Drum OH?
New Reply
Subscribe
JBR
31st May 2008
Old 31st May 2008
Gear interested

Drum OH?

Ok i'm looking to buy a pair LDC's for my drum over heads, probably at max $150 ea and an interface to go with it that has useable pres but isnt more than around $250.

OH's:

My Ideas so far are a pair of AT2020's or a pair of SP B1's? any better ideas? or if these are both good choices maybe point me in the direction of which would be better.

Interface:

I'm using windows, and USB 2.0. I was thinking maybe an M-Audio Fast Track Pro? Any new ideas would be great.

Thanx in Advance
31st May 2008
Old 31st May 2008
Gear interested

Send a message via AIM to MikeVYo
Anyway you can get a firewire card installed on the PC? I think it would open up your options alittle more in terms of interfaces. I still have problems trusting the old USB(not quite sure why, just dont)
JBR
31st May 2008
Old 31st May 2008
Gear interested

Oh, can you give me a few ideas for what brands make good firewire cards? Also would this most likely be the best course of action in the long run?
31st May 2008
Old 31st May 2008
Lives for gear

KEL hm1s...they're awesome.
JBR
31st May 2008
Old 31st May 2008
Gear interested

Thanx for the reply, the Kel's look really nice, i'm gonna have to send an email and ask how much shipping is to australia though. Hopefully it isnt too much.
31st May 2008
Old 31st May 2008
Gear maniac

Firewire PCI cards; buy one with a Texas Instruments (TI) chipset. Get a FW400 speed 1394a card. Buy one that's firewire only, no combo firewire/USB cards, they won't work.

For $250-300 USD, try and find a used Presonus Firepod. 8 usable mic pre's. zero latency monitoring, good headphone power & level. Has drivers that work well with XP, and will work with virtually any PC motherboard/chipset combo. You should be able to find someone who'd ship you one to AU from USA.

I have the SP B1's, I'd choose them over the A-T 2020's.

Buy used whenever you can and save $.
31st May 2008
Old 31st May 2008
Gear addict

>My Ideas so far are a pair of AT2020's or a pair of SP B1's?

I personally would prefer the ATs over the SPs. I have had the B1 and I really didnt like it all that much. Any particular reason you want LDCs over SDCs for Overheads?

>I was thinking maybe an M-Audio Fast Track Pro?
Now this one I do have and absolutely hate it. It picks up noise coming from the computer even when not Buss powered. It consistently has this high pitched whine. The Mic pres arent great in it either. I cant speak for any of the Fast Track Ultra products. Some one here said that they were completely different and re-designed from the previous units but the Fast Track Pro sucks as an interface.

Go for either a firewire or PCI interface. I find that PCI interfaces tend to have less latency than outboard devices.
31st May 2008
Old 31st May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkyer View Post
KEL hm1s...they're awesome.
Yes, +1 on the KELs - you can't do better for the money.
JBR
31st May 2008
Old 31st May 2008
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylithra View Post
>My Ideas so far are a pair of AT2020's or a pair of SP B1's?

I personally would prefer the ATs over the SPs. I have had the B1 and I really didnt like it all that much. Any particular reason you want LDCs over SDCs for Overheads?
I'm looking LDC's because i won't be close micing the toms and i read that LDC's pic the toms up better than SDC? This may be wrong but it was something i read a little while ago.

Thanx for the replies from all the other guys, i think i will look at getting a firewire card and think about an interface from there. Thanx for all the imput.

*edit* Does anyone have any experience with Lacie cards? if so are they any good?
1st June 2008
Old 1st June 2008
Gear interested

Send a message via AIM to MikeVYo
I use lacie external hard drives, and so far i've had no problems. as far as firewire cards...not quite sure.
1st June 2008
Old 1st June 2008
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Forget stereo and get a used Shure KSM32. They are amazing for overheads at any price point.

6-day Recording Boot Camp in LOS ANGELES, August 4-9, 2014
6-day Recording Boot Camp in LOS ANGELES, October 20-25, 2014

1st June 2008
Old 1st June 2008
Lives for gear

I've had really good luck with the Rode NT1a's.
AT 4030's are also a good bang for the buck.
1st June 2008
Old 1st June 2008
Gear addict

Yesterday i recorded a drums with two Rode NT1A as room mics. Toms and kick were huuuge, cymbals bright, but not harsh (room was small and almost dead treated) and overall picture was decent. As overheads i used Rodes NT5 sdc's, but for the mix i chose to use mostly NT1A tracks, just because this way drums sounded the best.
JBR
1st June 2008
Old 1st June 2008
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
Forget stereo and get a used Shure KSM32. They are amazing for overheads at any price point.
Are there any advantages to going mono? or is the idea that i am going to get one better mic for the same price as the two i suggested?
2nd June 2008
Old 2nd June 2008
Lives for gear

if it was me I'd go the firewire route. Get a Focusrite Saffire LE if you only need the two mic ins, it has 2 line ins on the back so you could theoretically do 4 tracks simultaneously. I use the Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 and Pro 10. The pres are some of the best on an interface period, especially for under $1k a piece. I think they are much better than anything by PreSonus and leaps and bounds above anything labeled M-Audio. Firewire has many advantages over USB with music. Firewire will have a larger amount of dedicated bandwidth. Chances are only your interface will be on the firewire card where with USB you have a mouse, hard drive, keyboard, or whatever else.

