FIXED: Profire 2626 - code 10 "device cannot start" error in Windows XP
New Reply
Subscribe
blakegaston
12th July 2008
Old 12th July 2008
Gear maniac

Smile FIXED: Profire 2626 - code 10 "device cannot start" error in Windows XP

This guide was originally posted by me, on the M-Audio forums.
FIXED: Profire 2626 - code 10 "device cannot start" error in Windows XP - The Official M-Audio User Forums

Note:
Due to conflicts with either Apple hardware, the XP Firewire bus drivers, or the Dice II chip in the Profire 2626 units, this is the only way I could successfully get the units working in Windows XP (SP2 or 3) via Bootcamp.
------------------
The Problem:
It seems that certain revisions/models of TI based firewire chipsets do not functional correctly with the TI OHCI Compliant IEE 1394 Host Controller driver that is built into windows XP. (AKA Driver Version 5.1.2535.0). Specific examples include certain Asus motherboards that have TI firewire chipsets and most (if not all) Apple intel desktops and laptops.
When installing your Profire 2626, you would install the drivers, turn off the computer, plug in and power on the 2626, restart the computer, and finish the driver installation process only to be replaced with a "Code 10 - The Device cannot start) error.
The Solution:
When Windows Vista was released, the TI OHCI Compliant IEE 1394 Host Controller driver was updated, to version 6.0.6000.16386, and then once again, to version 6.0.6001.18000. However, while these are Vista specific drivers, they actually work just fine in Windows XP. (I have tested and confirmed that both work, although I do recommend 6.0.6001.18000 because it is more recent)
By replacing the older IEEE controller drivers with with the Vista ones, your Profire 2626 should install successfully and allow you to start making music!
------------------A couple more notes-------------------
This fix worked on three different test computers. (Sony VIAO Laptop, A PC I built, and a Mac Pro 8-core [early 2008])
It requires a compatible Texas Instrument firewire chipset. If you are using any Via firewire chipset, I cannot garentee this will work.
This does however, successfully get Profire 2626 units working in XP (SP2 and SP3 both)

Here is what is required:
-A legit copy of Windows XP SP2 or SP3
-A legit copy of Windows Vista 32bit (or a friend who has it)
-A computer using a Texas Instrument based firewire chipset.
Follow these steps carefully. Deleting a file or moving a file where it shouldnt be can potentially cause system instability.
In Window's Vista, navigate to the following:
Code:
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository
In this folder, there should be a bunch of folders that probably looks extremely confusing. You are going to need to find a folder called 1394.inf_82b142f8
This folder contains the newer driver. (6.0.6001.18000). If you do not have this folder, then there should be another folder named 1394.inf_1c635995 which has the older, but also functional driver.
There is also a chance that you might not have either of these folders. In this case, find the folder that starts with 1394.inf and open it. There should be a file called 1394.inf. Open this file and under [version] there should be a parameter called "DriverVer". As long as the driver version is 6.0.6xxx.xxxxx, you should be fine.
Copy the 1394.inf_82b142f8 (or whichever folder you have), to a flash drive, CD, etc. (or if you are dual booting XP and Vista, you can just go into My Computer, then click you windows XP drive, and place it somewhere in there. The only thing thats important is that you get this folder somewhere onto your Windows XP computer / drive.
Boot into Windows XP
Click the start button and right click the my computer icon, and chose "manage". On the left, select "Device Manager" A list of your computer's devices should come up. Click the small arrow next to IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers. A device called "Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller" or "OHCI Complaint IEEE 1394 Host Controller" should come up.
Right click on this device, and choose "Update Driver"
If a window comes up asking you to check Windows Update for software, choose "no not at this time", then click next
7/
You should now have a window titled "Hardware Update Wizard" up that says it will help you install software or "Texas instruments OHCI Complaint IEEE 1394 Host Controller" It will also say if your hardware came with a CD, stick it in now. Choose the 2nd option (Install from a list of specific location (advanced) and click next.
Select the second radio button that says "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install" and click next
There should now be a list of drivers you can choose. (probably only two). Ignore both of these. Click "Have Disk..." at the bottom and navigate to the 1394.inf_82b142f8 folder (or whichever folder you found), and select the 1394.inf file inside of it., and click "OK"
There should now be two options for drivers you can select. They might seem to be the exact same ones as before, but they are not. Either way, click the second one (Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEE 1394 Host Controller) and click next. The driver should install and you might need to restart your computer.
Go back into the Device Manager after your computer has restarted and select the Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEE 1394 Host Controller device. Right click it and click properties. Under the "driver" tab it should say the driver date and version. Make sure the driver version is 6.0.6xxx.xxxxx. If it is, then you did everything right!

