New Reply
Subscribe
chumusic
21st December 2004
Old 21st December 2004
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to chumusic
Cheap Guitar with great sound!!

Hey..anyone who worked with a cheap guitar, and with great results?
well...i've recorded some guitar parts a couple years ago...and the guitar was really cheap like under $50...and what a nice sound!!
I had people giving me great compliments of my recording on the guitar parts...they kept asking me what the brand was...but it was just nameless...lol!
It really works nicely if you place your mic the right way....and a mic with the right character......i've used a really cheap mic too..the Rode NT1 the first model....and a DBX 1086 preamp...
The track entered the top 20...with a nice video..

Same goes for another recording i did with a fender telecaster...i didn't had cables, so i just used a patch cable..straight outha guitar into a compresser...which i didn't even used a preamp on it...just gaining the signal from a compresser..into my recording...and it ended very nice on the track...and the same track...ended being in the top 40 with a nice videoclip too...lol

Anyone who use a way....of simple but with great results?
21st December 2004
Old 21st December 2004
Gear maniac

i got an old, beat up classical gtr for a buck at a yard sale. poor gentleman had passed away. in Willie Nelson kind of shape, with intonation to match... but has a beautiful tone, full of character, with smooth, woody sustain and everything.....records great.
21st December 2004
Old 21st December 2004
Lives for gear

Sometimes "cheap" guitars are the way to go...David Lindley (Jackson Browne, many others) uses some gawd-awful GROs (guitar resembling objects) and has been getting great tone...Buddy Miller (last I heard Albert Lee's replacement with EmmyLou Harris) used a guitar that is essentially held together with Bondo and epoxy...I think I remember that Jimmie Vaughn takes whatever "hecho en Mexico" strat off the rack, tunes it up, and plays it at live shows...

We've got a real POS gut string (my wife bought at a yard sale a million years ago) that really does work for some things....

Good Sound Starts With Good Gear - Great Sound Starts With Great Players
22nd December 2004
Old 22nd December 2004
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Gregg Sartiano
Jon Brion can make anything sound good. L.A. people who haven't caught his Friday night at Largo are missing out. He did a '30's mock-up for a couple of tunes last week -- got the soundman to add in an "old record" sound and tweak everything but high mids (the "transistor radio" EQ), and played a couple on a teeny cheap-ass old acoustic (Kay?). Absolutely f&*king incredible show, as always.

I've used those new Danelectro 12-string electrics -- I think they're in the $200-300 range, which is cheap for a 12. You just have to replace the strings and intonate the f&^k out of 'em before you track.
22nd December 2004
Old 22nd December 2004
Gear interested

i just bought a epiphone sg, $150 sounds pretty good.
22nd December 2004
Old 22nd December 2004
Gear maniac

I really like to shop around for pawn shop guitars and flick through the regional ads to find some 2nd and Xnd hand guitars.
Bringing an real old and battered guitar back to life and putting in some good pick ups is a nice hobby that I persued over the last couple of years. and , yes, sometimes there can be real nice guitars for very cheap price e.g. I found 6 years ago an old Gibson Melody Maker for about 250 marks (about $125), and refitted it with an P90 which is now absolutly lovely and the main crunch guitar working horse.
22nd December 2004
Old 22nd December 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Gregg Sartiano
I've used those new Danelectro 12-string electrics -- I think they're in the $200-300 range, which is cheap for a 12. You just have to replace the strings and intonate the f&^k out of 'em before you track.
Unfortunately, they're not made anymore. Made me get one immedeatly, paid $ 400 though! The sound is incredible, they're also much easier to get used to if you never played a 12-string before than a Rickenbacker. (Though I really liked the Tom Petty model I once had access to during a session).
I also really like my Danelectro Convertible guitar, the bridge is a joke so I replaced it with a Gibson one, great for 'Spy guitar' sounds...

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
22nd December 2004
Old 22nd December 2004
Lives for gear

I do most of my tracking with an early '80's Japanese made Squier Strat and I've bought and sold strats galore trying to find one I like as much. I bought a '79 Strat that I liked for three days before I resold it. I so worried about something happening to the Squier now...I'm thinking the Basswood may be why it sounds so good.

