Echo AF - TC Konnekt - MOTU Ultralite
New Reply
Subscribe
scolfaro
14th December 2008
Old 14th December 2008
Gear interested

Echo AF - TC Konnekt - MOTU Ultralite

Hello, i noticed some similar threads already, however, here's the deal...

Has anybody here been faced with a similar set to choose from? If yes, which motivation did you guys have to select the one you did, and how was the overall satisfaction after?

Any comments about the 3 or either of them (i'm not so concerned with I/O, this thread is about the interfaces guts which tend to be the same in both the echo and tc families...)?

And, to sum it up, for a live rig (with a macbook), which one is the most reliable/good sounding?

rgds
15th December 2008
Old 15th December 2008
Gear interested

I was deciding between the konnekt and audiofire myself a few weeks ago.

I ended up with an audiofire 4, and while I haven't had a lot of time to really get to know it yet, it seems pretty solid. I can't really compare the interfaces though since I've never used a konnekt.

Here's a clip of some heavy guitars I did with the Audiofire -

netmusicians.org - the guitar gear mp3 database

(let me know what you think )
15th December 2008
Old 15th December 2008
Gear nut

got a AF4 + macbook
I use it with ableton live for gigs
never had any kind of problem
when I was looking for an audio for live playing, I was looking for a stable, small and solid hardware.
There are several threads here on these as you know.
Oh, and the sound is killer....it has destroyed my digi002 converters/preamps. Was an huge improvement for me.
I have read some bad reviews about the motu and the TC electronic, but no one about the AF4. except maybe for the latency witch used to be a problem when using VST instruments (that's what I have read, never experienced this myself since this problem seems to have been resolved with last updated drivers)
....and drivers are stable as rock!!

my 2cents
scolfaro
15th December 2008
Old 15th December 2008
Gear interested

Hello nastyn8, I didn't get to hear it through the monitors, but it sounds thick and balanced even through the laptop speakers...

like gut twisting thick

thanks for the reply... how about i/o now, i read somewhere that it only has 2 simultaneous analog outs, is it so?

monstr, thanks a lot for the input, like what i replied to n8, what about i/o? how many different signals can you handle with it (for p/a routing and live mixing of others and stuff...)? (by the way, i always thought the 002 sounded ugly, somewhat harsh...)

good reputation for the echo stuff huh?

i would like to here somebody from the tc side, im a little off motu's right now after my session last night with dropouts and resets of the interface...
16th December 2008
Old 16th December 2008
Lives for gear

AF4 has four in, four out analog.

/Peter
16th December 2008
Old 16th December 2008
Gear nut

Here's my experience. I switched from Phonic Helix Board firewire mk II to Echo AF 12, after reading praising reviews and posts on this forum on the latter. Improvement in audio quality, particularly D/A, was much more than I expected. Sound is much tighter, articulated and more enjoyable in general.

I don't use mic's btw - I just record an SP 1200 and some hardware synths direct or through a compressor to my macbook running Logic 8.

I've been very satisfied with the AF 12 for my purposes. It has a software "console" that works very well and provides zero latency monitoring. And it's very stable, I don't remember ever having technical issues with it.

I haven't heard the Ultralite but I have the impression that the general opinion in the forums are that the AF 8 and 12 (which have the same converters) sound better than the Motu.

I also considered the Konnekt but TC stuff is infamous for being very unstable especially with Mac's.

Hope this helps.
17th December 2008
Old 17th December 2008
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via AIM to Janesaid2me
Im a very satisfied AF12 user....wouldnt recommend anything else in that price range.
17th December 2008
Old 17th December 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolfaro View Post

monstr, thanks a lot for the input, like what i replied to n8, what about i/o? how many different signals can you handle with it (for p/a routing and live mixing of others and stuff...)?
here's the AF (4 to 12) manual with screenshots of the routing software
http://www.echoaudio.com/Downloads/M...ual%20v2.0.pdf

Quote:
(by the way, i always thought the 002 sounded ugly, somewhat harsh...)...
I stopped using the 002s preamps the day I did compare them to AF's!!
scolfaro
21st December 2008
Old 21st December 2008
Gear interested

hello all, thanks a lot for the input...

took a while to reply cause i was out of town...

