Cheap A/D converter
blue_thunder
Thread Starter
#1
4th November 2008
Old 4th November 2008
  #1
Gear maniac
 
blue_thunder's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 273

Thread Starter
Cheap A/D converter

I'm doing all my recording on a 1" 16 track reel to reel recorder and mixing down to 1/4" reel to reel. I would like to find a cheap stereo A/D converter so that I can dump my mixes to my computer for demos and such that will not be sent off for mastering. I'd like to find one with 24 bit / 96 khz sampling, but I don't want to drop a bundle on it. What are your suggestions? Is the Mackie Onyx Satellite any good? Thanks for your help.

Joe
Green Bus Recording Studio
San Angelo, TX
#2
4th November 2008
Old 4th November 2008
  #2
Gear Guru
 
tINY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Orygun
Posts: 12,134



I think you can still get the M-Audio audiophile PCI card for about $100.



-tINY

#3
4th November 2008
Old 4th November 2008
  #3
Lives for gear
 
doncaparker's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,935

Do you have a free PCI slot in your computer? If so, the E-Mu 1212m is a nice, simple, 2 balanced in, 2 balanced out sound card with decent AD/DA converters. And, it's really cheap.

The mixer software you have to use (Patchmix) can be a bit daunting for some folks, but since you are tracking and mixing analog on a real desk, it should be simple for you.

The literature will make you think that you need two PCI slots for this card, but that's not really true. It comes with two cards, and they both have to stick out the back of the computer, but only one of them needs to actually plug into the motherboard via PCI. The other card just sits there and plugs into the first card via ribbon cable.

This is what I use for multitracking, and I'm happy with it. I only need 2 in, 2 out for what I do.
#4
4th November 2008
Old 4th November 2008
  #4
Lives for gear
 
TobyToby's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 535

Maybe a used Lynx L22 or the older Lynx One would be a proper solution. These cards have a good AD/DA conversation . . .The L22 is the top class of audio cards
blue_thunder
Thread Starter
#5
10th November 2008
Old 10th November 2008
  #5
Gear maniac
 
blue_thunder's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 273

Thread Starter
Any other suggestions?
#6
10th November 2008
Old 10th November 2008
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Heartfelt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,728

Echo Audio AF2 has decent specs... bang for buck.
blue_thunder
Thread Starter
#7
10th November 2008
Old 10th November 2008
  #7
Gear maniac
 
blue_thunder's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 273

Thread Starter
Is the Focusrite Saphire any good?
#8
10th November 2008
Old 10th November 2008
  #8
Gear addict
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 410

I've had great results with RME converters.

I've got a 2ch ADI-2 which was reasonably priced. Sounds great imo
#9
10th November 2008
Old 10th November 2008
  #9
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 167

Well if these are just demos, I guess it depends on what you consider a "bundle" and what plans you may have later.

I have been really happy with my E-MU 0202 (~$100 if you shop around). 24-bit/96K. It might even go to 192K. I use it for laying down ideas at home. The ones you mentioned are all seem pretty good too based on reviews. Definitely fine for demos.

I would take a serious look at the Apogee Duet. Also in shootouts, the RME stuff has done very well compared to much higher end stuff. I think those would be the best you would get in the 2-channel sub-$1K range.
blue_thunder
Thread Starter
#10
10th November 2008
Old 10th November 2008
  #10
Gear maniac
 
blue_thunder's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 273

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by aortizjr View Post
Well if these are just demos, I guess it depends on what you consider a "bundle" and what plans you may have later.

I have been really happy with my E-MU 0202 (~$100 if you shop around). 24-bit/96K. It might even go to 192K. I use it for laying down ideas at home. The ones you mentioned are all seem pretty good too based on reviews. Definitely fine for demos.

I would take a serious look at the Apogee Duet. Also in shootouts, the RME stuff has done very well compared to much higher end stuff. I think those would be the best you would get in the 2-channel sub-$1K range.
I'd like to spend as little as possible, but I don't want it to sound like complete shit! The max I would spend is $200. Any more than that, and I'd be better off buying an outboard CD burner.
#11
10th November 2008
Old 10th November 2008
  #11
Gear addict
 
Studiodawg's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 379

Emu 1212 with "mastering grade" converters is in your budget.
#12
10th November 2008
Old 10th November 2008
  #12
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_thunder View Post
The max I would spend is $200. Any more than that, and I'd be better off buying an outboard CD burner.
I disagree. For $200-300 you can purchase a sound card/interface that would have as good and most likely better converters than any CD recorders costing $500 +.
#13
10th November 2008
Old 10th November 2008
  #13
Gear nut
 
myrtlebacker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by aortizjr View Post
I have been really happy with my E-MU 0202 (~$100 if you shop around). 24-bit/96K.
The sound quality of the EMU 0202 is, when there are no dropouts, very good, but the drivers suck (at least on my Mac).
#14
11th November 2008
Old 11th November 2008
  #14
Gear addict
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Walnut Creek, CA, USA
Posts: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_thunder View Post
I'm doing all my recording on a 1" 16 track reel to reel recorder and mixing down to 1/4" reel to reel. I would like to find a cheap stereo A/D converter so that I can dump my mixes to my computer for demos and such that will not be sent off for mastering. I'd like to find one with 24 bit / 96 khz sampling, but I don't want to drop a bundle on it. What are your suggestions? Is the Mackie Onyx Satellite any good? Thanks for your help.

Joe
Green Bus Recording Studio
San Angelo, TX
Doesn't your computer have a sound card? That's a cheap A/D converter right there.

Fran
blue_thunder
Thread Starter
#15
12th November 2008
Old 12th November 2008
  #15
Gear maniac
 
blue_thunder's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 273

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Doesn't your computer have a sound card? That's a cheap A/D converter right there.

Fran
I've recorded stuff through the mic input on my sound card, and it sounded like doggy doo. I'd rather record to cassette tape than use the sound card that came with my computer.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
rackdude / So much gear, so little time!
1
slum-beats / Mastering forum
6
slum-beats / Low End Theory
6
superburtm / So much gear, so little time!
22
hgen / Low End Theory
0

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.