Great Mixing consoles?
Old 19th May 2008
Gear nut

Great Mixing consoles?

Currently I have a Mackie Onyx 1220 Mixer. It's ok, but very limited in nature. I'm currently trying to get away from Mackie considering I hear there's other stuff with better preamps ect ect. So with that said, can anyone recommend some good, not heavily priced analog consoles? 16 Channels will do for now, but if it's expandable, or even starts at 24 channel, then that'll be fine. At the moment, I wont need anything more than that. I also prefer a console with an out on each channel.

Just so you know also, I got the Onyx 1220 with the Firewire, so if the mixer also comes with an interface solution that'd also be helpful. If not, I'll just stick with getting the RME Fireface 800.
Old 19th May 2008
Gear Head

Maybe Soundcraft?
Old 19th May 2008
Gear Guru

I'd be checking out the D&R line.

D&R Broadcast Mixing Consoles

Check out the Vision and OrionX

Especially if you're in Europe. In the US, the dollar has taken such a hit that the Euro consoles are getting pretty pricey now.
Old 20th May 2008
Gear nut

I think Consoles in the home studio are on thier way out. Think about building up an api 500 series lunchbox and use a control surface for mixing, they are getting cheaper everyday. And then you can get a kewl summing device like the Shadow Hills Dual Gamma (These are expensive, I'm just using it for example) to add console coloration on the output.
Old 20th May 2008
I'd avoid a mixer in a home studio environment. Get a solid front end, solid software, great monitors and room treatment and go for it.

Heck, get a ProTools LE system, a Great River preamp, an Apogee AD/DA, some Dynaudios of Focal monitors, and some hot plugins and you're set.
Old 20th May 2008
Gear nut

Well I'm I got one thing on that list, just got in a pair of Dynaudio BM15A's. The next big investment is the RME 800 and then the Great River. Afterwards is the Nueman TLM 103 (though I did see the TLM 49 which is a larger diaphragm version, but what was told to me is if you're gona spend that much, might as well get a UM 87). Personally, I fell in love with the 103 when I heard it through a great river.

Anyway, one reason why I was considering another mixer in the first place was:
*AUX mix and AUX sends
*Sum to Mono checking
*Patchbay implementation (unless it's not neccessary which something telling me is it isn't)
*Onboard analog mix processing
*EQ's (depending on how good and their character)

BTW I'm a Nuendo guy but eventually I'll put "a little" in to getting the 002 mabe...though I already have an M-BOX
Old 20th May 2008
Gear nut

Congrats on your BM15s!! I love the crap out of those things.
Old 20th May 2008
Gear maniac

If a console/mixer helps and supports your workflow, then by all means go for it. After a point, all the focus on gear becomes mostly relative IMO, especially in a home studio, and I strongly believe that whatever setup feels the most comfortable will ultimately produce the best sonic and musical results.
Old 20th May 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanskyler View Post
Congrats on your BM15s!! I love the crap out of those things.
Thanks man! I just tried mixing on them tonight. Definatly alot different from my KRK 5's or Event 5's lol. It's gona take some time to get used to, not so much on the top end but on the lows since their such big speakers. A bit of a learning curve but I think I did ok with my mix tonight. I'll be able to find out in the morning lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbam
If a console/mixer helps and supports your workflow, then by all means go for it. After a point, all the focus on gear becomes mostly relative IMO, especially in a home studio, and I strongly believe that whatever setup feels the most comfortable will ultimately produce the best sonic and musical results.
Well in all honesty, I'd rather not get one if I don't need to. If I can successfully get the first three with out it, that'd be great. I'll just spend the money on channel strips and an API 500 Lunchbox set (after the other stuff of course lol).
Old 20th May 2008
Lives for gear

logic 5
Old 22nd May 2008
Lives for gear

Just keep checking the classified's on this board and other audio boards like "tapeop" as well as "ebay" and your local "Craigslist". When something pops up that's in you price range and most likely your area since shipping can cost you, then do some quick research on it. Chances are there is a thread or comment about that brand/model already that you can search for to see about further interest.
Old 22nd May 2008
Gear Guru