Peter, i read somewhere that though it has 4 i/o's it has only 2 converters... is that so (though looking at the link monstr posted -thanks- makes it sound like bs)?

out-of-bed, it did help a lot... the only problem is that a friend of a friend here said that he liked the sound of tc better, but still none of them showed up and the only impression i get from it is that its too unstable for live performance (specially on macs

so i guess i'll wait for some tc and ultralite users (satisfied or not) to show up as well...

as for the echo people, are you guys paid for to say that (amazing number of positive reviews...)?

thanks again...
21st December 2008
Old 21st December 2008
Lives for gear

Not paid at all. We just like the gear.

I researched it to death (lower end converters) and nothing touched the specs of the AF4. Having 113/114db (in/out) dynamic range is killer for that little box.

Most nearly any other unit will be closer to 110 or below.

If you search my older posts, you can see a link to a blind A/B where an AF8 was confused with an Apogee Rosetta by many and preferred over the apogee by a few.

not bad...
21st December 2008
Old 21st December 2008
Lives for gear

4 analog I/O + 2 digital I/O just as the manual says.

They are very very good, it's as simple as that.

/Peter
22nd December 2008
Old 22nd December 2008
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via AIM to Janesaid2me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt View Post

If you search my older posts, you can see a link to a blind A/B where an AF8 was confused with an Apogee Rosetta by many and preferred over the apogee by a few.

not bad...

That was one of the main reason i purchased the AF12....if people think it sounded as good as a rosetta or better then you cannot complain....especially for the price. All the AF units are excellent!
23rd December 2008
Old 23rd December 2008
Lives for gear

Yep. They are really good. After I heard them, I decided not to obsess about conversion anymore. Then I saw that thread where they held up (and mostly beat out) the Apogees. Up until that, I was hellbent on getting apogee at all costs(or very considerable cost).

The Echo stuff is immensly underrated, seriously good sounding stuff. I really can't believe that they aren't bigger than they are.
scolfaro
5th January 2009
Old 5th January 2009
Gear interested

well, thanks a lot to everybody that contributed, it was really informative... one last question, are the converters in the af4 different than the ones in the af8?
5th January 2009
Old 5th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
well, thanks a lot to everybody that contributed, it was really informative... one last question, are the converters in the af4 different than the ones in the af8?
Yes:

Echo Digital Audio Corporation

/Peter
scolfaro
5th January 2009
Old 5th January 2009
Gear interested

wow, that was fast... sorry for asking questions answered in echos faq...

is the difference in sound between the 8 and the 4 so dramatic, i mean, are the akm converters that much worse than the cirrus?

What about the pres, is it any different, and if so, are we talking entry or pro level here (and this i mean for both the pres and the converters...)?

thanks for the reply peter...
5th January 2009
Old 5th January 2009
Gear addict

I doubt you would be able to hear any difference. The sound has more to do with the circuitry around the converter chip (opamps etc.) than the converter chip itself...I use to own some Echo stuff and it is great sounding stable gear with good customer support.

David B
5th January 2009
Old 5th January 2009
Lives for gear

I have not compared the 4 to the 8 but since the 4 sounds so clean it can not be a dramatic difference unless the 8 is hopelessly colored. I doubt you hear a difference at all. I would also expect the pre's to be identical.

The pre's are very very good, definately not "entry level".

I wouldn't worry about quality, pick the one that fit your needs regarding the I/O and make music. Down the road, try to borrow some stuff like Mytek or Lynx to compare with but do it blind.

