Great solid state guitar amp?
newatthis
2nd December 2004
Old 2nd December 2004
Gear Head

Great solid state guitar amp?

Is there such a thing as a great sounding small solid state guitar amp?
2nd December 2004
Old 2nd December 2004

That is a good question.
There doesn't appear to be many made anymore.

I have a Princeton Chorus that sounds good clean.
The distortion is ass-y.

Why no tubes?
I just picked up a Blues junior and it smokes!

Good luck on your search!

David
2nd December 2004
Old 2nd December 2004
Gear nut

the old yahmaha amps from the 80 were are preety good nice tone control and clean sound.
They are built like tanks
2nd December 2004
Old 2nd December 2004
Gear addict

Many many people love Roland JC120s. Especially Jamaicans.

I think MusicMan made some cool solid state stuff, but that may have been hybrid.

ANy body ever hear of Dan Pearce? He made some incredible stuff.
GPl
2nd December 2004
Old 2nd December 2004
GPl
Lives for gear

I have an old LabSeries 100w/15" jbl in it. I don't think it's been powered up in ages. Weighs a ton too. I never really liked it all that much but for clean tones it's alright. Although you can get an interesting heavy sound from it if you drive the shit out of it......
2nd December 2004
Old 2nd December 2004
Gear addict

2nd December 2004
Old 2nd December 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Yutaka
Has anyone here tried the small Brian May Vox amp? It is supposedly based on his recording amp, and it's small and very cheap.

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/brianMay.htm
I'ts a cool little amp, but hasn't a big solid state headroom like bigger amps has. BM used a small amp to boost the bigger one,
AC-30 I guess..

ruudman
2nd December 2004
Old 2nd December 2004
Lives for gear

Depends on your definition of great sounding...

I have and use regularly (both studio and live) a Peavey Special 130...very cool amp, as it has a sweepable mid control, and it can be louder than hell.

Other "great" solid staters could include the JC120, just about any of the Peavey combo series (Bandit, Renown, Special, Session), the Pierce stuff mentioned before, Mosvalve (well kept secret!), and the Sessions amps.

MM are almost all hybrid designs...

Please note that almost all of these excel at clean with differing results in grit mode...although the Mosvalve has (IMO) a very good overdrive sound...
2nd December 2004
Old 2nd December 2004
Gear addict

I just recorded a little Marshall solid state amp and it sounded great. Of course the player is great, as is his 70's Les Paul and his taste in pedals. I was let down to see him bring that amp in... and then... wow. George circa Let It Be. ??????
3rd December 2004
Old 3rd December 2004
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Yutaka
Has anyone here tried the small Brian May Vox amp? It is supposedly based on his recording amp, and it's small and very cheap.

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/brianMay.htm
I've got one in the studio, it's great!

A guitar playing friend came over that owns Egnater pre's and all sorts of exotic gear. I plugged him into the Brian May and plugged it into a 1-12" Celestion extension cab.

He freaked!
3rd December 2004
Old 3rd December 2004
Gear interested

For solid state, the Tech 21 Tradmark 60 is a nice 60-watt, 1x12 guitar amp (they make a larger and smaller one as well). The guys in my band (www.BrassAttack.com) use them and they really fit the bill.

Tech 21 is the company that manufacturs the Sans Amp tube amp emulation preamps. Good stuff.

Here is a link:

http://www.tech21nyc.com/tm60.html

If you are interested in tube guitar amps, check out theTraynor YCV Series manufactured by Yorkville Sound.

The models are YCV40WR (available as 40 watt 1x12 or 2x10) and YCV20WR (class "A" amp 1x12). Yorkville also makes an 80 watt 4x10 and 80-watt 2x10. They sound great, are extremely reliable, and have a two-year UNLIMITED warranty (no kidding!) Their web site is http://www.yorkville.com/
3rd December 2004
Old 3rd December 2004
Gear maniac

depends on the sound you want, but old 80s polytone amps have a real cool character to them. they're a little more jazzy, but aren't as flat/boring when clean as most solid state amps.
3rd December 2004
Old 3rd December 2004
Lives for gear

I would repeat the Tech21 Trademark 10 (or 60).
3rd December 2004
Old 3rd December 2004
Gear addict

My go-to small amp is a Vox Pathfinder (15 watts w/ reverb and tremelo, 8" speaker). The fx are ok, but the amp is great, often getting the nod over my boutique amps when recording. I have modified this amp with a Fender alnico 10 and it makes a major difference. I can even play gigs with it. Plays well with pedals, great for rock, pop and blues.

Another little amp I tried and almost bought was the small H&K. A great sounding ROCK amp.

