Old 20th July 2005
Gear addict

Motu 896

Hello people, I own a motu 828 mkII and wanted to expand via the firewire daisychaining capabilities, so ive found a couple of 896's. Now i understand there is a firewire model and the HD model (also firewire), or a new version and an older version of the 896, i just wanna know if the old and new models are still compatible with each other and the 828 mkII? And whats the difference between them anyway??

Cheers
Old 20th July 2005

Yes, they all can be mixed (actually depends on your host software/OS). The HD adds 192kHz support.
Old 20th July 2005
Gear addict

im running apple OSX. so the only difference is that the HD has a much higher sampling rate? my 828 mkII only supports 96k anyway.
Old 20th July 2005

OSX Tiger can combine any number of inputs into one virtual soundcard. Otherwise, if you use Digital Performer, you can use all interfaces at once anyway (also on older OSX versions).

I think (not 100% sure) that the HD also adds the monitor mixer like on the 828mkII. On the older version it's more limited (like on original 828) i believe.
Old 20th July 2005
Gear addict

so i should be ok? cue mixes aren't too important, can aux them via desk to phones.
Old 20th July 2005

Should be ok yes, tho I expect the HD to sound better then the normal one, even at lower sample frequencies. Not that an older 896 wouldn't be usable of course.
Old 20th July 2005

The 896 (HD) has an ADAT I/O (8 channels) and an AES/EBU I/O (2 channels). On a Motu 2408mkIII, you have 3 ADAT I/O (or TDIF I/O, but few convertors use that format). Also has an spdif I/O.
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Guru

Nope, It's just passing bits.

But, the HD will let you send a digital input to the Que mix for near-zero latency monitoring....

-tINY

Old 24th July 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiff
Could you perhaps explain to me how I would get to plug in say a Lavry into a motu mkiii setup without it being processed at all by the motu converters ?
Sorry for the late answer, i've been away for a few days.

Just connect the Lavry to the spdif I/O of the Motu 2408mkIII, leave the Lavry as master clock.

When connecting anything digitally to the Motu, the Motu just serves as a pass-thru interface unit for the digital data from/to computer.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search