/Peter
scolfaro
5th January 2009
Old 5th January 2009
Gear interested

LOL and the happy customers keep on coming...

well, my mind is made up now... thanks a lot people, and specially peter, this last comment just wrapped it all up...

see yall around here... it has been invaluable help...

best regards
15th October 2009
Old 15th October 2009
Gear interested

Help!

Quote:
LOL and the happy customers keep on coming...

well, my mind is made up now... thanks a lot people, and specially peter, this last comment just wrapped it all up...

see yall around here... it has been invaluable help...

best regards
So which one did you finally choose? And are you happy with it?
Please help. I have the same choice to make. AF4 or Motu Ultralite. Thankx.
15th October 2009
Old 15th October 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Draw the Moral
I have an Apogee Duet, and I just bought an Echo Audiofire 8 for more inputs.

So far, the quality is great. I plan on doing a few minor shootouts between the two, just to test.

And here's a thread about using them together as an aggregate device for Mac.
Apogee Duet and Aggregate Devices
scolfaro
15th October 2009
Old 15th October 2009
Gear interested

hello gaurav;

i think i might have posted something about it in another thread, but here it goes anyway;

since january i own an echo af4, couldn't be happier (knock on wood), rock solid drivers (never had a single dropout so far), crystal clear ad/da (like uncanny, this thing has 114db SNR, it's reaally unrivalled in its class), and if you look up you will find that it has waaay cool analogue components (someone somewhere around here did this)...

a friend has an 828mkII, i worked some long hours with it in his studio, and i don't like that one bit, sounds harsh compared to the af... that's not to say that the ultralite sounds bad, 'cause i haven't heard it, but i heard something about the motu sound also somewhere around here, and it certainly has to do with the analogue stages... again, 114db is pretty much unrivalled in the price range, and i would say if you asked me, like all the happy campers that told me to get it, go for the af4, because i am totally happy with it...

can anyone owning an ultralight say something here to keep this form turning into an af infomercial?

so, hope it helps, af rocks... by the way, there may be people who think 8.something ms latency is not super low, which is where it stands, but i can say it has never bothered me, and i am a pianist using akoustik piano all the time, for everything, amongst a lot of other realtime playing things...

so, rgds
15th October 2009
Old 15th October 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to SANDS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draw the Moral View Post
I have an Apogee Duet, and I just bought an Echo Audiofire 8 for more inputs.

So far, the quality is great. I plan on doing a few minor shootouts between the two, just to test.

And here's a thread about using them together as an aggregate device for Mac.
Apogee Duet and Aggregate Devices

How's is that working for you? I could never get much to work with the apogee as an aggregate device. It doesn't seem to like anybody but itself. My other interfaces work together just fine, However I had already sold my AF so I cannot say if it worked or not. My other interefaces did not work with the duet though.

Just curious if you got the new AF 8 with the adat in and out, wondering how that is working compared to the old one with no adat i/o.

"OH! There's air in my Hi Hat! I like that very much!
15th October 2009
Old 15th October 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Draw the Moral
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDS View Post
How's is that working for you? I could never get much to work with the apogee as an aggregate device. It doesn't seem to like anybody but itself. My other interfaces work together just fine, However I had already sold my AF so I cannot say if it worked or not. My other interefaces did not work with the duet though.

Just curious if you got the new AF 8 with the adat in and out, wondering how that is working compared to the old one with no adat i/o.
I got the new one with ADAT.

And for the results, check the thread. I was very detailed.

The short story is that the Duet and AF are working perfectly together so far.
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to SANDS
Cool thanks, I'll check it out.
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Lives for gear

I'll show some love for the Konnekt 24D. The sound is fabulous, but it also has VERY nice bells and whistles. The Fabrik Reverb, Compressor and DeEsser are excellent. And it also has the Assimilator Konnekt plug-in, which is a marvel...it will copy the EQ curve of another song you would like to have the same feel for, and apply it to your own song. Surprisingly effective!

You can hear my songs HERE.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search