Help me choose a system...
New Reply
Subscribe
theledgeofaustin
28th April 2009
Old 28th April 2009
Gear interested

Smile Help me choose a system...

Hey guys, first post here and I must say I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts, ideas and opinions.

Here's the deal, I currently use a Mbox2 Pro with a macbook pro 2.2ghz and 4gigs of ram using pt LE 7.4 on tiger ( i know I probably should upgrade to leopard ).

Basically, I've searched a bunch of threads and have found a few options on my own but I wanted to personally see what everyone thought of my situation. I have a band and I want to start recording multitrack demos (kind of like metallica did for death magnetic) where we can track our new songs and listen back and fix and rearrage outside of the rehearsal room and when we are ready to record we are prepared with an arrangement we can live with. Should I just stick with the mbox 2 pro and get a 2 channel preamp along with another 2 channel digital preamp with spdif out? Or would I benefit from getting either a used 002r or 003 or even the 003+?
I am quite aware of everyone's thoughts on the converters and the pre amps on these units but remember that I am only wanting to record demos. Eventually I would want to start moving to bigger projects but I have access to a studio with PTHD, Apogee Converters, a very nice API console, a great mic closet, and tons of outboard gear, but that's not something I am ready to dive into at this moment.

I don't really want to stretch from PTLE and I don't plan on selling the mbox 2 pro because I can keep that at home to do any work from there.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

e
28th April 2009
Old 28th April 2009
Gear maniac

002r is good enough....then get a couple ultragain pros (they are -10dBV output, but 002 analog in 5-8 are swithch-able between +4/-10dBV) all can be had for 800 dollars tops in "like-new" condition....if you want 8 more i/o then add an alesis adat ai3 ( optical ).....just a thought...
28th April 2009
Old 28th April 2009
Gear maniac

The 003 is nice. I own one. If you've got some extra preamps (or extra money for some), then it's a great choice. Otherwise, for roughly the same amount of money you'd spend on a 003 rack, you could get an M-Audio ProFire 2626 and Pro Tools M-Powered. 8 preamps right out of the box and still expandable.

That would be something I'd consider.
29th April 2009
Old 29th April 2009
Gear interested

Hello,

In my case I find multi tracking practice gets in the way of being creative. I don't want to do a "soundcheck" before practice and spend the time needed wiring and listening to make things right.

I picked up a zoom H2 and just hit record when we start. Never have to worry about it crashing and I get 12 hours on an 8 gig card. I import the wav into protools and mix and mash the parts to see if anything works.

It's not sexy but being a gearslut it keeps me focused on the music, not the sound of my guitar into the mic.

my 2 cents.

Tom
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search