Behringer Eurolive vs Mackie SRM vs JBL Eon
Old 18th June 2008
Lives for gear

Behringer Eurolive vs Mackie SRM vs JBL Eon

Ok, basically, if you couldn't tell, I'm just trying to get the best pair of live sound speakers for the least money. I heard the Behringer's aren't too far off the mackies at all, and found pairs on ebay for around $200. Does anyone know if they do compare? They are Behringer... but...

Or should I just go passive speakers and a power amp? I did some research, and I think powered speakers end up cheaper... is that right?
Old 18th June 2008
Gear maniac

At my work I have a fleet of 30-40 pairs of JBL Eons that I rent out...fantastic speakers with some pretty amazing construction/ingenuity inside. The 15" G2's pound away like nobodies business....both them and the 10's have good connection options and a mic pre built in. THey get used for bands as mains/monitors, for corporate events, DJ mains and screaming monitors, track meets...you name it. They are actively cooled and run well at low volumes and all-out.

The newer mackie V2's in the SRM series are really impressive sound-wise, and it sounds like they have conquered the thermal shutdown problems they had with the original 350's and 450's... the V2 SRM450's sound alot more like a wood box than a plastic powered one....

The behringers, well, they are behringers. The B212A is a decent plastic cabinet but only due to it's low price....and remember, behringer 'watts' are verrry different than real watts...drastically over stated. At least there warranty is good...you will probably use it...The 'Gorilla' is a horrible, horrible sounding box.
Old 18th June 2008
Banned

We have a ton of Mackie SRM450s and about four pairs of EONs as well.

The problem I have with EONs is that they are a bit lower powered and they will fart a bit with low end stuff.
The EONs have 15"s but are lower powered than the Mackie SRM450s.

The other EON problem is that front piece is the heat sink for the amp as well as the basket for the low end driver.
There isn't a separate speaker to have re-coned if they blow up.
It is a big job for re-cone shops.
It is more costly that slipping in a new 12" in the 450s.
Old 18th June 2008
Gear addict

I use the Eurolives with my band. I think we have fixed them a couple times already. Parts started rattling, turned out things went loose inside one cabinet. Then one of the woofers unglued a bit from the surround, we used some rubber cement to fix that. Then in one speaker the crossover (which has components glued on with some silicone epoxy or something) just started falling apart. Six months ago we started using some JBL's and they are a giant step forward. They sound better and zero problems so far.
Old 18th June 2008
Banned

We ship our SRM450s and EONs all over the US in Anvil cases.
The EONs have NOT fallen apart and they have been dropped off of stages a few times each!
The SRM450s have torroidal transformers on the power supplies that will fall off with enough banging around.
It has only happened twice, but they destroyed a lot of components while dangling around in the cabinet.
Fortunately they were under warrantee at the time.

The SRM450s do sound a lot better and have more power.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search