Best....H
3rd December 2004
Old 3rd December 2004
Gear addict

I have a Hughes and Kettner Attax 80. Really broad set of tanes available. It has a nice warm sound when played clean, and snarls nicely for a modern rock distorted sound.
4th December 2004
Old 4th December 2004
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally posted by flame Linear
the old yahmaha amps from the 80 were are preety good nice tone control and clean sound.
They are built like tanks
Paul Rivera designed those and they were really good. Paul is a wonderful guitar amp designer.
4th December 2004
Old 4th December 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by StarCycle
Paul Rivera designed those and they were really good. Paul is a wonderful guitar amp designer.
Soldano only designed the T100 and T50, both tube amps. He has also made something of a sideline of bringing these back to design specs. Apparently yamaha cheaped out on a couple of compenents in production.
4th December 2004
Old 4th December 2004
Lives for gear

I once had a great experience with a Vox Cambridge - a 30W hybrid amp - sounded a bit like early ZZTop - cheap little ****er too

Jo
4th December 2004
Old 4th December 2004
Gear addict

*cough*pathfinder15*cough*

4th December 2004
Old 4th December 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Labs
As long as its better than a valvestate id be happy...I hate that amp....

Gustav
Valvestate dfegad dfegad dfegad
5th December 2004
Old 5th December 2004
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally posted by logichead
My go-to small amp is a Vox Pathfinder (15 watts w/ reverb and tremelo, 8" speaker). The fx are ok, but the amp is great, often getting the nod over my boutique amps when recording. I have modified this amp with a Fender alnico 10 and it makes a major difference. I can even play gigs with it. Plays well with pedals, great for rock, pop and blues.

Another little amp I tried and almost bought was the small H&K. A great sounding ROCK amp.

Best....H
Does this Pathfinder thingy have a sound characteristic like, hmmm, classic Vox? I know it is a silly question to ask for something this cheap, but since you rate it so highly that I thought I'd ask... And 10" speaker - how would you describe the difference it made?

Have you had a chance to try the direct out?

Thanks!

-Yutaka
newatthis
5th December 2004
Old 5th December 2004
Gear Head

Thanks for the great comments so far and I did find the other thread about solid state amps but I am looking for a small amp. The vox pathfinder 15r sure looks interesting but how does it compare, soundwise, to a solid state Fender champ30?
5th December 2004
Old 5th December 2004
SawSlut

Gallien Kruger!
6th December 2004
Old 6th December 2004
Gear maniac

i really like the clean on my tiny roland cube 60. sounds a bit like a jazz chorus minus the chorus..... sounds great if you've got a nice hollowbody.

gotta second that dfegad Valvestate dfegad
6th December 2004
Old 6th December 2004
Gear interested

Wow, I thought the Vox Pathfinder was my little secret. I have the Mini stack one, which means it comes with a 2x10 cab. I love it. Its very versatile and cheap. The only problem is the lack of headroom, but for recording its really great.
8th December 2004
Old 8th December 2004
Gear interested

i sold quite a few of those little vox pathfinders, and cambridges when i worked for the evil guitar center empire... the cambridge has a tube pre if i remember correctly. they're quite good.

another amp that is a GREAT sounding solid state would be any of the "polytone" amps. great little clean jazz-y type amps.

i just did a bunch of recording with a roland jc-60 and it was very cool. the 60's are harder to find than the 90's and 120's.

play a bunch of stuff and listen to your own ears. it's going to be you're amp...

good luck.

g-monkey
8th December 2004
Old 8th December 2004
Lives for gear

The Rivera Yamahas sound really nice.

I usually record with a Top Hat Club Royale, but I heard this little Roland Micro Cube was a nice toy, with amp modeling and stuff, so I bought one, just for fun.

It sounds really awful. Not one useable sound in it. Wanna buy it? It's got 2 minutes of playing time on it.

I had a Polytone Maxi Brute in the early '80's. It was a 4x10 and had a stereo octave divider. I hear they're better now, but I didn't like that one. Weighed a ton, too.
8th December 2004
Old 8th December 2004
Gear maniac

The Vox Cambridge! Ah, that's what it's called. I recorded an album for a band a few years back and the guitar player had this cheap little Vox amp with one tube in it. He played a japanese Tele Custom and it is still one of the coolest guitar sounds I've ever recorded. I gotta find one, now that I know the model! I've been wanting one ever since but didn't know what it's called.

I just picked up one of those little amps built into a cigarette pack. Doesn't sound so great with the little plastic built in speaker but it's got a speaker out so I pluged into my Boogie 1-12 cabinet and it really smokes! No pun intended! Cool tone for solos and raunchy rhythms.

Also like the good old Pig Nose. Especially feeding another amp or cabinet.

Gonna check out the Brian May and Pathfinders as well.

-Scotty
9th December 2004
Old 9th December 2004
Gear interested

I'll put in seconds for both the pathfinder & the pignose. I've got them both & they both rock in the studio. The pathfinder, the 15r one, is 15 watts (more than my '69 princeton), but only has a 8" speaker so it doesn't put out gigging-levels of volume, but if you hook it up w/a bigger speaker that's no longer a problem. I've heard (but not seen) of people actually using a pathfinder to drive 4 x 10 cabs. I also remember hearing rumors that Zappa would sometimes use a pignose in the studio - again, second-hand info. I will say that once I was recording & my usual amp crapped out, so I pulled out the pignose & REALLY liked it. And they're both pretty low budget.

JWP
9th December 2004
Old 9th December 2004
Lives for gear

the smokey amp is kinda cool and the tech 21 trademark 60 doesn't completely suck either.
joshua
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search