DIY "Y" Cables
New Reply
Subscribe
tarabok
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Gear maniac

DIY "Y" Cables

Im trying to make my own trs to ts Y cables but cant find much info on the net. im looking at canare cable, should i use microphone cable? is this even possible?
i need 6 trs to 12 ts for my inserts and dont have much of a budget, would rather make my own than buy a hosa 4 to 8 snake for 30 bucks, the only thing in my range, and i would need 2...i only need about 4 feet total
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

on most consoles:
T - Send
R - Return
S - common shield

however some are backwards so check your console manual.

for wiring to most balanced gear use the hot pin for signal and cold pin for earth, the earth pin on the outboard should be used for a shield but doesnt need to be connected to the console.

you can wire it to anything you want, i use mainly use TRS to XLR. TS and TRS can come out to easily and XLRs are cheaper and easier to work with. then again if all you are going to buy are jacks then all TRS may be cheaper. Mic cable is fine but whatever cable you use you will have to make sure it is thin enough to get 2 lines in/out of a single connector. i have a roll of cheap figure 8, i can fit 2 pairs into any connector or use a single pair for inserts. its still audio grade cable and while i would use it for mic signals its fine for line level stuff.
tarabok
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Gear maniac

thanks for the help!

I think my main question is...how can i split a trs line into 2 ts lines and then what do i wrap the two ts cables with
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

either use a figure 8 cable or use to separate lines. if you want the neatest wiring and to use the least amount of cable then use a single 2core cable to the first TS/TRS/XLR and wire the split inside that connector. although wiring that is a bit harder.

if you need to cover your connectors then just use heat shrink, the primary reason i find to do so is labeling your cables but it does protect a connector as well especially if you have to remove a boot to get the pair of cables through.
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Or just let Redco take care of it for you.
tarabok
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Gear maniac

so if i had the trs end of my cable wired already, could i split the ground at the other end on use the hot lead and ground for my send TS and the cold lead and ground for the return TS and then wrap in heat shrink?
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Ryan View Post
Or just let Redco take care of it for you.
all well and good if you live near them and you don't have to worry about turn around time. but not an option if you live in another country or you need the cable straight away.

once you learn how to make your own cabling you will realise how valuable that skill is, even when your situation where your buying pre made cables.

every pre pre fab cable ive seen plays it safe so that the cables can be used in any application, if you want the best performance for a particular application you either have to make them your self or at least know what to ask for in a pre fab.
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarabok View Post
so if i had the trs end of my cable wired already, could i split the ground at the other end on use the hot lead and ground for my send TS and the cold lead and ground for the return TS and then wrap in heat shrink?
absolutely. however you may find it hard to fit the extra join in a TS plug, so keep that in mind when buying TS plugs. you will also have to heat shrink the join so it doesn't touch the shell of the plug.
tarabok
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie View Post
absolutely. however you may find it hard to fit the extra join in a TS plug, so keep that in mind when buying TS plugs. you will also have to heat shrink the join so it doesn't touch the shell of the plug.
wouldnt the wire be the same amount in the ts as it would normally be, if not less since im splitting the braid?

whats the best way to heatshrink?

thanks!
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

its the fact of having to join it to a second cable so you have to have both cables in the connector as well as room to join them. most connectors are only made to hold a single 6-7mm cable.
you are probably better off to twist the two grounds together before tinning them rather than splitting the braid.

as long as you know how the wiring works then i think the best think is just to try for your self.

just slide the headshrink over the connector and use a heat gun or even a hair dryer.
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

That's a cool trick, but I wonder about having no ground on the second jack.

Better a crust in peace than a banquet in a house of contention

"Be careful chasing Unicorns..." -tINY
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
The inserted piece of equipment is unbalanced (as is the source) so the grounds of the ins and outs are already connected in the box.

Not having a shield could allow noise in, but really, were talking about inches here.
4th January 2009
Old 4th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
if you wire to balanced jacks/XLRs then there is no need to connect shields directly.
4th January 2009
Old 4th January 2009
Lives for gear

Gotcha. I've got more experience wiring machinery, so lack of a ground is always a red flag. Thanks.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search