Quote:
Jon Brion can make anything sound good. L.A. people who haven't caught his Friday night at Largo are missing out. He did a '30's mock-up for a couple of tunes last week -- got the soundman to add in an "old record" sound and tweak everything but high mids (the "transistor radio" EQ), and played a couple on a teeny cheap-ass old acoustic (Kay?). Absolutely f&*king incredible show, as always.
Jon's a great example of someone who has fun with music. Have you heard Meaningless?
22nd December 2004
Old 22nd December 2004
Lives for gear

I picked up a mint, used American Strat over the summer for only $400!
22nd December 2004
Old 22nd December 2004
Gear interested

Poor Man's PRS

I've had really good results with the Schecter series of guitars.

About $550 and holds up well against my Les Pauls and PRS.

For extra oomph I put a PRS Dragon II pickup in it. Really can't tell the difference between it and the PRS for about a 1/3 of the price. Plays real nice also.
23rd December 2004
Old 23rd December 2004
Lives for gear

I've got a cheap ($350.) Wechter Pathmaker that doesn't sound like much normally but it works great as a percussive dark rhythm track. Just the right thickness to fill in with percussion. It sounds good plugged in too so go figure.
23rd December 2004
Old 23rd December 2004
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to Jim Roberts Send a message via MSN to Jim Roberts Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Roberts
jho
23rd December 2004
Old 23rd December 2004
jho
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to jho
23rd December 2004
Old 23rd December 2004
Gear maniac

G&L is an amazing sounding and well made guitar (The G&L is is used by a lot of session players). In my opinion, PRS bolt on neck guitars sound better and play better than any of the high end ones and I own a 1987 10 Top! FWIW, I make guitars as a hobby, and do a bit of repair work, and I am always struck at how bolt-on necks sound great, even with acoustics (Taylor).
23rd December 2004
Old 23rd December 2004
Gear maniac

A friend of mine has a Marina Strat copy. Clean it sounded great even with the original cheapo pickups. Since he swapped them for Duncans, that guitar sings.

Paid less then $300 cnd for it.
23rd December 2004
Old 23rd December 2004
Gear interested

I picked up a Squier Strat for $39, put in a set of texas specials that I had laying around and it sounds great. It is now my backup for my 83 62 reissue.
23rd December 2004
Old 23rd December 2004
Gear addict

I got an ESP F-100 for $200. It always suprises me, sounds good on heavy stuff. And looks cool too.
18th September 2005
Old 18th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Jon's a great example of someone who has fun with music. Have you heard Meaningless?
Not to ruin your day or anything -- I've never hear the record, but I gotta start somewhere. Jon's Largo show is great (if they would turn the voices up) -- but you're in trouble if you get to Largo after 9:30...he's got the crowd hook, line, and sinker but you'll never get in unless you're good at walking through walls. My ex-girl said that we got in easy at around 10 pm once, but I believe she's lying -- her ghost is telling me otherwise right now (stop that!) -- I keep making the same mistakes here. Anyway, anyone who doesn't dig the Largo show must be dead to the world or hopelessly stuck in their meaningless existence.
18th September 2005
Old 18th September 2005
Jai guru deva om

The Ibanez "Jet King" guitar is really good for $300 new. You can tap the coils for humbucker or single coil, and it's damn close to a Les Paul sound in humbucker mode and gets close to a strat sound anyhow in single. As far as versatility goes on the cheap it's a damn good one and can do anything from metal to jazz at least very well if not kick ass.

War

18th September 2005
Old 18th September 2005
Gear addict

18th September 2005
Old 18th September 2005
Gear interested

Seagull guitars make a good sounding acoustic for small bills.
18th September 2005
Old 18th September 2005
Gear addict

Arrow

Add another notch in the "80's Japanese Squier Strat" column. I've got Lace Sensors in mine, and although they need to be rewired (crappy soldering job, Mr. Pawn Shop Man) the guitar sounds bright and purty. I have no idea what wood it is, but I think it weighs less than my Yorkshire terrier (5 pounds? 6?). And it stays in tune forever. It's kinda ridiculous, actually. I can sit on the tremelo bar and it will go back in tune. Don't ask. Hey, you don't know me!

While I'm here, does anyone know of any Fender Strat models with as thin a neck as a Japanese Squier Bullet Strat? I would like to upgrade some day (mostly for the sake of a quicker neck and maybe a slightly heavier wood), but I looooove the thinness of the neck - especially for my tiny chubby-warlock-like fingers.

