Anyone used MXL 770 or MXL v67g mics?
bkspitfire
1st July 2005
Old 1st July 2005
Gear maniac

Anyone used MXL 770 or MXL v67g mics?

Hey, this is my first post, hope i'm in the right area, has anyone used these mics? Either of them perform ok? Any tips would be great, i'm thinking about buying one of them.

Thanks
1st July 2005
Old 1st July 2005

All things are relative......
However, I don't think many here are going to regard MXL as high-end.

In addition, you may want to put down some reasoning as to why you are interested in these mics and what the uses will be.

I have not heard the mics you speak of.
I have heard a 990 and some green 87 looking MXL knock-off I forget the model.
I was not impressed by either.
They seemed to work well enough but, lacked and mojo or whatever it is that makes my ears pick up.

I have yet to find any LD condenser in the sub $500 dollar range that comes anywhere near an AT 4050. Sorry to be off topic.

Lastly, while audio gear is a hoorible investment...a 4050 will do you much better if you have to resell it. The MXL will not! buying quality tools as you can afford them is always cheaper in the long run. I chased the $200 U87 knock-off thing for years spending much more than the $1200 that got me a real one. And now I know why people are chasing this....... I should have saved that money and bought what I wanted in the first place. Let me take the hit on this one.

What do you want?
Buy that.

Good luck.

D
bkspitfire
1st July 2005
Old 1st July 2005
Gear maniac

Thanks for the response. I would be getting one of these mics actually free with another purchase, so i was wondering which one would be better e. I'll think about the buying nicer now idea, sounds interesting!

Thanks again.

thumbsup
2nd July 2005
Old 2nd July 2005

Free is free.

Take whichever one has the higher list price.

Put it on the Ebay and consider it a discount on the original piece bought.

I would ask your buddies and maybe someone is willing to trade you for something you want or may be useful to your situation.

D
2nd July 2005
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Keep the V67, it's actually useful on some voices.
2nd July 2005
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear nut

I've had success with a v67g on one vocalist. If I ever tracked him again, I'd probably use it again. Whatever that's worth.

Jake
2nd July 2005
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

agreed.. at4050s are unbeatable under $500 ( $1000 in Brazil).
9th July 2005
Old 9th July 2005
Lives for gear

i have several mxl mics, but not the 770. i do own a v67 which does well on lower toned male vocals for me, but that's about it. i also own a couple of 990s which, from my understanding, the 770 is an updated 990. i havn't used the 990s on any thing except for room mics on a drums in a very odd application that involved cheap overdrive pedals. that's all i'll say about that.
12th July 2005
Old 12th July 2005
Gear nut

the v67 is not a bad mic. have had some good luck w/ it on toms and vocalists that sounded too thin + sibilant on my 4050... thus, it's not something you'd pick where you really need tons of hi-end clarity, but it's pretty devoid of that horrible hi-end shrillness in a lot of cheap LDC's.

FWIW, it takes compression well. but tracks recorded w/ the 4050 seem like they're made out of elastic; they take compression, eq, whatever SO much better than anything recorded w/ w a crummy mic.

if you're getting it free, I think it's worth keeping. at the very least, it's free and would make a good-lookin' talkback mic. or throw it in front of a kick or on some toms; i've had decent luck w/ it w/ percussion.
26th February 2009
Old 26th February 2009
Gear Head

also put it in front of a guitar amp and be amazed. it gets everything in good ways. one time i did little or no eq to a lead gtr mic'ed with a v67. it was pretty much perfect. sounded exactly like the amp.
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
Gear addict

I have both. The V67g is my go-to mic... on nearly everything. Lead vocals, acoustic guitars, etc. I like the 770 a lot on spoken-word stuff or tutorials (for YouTube etc)... I really dig both of those mics and glad I have them both.

Best of luck!
16th April 2013
Old 16th April 2013
Gear Head

I have a 770. its my backup to my MJE as of now. I used it as my main VOX mic for hip-hop for the last 2 years. It did the job, and frankly, alot of my stuff sounded a whole lot better than some of my other friends using boutique mics like TLM-103s etc. Frankly, I think the difference is because I spend so much more time on sites like these and trying to improve myself on the front end in a mix. If you know what you are doing, you can get AMAZING recordings out of a SM-57/58. Its the engineer, not the mic. Sometimes a 70 dollar mic in the right context is the best mic. These are just tools. They all do the same thing, the difference between a 770/v67g and a Brauner VM1 is a whole lot closer than $5,800 dollar price difference. And with the right plugs and more importantly engineering knowledge, the vast majority of people will never know the difference.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search