Tube amp speaker out to Line out (WITHOUT the speaker!) ?
francis
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Head

Tube amp speaker out to Line out (WITHOUT the speaker!) ?

how can this be done?

i know how to add an output line jack to the amp itself (this has been covered here - thanks )
but everyone of those still have the speaker in place.

would something like this work (instead of the - + of the speaker):
Parts Express:*8 Ohm 100W Non-Inductive Dummy Load Resistor

i want to rack an old tube amp, and be able to play through it without hearing it in the room.
probably adding speaker impulses afterwards, using Speakerphone.
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Gear addict

I would say this should work fine. As long as there is a dummy load of the correct ohm's/ wattage , you should be ok with a line out.

I know it's more expensive but ever thought about a THD hot plate? Useful as a "dummy load" and for getting great tone at lower volume. Also has a line out and two speaker outs.

Sorry to recommend something much more expencive than your proposed solution, but I love mine a thought it was worth checking out at least
francis
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Head

thanks for the THD idea - i've thought about it - but as you said, it's more expensive, and it's really against my idea right now

perhaps later on, i'll add a speaker to the tube amp i'm working to get now.
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Gear addict

Check out Weber's MASS systems. They're essentially a power soak made using a real speaker motor so it loads your amp like a speaker will. The resistor is a great idea for doing signal testing because the resistor behaves the same based on the power you throw at it (within the resistor's power rating) whereas a speaker isnt linear like that. Plus they have a unbalanced line out by default but can have a balanced line out installed for you as well.

They can be had for around $100-$200
Attenuators
11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Gear maniac

Good suggestion on the Weber units. They are very "musical" attenuators. I've tried them and they really do work well. Ordering one with the balanced line out and will try to drive a cabinet simulator/impulse and see how it all goes. Cheaper and less boxy sounding than the isos I can afford, so that's a bonus too.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search