help me choose a convertor box
New Reply
Subscribe
wakestyle
25th June 2008
Old 25th June 2008
Lives for gear

help me choose a convertor box

Hey can't decide which ad/da convertor to get for my rig, going with a pcie digital card (probably rme or lynx).

In the under $1500 range, with 8in 8out mainly, don't even need mic pre's but it would be ok.

what I've look at :

Presonus firestudio

what other digital convertors are there??

Rme ones don't really float my boat, with no headphones jacks etc, or too expensive.
25th June 2008
Old 25th June 2008
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Mixwell
Whats you're computer? Whats you're DAW? What type of music are you doing?

The answers to these questions will help other posters answer your questions;

Without mentioning the specifics you're going to get very general answers that might not help. It might actually make your task of finding products that fit your studio harder, because of the variation of systems out there.

If you're going with a multi-channel PCI-e card like the Lynx or the RME, this will widen your choice, as there are a multitude of AD/DA chassis out there. Depending on the style of music, and the sound your looking there are more than a few options. Me personally, I prefer the Apogee Rosetta 800, because of its musical character and vibe for the music I work on, but I would not have a problem cutting records with the Lynx Aurora. I tend to like color, so I would preferably clock it to a Big Ben, or a Antelope OCX, so as to tighten up the colorless frequency response of the Aurora.

If you need a HP jack with monitor control, why not look at FW devices, like the Apogee Ensemble [also with microphone preamps and DI's].....If you're thinking about an all in one [and running a Mac] the Ensemble is a great interface.
25th June 2008
Old 25th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post
Hey can't decide which ad/da convertor to get for my rig, going with a pcie digital card (probably rme or lynx).

In the under $1500 range, with 8in 8out mainly, don't even need mic pre's but it would be ok.

what I've look at :

Presonus firestudio

what other digital convertors are there??

Rme ones don't really float my boat, with no headphones jacks etc, or too expensive.
Rme Multiface 2 would fit exactly in your description,it has 1 hp jack aswell.
RME: Hammerfall DSP Multiface II

I use the mf1 for years without 1 pop/click/glitch/whatever.It goes down to 32 samples/0.7 ms.

wakestyle
25th June 2008
Old 25th June 2008
Lives for gear

Ok,

I'm running PC and doing some variety of styles, but will be mainly recording acoustic and electric guitar DI, along with a few different synths and roland mv-8000 drum machine. Style is mainly breakbeat/hiphop.

I've looked at the aurora but it's a bit too expensive, and I've also tried both firewire and pci cards before. I'm going hands' down with PCIe, either RME or Lynx.

As far as clock, I figured that the newer PCIe cards wouldn't have any issues with needing to be reclocked..?? not sure there.\
\
thanks
wakestyle
25th June 2008
Old 25th June 2008
Lives for gear

I see that the focusrite saffire pro can operate in stand-alone mode, so that might be a good option for me??
25th June 2008
Old 25th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post
I see that the focusrite saffire pro can operate in stand-alone mode, so that might be a good option for me??
Rme-Multiface can do stand alone mode,flash your setting into totalmix and off you go.And it sounds better than the focusrite,+you can expand it easyly with better ad/da via adat or s/pdif.And the rme drivers are the best in the audioworld by a LONG shot!The rme clock is also very very good and responds to external clocking flawlessly without adding jitter.Check the rme tech papers to know why.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search