Install the drivers for your Profire 2626 using the user guide that came with it or by following the instructions here: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.faq&ID=485df5a71d1c49faeb8d332238ef7d4e[/URL]
Your Profire 2626 should successfully work and you can start making music with your favourite DAW software! If you have any problems or questions, feel free to ask me on these forums or PM me. This tutorial is not supported by M-audio employees or tech support, so they might not encourage this, but you never know. Maybe they will.
------------------
The 6.0.6xxx.xxxxx version drivers ARE a part of Vista, therefore it would be illegal to distribute them over the internet, which is why I do not have them posted here. They are the property of Microsoft. (I think). I have informed several M-audio employees, as well as RayT, the Hardware Product Manager of my findings, and hopefully, they can figure out a way patch this up without the need for this work around.
12th July 2008
Old 12th July 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakegaston View Post
This guide was originally posted by me, on the M-Audio forums.
FIXED: Profire 2626 - code 10 "device cannot start" error in Windows XP - The Official M-Audio User Forums

Note:
Due to conflicts with either Apple hardware, the XP Firewire bus drivers, or the Dice II chip in the Profire 2626 units, this is the only way I could successfully get the units working in Windows XP (SP2 or 3) via Bootcamp.
------------------
The Problem:
It seems that certain revisions/models of TI based firewire chipsets do not functional correctly with the TI OHCI Compliant IEE 1394 Host Controller driver that is built into windows XP. (AKA Driver Version 5.1.2535.0). Specific examples include certain Asus motherboards that have TI firewire chipsets and most (if not all) Apple intel desktops and laptops.
When installing your Profire 2626, you would install the drivers, turn off the computer, plug in and power on the 2626, restart the computer, and finish the driver installation process only to be replaced with a "Code 10 - The Device cannot start) error.
The Solution:
When Windows Vista was released, the TI OHCI Compliant IEE 1394 Host Controller driver was updated, to version 6.0.6000.16386, and then once again, to version 6.0.6001.18000. However, while these are Vista specific drivers, they actually work just fine in Windows XP. (I have tested and confirmed that both work, although I do recommend 6.0.6001.18000 because it is more recent)
By replacing the older IEEE controller drivers with with the Vista ones, your Profire 2626 should install successfully and allow you to start making music!
------------------A couple more notes-------------------
This fix worked on three different test computers. (Sony VIAO Laptop, A PC I built, and a Mac Pro 8-core [early 2008])
It requires a compatible Texas Instrument firewire chipset. If you are using any Via firewire chipset, I cannot garentee this will work.
This does however, successfully get Profire 2626 units working in XP (SP2 and SP3 both)

Here is what is required:
-A legit copy of Windows XP SP2 or SP3
-A legit copy of Windows Vista 32bit (or a friend who has it)
-A computer using a Texas Instrument based firewire chipset.
Follow these steps carefully. Deleting a file or moving a file where it shouldnt be can potentially cause system instability.
In Window's Vista, navigate to the following:
Code:
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository
In this folder, there should be a bunch of folders that probably looks extremely confusing. You are going to need to find a folder called 1394.inf_82b142f8
This folder contains the newer driver. (6.0.6001.18000). If you do not have this folder, then there should be another folder named 1394.inf_1c635995 which has the older, but also functional driver.
There is also a chance that you might not have either of these folders. In this case, find the folder that starts with 1394.inf and open it. There should be a file called 1394.inf. Open this file and under [version] there should be a parameter called "DriverVer". As long as the driver version is 6.0.6xxx.xxxxx, you should be fine.
Copy the 1394.inf_82b142f8 (or whichever folder you have), to a flash drive, CD, etc. (or if you are dual booting XP and Vista, you can just go into My Computer, then click you windows XP drive, and place it somewhere in there. The only thing thats important is that you get this folder somewhere onto your Windows XP computer / drive.
Boot into Windows XP
Click the start button and right click the my computer icon, and chose "manage". On the left, select "Device Manager" A list of your computer's devices should come up. Click the small arrow next to IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers. A device called "Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller" or "OHCI Complaint IEEE 1394 Host Controller" should come up.
Right click on this device, and choose "Update Driver"
If a window comes up asking you to check Windows Update for software, choose "no not at this time", then click next
7/
You should now have a window titled "Hardware Update Wizard" up that says it will help you install software or "Texas instruments OHCI Complaint IEEE 1394 Host Controller" It will also say if your hardware came with a CD, stick it in now. Choose the 2nd option (Install from a list of specific location (advanced) and click next.
Select the second radio button that says "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install" and click next
There should now be a list of drivers you can choose. (probably only two). Ignore both of these. Click "Have Disk..." at the bottom and navigate to the 1394.inf_82b142f8 folder (or whichever folder you found), and select the 1394.inf file inside of it., and click "OK"
There should now be two options for drivers you can select. They might seem to be the exact same ones as before, but they are not. Either way, click the second one (Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEE 1394 Host Controller) and click next. The driver should install and you might need to restart your computer.
Go back into the Device Manager after your computer has restarted and select the Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEE 1394 Host Controller device. Right click it and click properties. Under the "driver" tab it should say the driver date and version. Make sure the driver version is 6.0.6xxx.xxxxx. If it is, then you did everything right!