P.S. The "meaningless" tracklisting puns made me cringe. And then vomit. Cringing OR vomiting are bad enough individually, but together is just a sad combination. tutt
18th September 2005
Old 18th September 2005
Lives for gear

18th September 2005
Old 18th September 2005
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumusic
Hey..anyone who worked with a cheap guitar, and with great results?
well...i've recorded some guitar parts a couple years ago...and the guitar was really cheap like under $50...and what a nice sound!!
I had people giving me great compliments of my recording on the guitar parts...they kept asking me what the brand was...but it was just nameless...lol!
It really works nicely if you place your mic the right way....and a mic with the right character......i've used a really cheap mic too..the Rode NT1 the first model....and a DBX 1086 preamp...
The track entered the top 20...with a nice video..

Same goes for another recording i did with a fender telecaster...i didn't had cables, so i just used a patch cable..straight outha guitar into a compresser...which i didn't even used a preamp on it...just gaining the signal from a compresser..into my recording...and it ended very nice on the track...and the same track...ended being in the top 40 with a nice videoclip too...lol

Anyone who use a way....of simple but with great results?
Hey cool, a fellow Dutchie! What were those tracks in the top 20 and top40? I'd like to check them out.
18th September 2005
Old 18th September 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior
love my agile and sx guitars... you'll find em here:
http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitar.html
I've heard good things about those fretless SX basses, and for so cheap thought about having one around just in case the need ever came.

War
18th September 2005
Old 18th September 2005
Lives for gear

Location: A big Canadian island in the Pacific, but my citizenship is otherworldly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlandmorgan
Sometimes "cheap" guitars are the way to go...David Lindley (Jackson Browne, many others) uses some gawd-awful GROs (guitar resembling objects) and has been getting great tone...Buddy Miller (last I heard Albert Lee's replacement with EmmyLou Harris) used a guitar that is essentially held together with Bondo and epoxy...I think I remember that Jimmie Vaughn takes whatever "hecho en Mexico" strat off the rack, tunes it up, and plays it at live shows...

We've got a real POS gut string (my wife bought at a yard sale a million years ago) that really does work for some things....
I'm a big fan of the David Lindley - et al. - approach to making something out of next to nothing. For one it pushes you to really look for the hidden sonic jems in whatever is being played, be it otherwise eyebrow-raising buzz's or rattles, oddball frequency scoops or intonation issues that force you to play within a limited range. An instrument's setup or playability can be not as important as one would be led to believe, depending on the context. The search for the ultimate guitar is like looking for the "best" preamp, comp or any other kind of gear - paying alot doesn't mean it is going to do everthing you ask of it, especially if you want it to not play so nice. As a player I find this approach keeps me digging into what's at hand, and not be put off by the obvious shortcomings. Call it cock-eyed optimism, but I'd like to believe that with every pile of horsesh!t you're gonna find a pony... if you keep up the spade work.

Don't get me wrong - I appreciate fine craftsmanship and I love playing great instruments. This is not a sour grapes rant of "I don't need no stinkin' (insert brand here) to make music" ... it's just that working hard at overcoming limitations challanges my technique and uncovers new forms of expression. I'm interested in the path not taken, who know where that goes?

18th September 2005
Old 18th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s00p3rm4n
P.S. The "meaningless" tracklisting puns made me cringe. And then vomit. Cringing OR vomiting are bad enough individually, but together is just a sad combination. tutt
Sorry...I'll never do it again. End of the night giddiness, you know...

If it's possible to wear out a CD, my Meaningless CD I bought at Amoeba in '02 is a candidate. Luckily, I have it in 16-bit .aiff format on 3 different computers.

Now where did I put my original copy of "Ro Sham Bo," anyway?
18th September 2005
Old 18th September 2005
Gear Head

As far as cheap acoustics go, I used to have an older washburn that recorded as well as my taylor. Cheap electrics can be made to sound alot better by swapping out pickups and such, used to have old Jacksons, Charvelle's, and squier strats that gave some decent perfomances, but notheing like my Anderson Drop Top
19th September 2005
Old 19th September 2005
Gear addict

I have a Burns 12 string electric that kills. Plays well, sturdy workmanlike guitar that sounds great. Have gotten a lot of compliments on the tone.
I have tried several of their 6 string electrics and they were also excellent. Some of them are butt ugly though.... that doesn't bother me...
might be an issue with others. Most of them can be had for $350 to $500.
19th September 2005
Old 19th September 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by s00p3rm4n
Add another notch in the "80's Japanese Squier Strat" column.
And another.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search