A/D Alternative to Mbox1...
numberforty1
22nd December 2008
Old 22nd December 2008
Gear maniac

A/D Alternative to Mbox1...

Hi-

I am getting the RNP to use with the Mbox1 because I want a nicer preamp. Then (of course) I heard that the a/d converters in the Mbox aren't so great either. So then I heard about this spdif thing. A few questions:

Does using spdif completely bypass the Mbox a/d, effectively rendering the Mbox merely a Protools iLok of sorts?

Are there any other poor qualities of the Mbox I should bypass?

What would be a better a/d converter that I can use between the RNP and Mbox that would be compatible with both?

Will the TLM103->RNP->(a/d converter)->spdif Mox->PT LE be a good chain? Any other adapters/converters/mini magic elves that I'll need in there?

Thank you!
22nd December 2008
Old 22nd December 2008
Lives for gear

A used Lucid AD9624 would be perfect.

I believe signals patch to the MBox's line in inputs still run through the MBox preamps. If so, adjust your gain staging accordingly.
numberforty1
22nd December 2008
Old 22nd December 2008
Gear maniac

Thanks, though like I said, I would be using the spdif inputs, not the line inputs...
22nd December 2008
Old 22nd December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberforty1 View Post
Thanks, though like I said, I would be using the spdif inputs, not the line inputs...

That's right. Dunno what I was thinking .
22nd December 2008
Old 22nd December 2008
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

numberforty1
22nd December 2008
Old 22nd December 2008
Gear maniac

The link didn't take me anywhere...

So does anyone know if the spdif bypasses both the preamps and converters on the Mbox? And I've heard it also bypasses the mix knob, so whats the best way to monitor?
22nd December 2008
Old 22nd December 2008
Gear maniac

I have an SSL Xlogic Alpha Channel and it has a SPDIF output and can act as a masterclock. It is a pretty nice channel strip...it can be as clean or dirty as you like...I bought mine for pretty cheap (about a grand) and, while I don't use the SPDIF, I have read some user reviews from those who do and they are positive.

MySpace.com - Mortal Engines - PORTLAND, Oregon - www.myspace.com/mortal_engines
numberforty1
23rd December 2008
Old 23rd December 2008
Gear maniac

Thanks.

So, I'm getting the impression that most converters come in channel strips. This makes my RNP seemingly useless, which kind of annoys me because people rave about it.

So, should I give up the really nice preamp, and go for some other channel strip preamp that may not be quite so hot but has better a/d converters than the Mbox1, and so will still sound better than the RNP going into the Mbox1?

I really wish there was simple and high quality a/d converter unit with no frills for like $200-$300....maybe FMR should make the RNA/D....
23rd December 2008
Old 23rd December 2008
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
RME ADI-2, been down this long road before.
numberforty1
23rd December 2008
Old 23rd December 2008
Gear maniac

Thanks again...I also see Lucid has an ADC for even cheaper...now if I can just figure out how to monitor through the spdif without latency issues...
23rd December 2008
Old 23rd December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberforty1 View Post

I really wish there was simple and high quality a/d converter unit with no frills for like $200-$300....maybe FMR should make the RNA/D....

Denecke AD 20
Graham Patten Sound Pals A/D

Both are under $200, on Ebay but are only 20 bit. You could also take a look at
the M-audio Flying Cow.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search