Install the drivers for your Profire 2626 using the user guide that came with it or by following the instructions here: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.faq&ID=485df5a71d1c49faeb8d332238ef7d4e[/URL]
Your Profire 2626 should successfully work and you can start making music with your favourite DAW software! If you have any problems or questions, feel free to ask me on these forums or PM me. This tutorial is not supported by M-audio employees or tech support, so they might not encourage this, but you never know. Maybe they will.
------------------
The 6.0.6xxx.xxxxx version drivers ARE a part of Vista, therefore it would be illegal to distribute them over the internet, which is why I do not have them posted here. They are the property of Microsoft. (I think). I have informed several M-audio employees, as well as RayT, the Hardware Product Manager of my findings, and hopefully, they can figure out a way patch this up without the need for this work around.
Wish someone would've figured that out back in November when I originally bought my M-Audio 1814 and Pro Tools M-Powered. I got the Code 10 every time I tried to install it, and M-Audio didn't even know how to fix it, other than to update the firmware (which might not have even worked). I figured I'd just wait till I got my Macbook Pro and then try to install the 1814 on that...solved it. Shame I didn't get to use it right away, and while I wish I would've been using it months ago, I'm glad it finally works.
blakegaston
12th July 2008
Old 12th July 2008
Gear maniac

Yea, I am hoping to hear that this solution is working successfully for people. I literally have been trying for weeks and weeks to get my Profire's up and running. I hope this turns out to be beneficial for others.
12th July 2008
Old 12th July 2008
Gear maniac

OMG!!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you SO much for this! I had called M-audio tech support a bunch of times trying to get it to work in bootcamp, but they told me it wasn't supported and couldn't do anything for me.

I had a couple threads on these forums begging for help, and I tried this, and bam. 2626 is recognized and fully functional. Great find!
27th July 2008
Old 27th July 2008
Gear interested

Has anyone tried any other m-audio firewire devices?

Will this work with he firewire 1814?
blakegaston
28th July 2008
Old 28th July 2008
Gear maniac

Yes, there is a chance that it might, while I have not tested it directly.

People have gotten back to me with success stories reguarding the PM IO and FW 410, which use the same drivers and bridgeco chip as the 1418 so it might work
7th August 2008
Old 7th August 2008
Gear interested

TEST: Working with Firewire 1814 and MBP

This fix also works with a Macbook Pro and M-Audio Firewire 1814.

I'm running PT7.4cs2 smoothly on Windows.
15th April 2010
Old 15th April 2010
Gear interested

I have been looking for that driver

I cannot for the life of me find a copy of the driver to fix this problem.

OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller driver 6.0.6001.18000

Can anyone help, or direct me to where I can get it. I do not have the vista operating system, or know anyone who runs it. I have searched the web and come up empty.

Please help, trying to finish a project on a deadline.
3rd September 2010
Old 3rd September 2010
Gear interested

Profire 610

Hi,

my Profire 610 control Panel is stuck at sample rate 44.1 can anyone help. If I try to change it I get (The attached device is not functioning). This occurs with or without Cubase Essential 5 installed.

Running XP Pro SP2 via Bootcamp / Snow Leopard.

Cheers

John
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search