that zero isn't always zero as mentioned by Baron), decent routing functionality, full mix b bus (flippable to the main channels), and the list goes on. And because there are a bunch of postings similar to this one which outline behringers poor track record, one of the biggest advantages of this board is price! I bought mine for a song and it was hardly used!

The manual isn't bad, either. And with that, I humbly suggest that the Behringer MX9000 might just be the most affordable way to "get your head around" the tools and tricks that the big-boy consoles have.

Plus if you're a half-way decent engineer you can get a nice sounding mix out of the thing.
15th April 2010
Old 15th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineyardgray View Post
The manual isn't bad, either. And with that, I humbly suggest that the Behringer MX9000 might just be the most affordable way to "get your head around" the tools and tricks that the big-boy consoles have.
I agree on that point. Behringer stuff is cheap but feature packed and you get a sense for the stuff that is useful and what is not. FOr instance, most little Behringer mixers have Subgroups which is really something great on any mixer. Smaller Mackies, Soundcrafts or Allen&Heaths don't have Subgroups at all or have fake ones (like Mackie... everything you mute goes in the sub group... seriously?).

If you need the features but you're broke (aka you're the average teenager trying to learn), then Behringer is great. I also makes you aware of distortion in every step of the signal so you learn to gain stage well.

Lots of audio gear is ridiculously expensive considering what it does because it's not a mainstream market. It's a good challenge to work with sub-par gear but still get good results.
15th April 2010
Old 15th April 2010
Gear Head

I have used and am still using the MX9000 in a 400 seat lecture theatre and sice purchase had on one fault (involving hot coffee a clent kindly dropped in it). mainly used with 18 mics for speech and hundreds of good comments, so not all Behringer gear is as bad as the non users makie out
15th April 2010
Old 15th April 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
They are cheap.

Don't push the levels as it ain't no Midas and any, I MEAN ANY!, sign of
Baron

Well, actually they are effectively one in the same, since Behringer bought Midas. Only time will tell if the outstanding quality on Midas will rub off on the low-end Behringer product line.

BEHRINGER: Midas and Klark Teknik Join the Music Group

We'll just have to wait and see
17th April 2010
Old 17th April 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simman View Post
Well, actually they are effectively one in the same, since Behringer bought Midas.
[Shirley Bassey] [to the tune of 'Goldfinger' theme]

Its the kiss of death... from Mr Behr....Ingerrrrr!

[/Shirley Bassey]
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

I have a Eurodesk MX9000 mixer that has went silent, had couple pops through the monitors, now the -17v led is off and +17v is on, the Solo Section main solo light is on and all 24channel Pan peak and -20 light are lit up as well. All or any help would be greatly appreciated.
29th May 2013
Old 29th May 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTC67 View Post
I have a Eurodesk MX9000 mixer that has went silent, had couple pops through the monitors, now the -17v led is off and +17v is on, the Solo Section main solo light is on and all 24channel Pan peak and -20 light are lit up as well. All or any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'd be willing to bet these are issues related to the voltage regulators in the power supply. There are 5 per supply and 2-3 of them usually go bad at once. Open the supply unit and replace all 5 with the modern equivalent replacements and the thing will run another 5 years...
29th May 2013
Old 29th May 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineyardgray View Post
Since this topic has been revived I would like to voice my polite but firm interjection on the MX9000. I'm not sure how many of the detractors here have actually used this board for any significant amount of time. I can tell you that I have absolutely no time logged with the MX 8000 - which is mentioned above as being a very poor console. But I have used the MX9000 extensively and for someone looking for a starter console it is exemplary. Here's why I think so:
Anyone who has read the manual can tell you that this board is very well endowed - inserts galore, 90% balanced, 6 aux sends/channel and full returns, solo and PFL capability on nearly everything, talkback, simultaneous -10 and +4 tape return capability, tape/channel metering toggle, full meter bridge - (I do, however, agree that zero isn't always zero as mentioned by Baron), decent routing functionality, full mix b bus (flippable to the main channels), and the list goes on. And because there are a bunch of postings similar to this one which outline behringers poor track record, one of the biggest advantages of this board is price! I bought mine for a song and it was hardly used!

Plus if you're a half-way decent engineer you can get a nice sounding mix out of the thing.
This is real talk. I've had a pair of these for 15 years to learn my craft and learned I have, I have since upgraded to all MidasF32's and F16R's to rewire my whole signal chain. As a beginner, with no other options, it is a decent piece of kit, but will not get you into even the bottom of high end of sound.

I would add that as an engineer it will make you work a little harder, cuz you have to really follow best practice to get decent results.Still, it can yeild a decent sound if not pushed too hard, and with some decent front end and signal proccessing, it really can yeild some pretty good mixes.

As it happens, and since I've seen this thread, I have one of these up for grabs, if anyone is interested, it will go to the next unresasonable offer, PM me for info. Being a generous sort, I dont mind putting back a little to help someone else get into the game. Beginners welcome, but only beginners need respond. I dont want mine going to someone who wont spend proper time or study on it. For an experienced engineer would quickly outgrow this,
and favor other designs.
Getting one of these as cheap as I'm letting mine go for is a great oppurtunity to get your feet wet until you can afford some better gear, and as has been said, there are plenty of better more expensive alternatives.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search