As far as mics I'd recommend spending $200-$300 on one mic of higher quality. Any condenser at $150 just won't give you much to work with. I've owned them and I hated myself for ever wasting my money on them, you'll never get anything for them when you realize they were a mistake. Look into new/used mics like the AT4050, AT4050 CM/5, AT4040, AT4033, AT4033/CL, AT4047, Sterling Audio ST55, Groove Tubes GT57/GT55, etc. Check out ebay, craigslist, and music go round. Don't forget to use resources like here or check sites like harmony central where you can access user reviews. As far as the imaging of toms it's all about personal preference. I use big drums and big cymbals and prefer the vintage sound so I like LDC mics. SDC mics also work well if you want to go that route check out the Rode NT5 pair or the Shure KSM137 pair/individual mics.

I would avoid using any Studio Projects mics and to a lesser extent the low end A/T mics. I would say hold off and pick up a second mic when you get the money. You will like yourself later down the road. Personally I use either AT4050 CM/5 or Sterling Audio ST79 in stereo pairs as overheads with e904 tom mics, e905 on snare, and then any number of mics on kick drum (I have like 5 kick mics that I go between/combine). Typically I like to use something like SM81 or KSM137 mics to mike up my hats and ride.
2nd June 2008
Old 2nd June 2008
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
Are there any advantages to going mono? or is the idea that i am going to get one better mic for the same price as the two i suggested?
There are some advantages to going mono (but also advantages of stereo) Mono overheads tend to have a lot of punch and cut through mixes really well. But mostly my suggestion was based on my belief that one great channel of of mono is better than lesser quality stereo.
2nd June 2008
Old 2nd June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digibird View Post
Yes, +1 on the KELs - you can't do better for the money.
The kel's rock. You can't do better but you could do different with CAD M179's. Those are a bit more, in the $180ea range vs the $130ea for the kels
2nd June 2008
Old 2nd June 2008
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to Ubu4him
what about the Karma K 35's i have had my heart set on these things for the longest time and was wondering if anyone else had any opinion on these. here is the link, people seem to love them and all of karmas products.

Karma Audio - K35
2nd June 2008
Old 2nd June 2008
Lives for gear

3rd June 2008
Old 3rd June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok i'm looking to buy a pair LDC's for my drum over heads, probably at max $150 ea and an interface to go with it that has useable pres but isnt more than around $250.

OH's:

My Ideas so far are a pair of AT2020's or a pair of SP B1's? any better ideas? or if these are both good choices maybe point me in the direction of which would be better.

Interface:

I'm using windows, and USB 2.0. I was thinking maybe an M-Audio Fast Track Pro? Any new ideas would be great.

Thanx in Advance
I did not like the B1's for overheads. Part of my problem was that they did not have a pad. Usable mics for sure, but they did not work for my overhead application.

Wound up with Oktava 012's

My band is R. Mutt

Selling LynxTWO-C PCI based 6in/2out 96/192K Card with Breakout Cables
GSF
3rd June 2008
Old 3rd June 2008
GSF
Gear addict

I recently did a recording where we used MCA SP1's as overheads and it actually came out pretty good.
JBR
6th June 2008
Old 6th June 2008
Gear interested

Thanx for all the brilliant info guys! I've decide i'll save until i can afford a pair of the shure's for the OH. Then I'll probably go with a Lacie firewire card and a presonas firepod

*edit* bit off topic but does anyone have any experience with the Avantone CV-12 for vocals?
6th June 2008
Old 6th June 2008
Gear Head

you wont be sorry with a pair of oktava mk-12s , and thats coming from a drummer ( russian , not chinese )

supreb overhead for the price
6th June 2008
Old 6th June 2008
Gear interested

get a pair of KEL Audio HM-1 They are great!
JBR
6th June 2008
Old 6th June 2008
Gear interested

OK maybe I will get the Kels lol. I'm going to find some sound clips of all of these to compare hopefully so i don't make any mistakes.

And one last question on the interface. is it possible to get one that maybe only has 4 mic pres? because i dont really need 8 atm and i can get more later when i upgrade. I just want to not break the bank too badly if i dont have to.
Does anyone have any experience with this alesis? Alesis IO-14 14-Input 24/192K FW Audio Interface*-* Firewire*-* Audio Interfaces/Recording Systems*-* Studio & Recording*-* PSSL.com
6th June 2008
Old 6th June 2008
Gear maniac

Gefell M71s are my LDC choice for overheads. I've picked up a pair for $250. Into a ISA428 and onto the AKAI DPS24. Other mics I've used as OHs in the past are Gefell M70s although I mostly use SM81s, they always work. I've picked them up real cheap too. The old gefell stuff is amazing for the price though. Wouldnt really recommend the Oktava Mk-012s although I regularly use them on rack toms.
7th June 2008
Old 7th June 2008
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

i picked up a pair of AT2020's for OH. theyre pretty sweet for the price. very clean sounding.
7th June 2008
Old 7th June 2008
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:

OH's:

Interface:

Thanx in Advance
check out the KSM 137. Not Great but good for oh and cheap$$$$$
better than rodeo or AT etc...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search