There's a CAD console in the Classifieds with something like 72 inputs for around 2-3k. Serious console if you can deal with the maintainence issues and the electrical consumption and heat it puts off.
Old 23rd May 2008
Lives for gear

I love analog consoles and cringe at the thought of not having one. The trick with analog consoles is to do lot of research about what the options are and then be patient and watch ebay, craigs list, GS classifieds etc. There are amazing deals out there if you know where to find them.
Old 25th May 2008
Gear nut

Its funny - in my thread about mixers from a couple weeks ago, the first few posts were from people telling me not to get a mixer too. I decided to get one anyway because I got 24 channels of decent pre and eq for $750 (shipped!). Will I use them all? Not yet. But I will eventually. I have 16 channels of I/O - why only get 8 channels from an onyx or spend $3k on 16 channels of pre for a project studio? At least this way I COULD use all 16.

The boards I was considering were a Soundcraft 400B or 600B, a Soundtracs Topaz Project 8, a Mackie 8 bus, and a board from a company called Aries (some english trident rip off, best I can tell). I checked out some of the recommendations made on here (Amek, D&R, SC Ghost), but found that most of them were out of my price range (below $1000, preferably).

I ended up going for the Soundtracs for a couple reasons. First, the reviews I read about it and the posts in other forums, spoke really highly of the preamps and EQ it offers. "Musical", "Useable", and "Solid" were often used in descriptions. Second, every channel has a direct out, which was a requirement for me as well. I also really liked the form factor of this board - it's not a 200lb behemoth that'll clog up my whole room.

The only real drawback for me was that it's not modular - if a channel goes out, it's out. And the only guy who seems to really know these boards lives in England, so it'd probably be cheaper to buy another one.

A lot of reviews compared it to the Mackie's, but suggested that this is a better value. The 24 channel 8 bus with a meter bridge is still coming in at around $1500, which is a bit more than I wanted to spend. With the soundtracs at $750 (shipped!!!) I can still spend another $750 on a good preamp, have 1 or 2 channels of sweet signal and 24 more channels of pretty good sound. Or I could buy a decent mic (or two).

A couple tips for your search:
1) Site search google for craigslist postings, ie "site:*************** soundcraft 400". It'll pull ads from ALL craigslist. Make sure you check the dates though, some of the ad's might be OLD. If you're willing to pay some shipping, this opens up your possibility a ton.
2) Post wanted ads on your local craigslist. I did and got a couple responses - nothing I wanted, but you might have more luck.
3) gearorphange.com has some good boards, but they're over priced. That's where i found that Aries board (which I think he still has. Sounds nice, just not what I was looking for).

Good luck, and be sure to keep us posted about your decision!
Old 27th May 2008
Gear nut

Thanks guys. I'll look around and see what will suit me.
Old 13th July 2008
Gear nut

I "grew up" digital and in the box. I remember the day the 2" machine left the studio where I developed a great deal of the little knowledge I currently have.

I keep tracking and mixing ITB and it gets better every time but the last big project I did was a band tracked live and together in one room to pro tools and then we mixed on an old Otari Concept 54. There is definitely something to a console.

I'm really interested to see how close a summing box gets.

My mentor, Dave Bjornson, just bought an Euphonix CS2000. I'm dying to use it! And, btw, the Otari is probably gonna go up for sale since the Euphonix came. I'd recommend it. Search for Dave on here and e-mail him if interested.

The other thing that rocks about consoles is you not only get the summing, but all of the pres and eq's thrown in there as well. I'm used to outboard world but when you need quantity, they deliver. Plus, summing is helpful intracking situations too. "Hey, we need another pre for the fourth oddball mic that we're putting down the hallway for the drums, oh and it needs some eq too. just mix them down to one track, cause we're out of inputs on the converter" Bam, console solves problem.

carl
Old 14th July 2008
Lives for gear

by the time you buy a 24 channel control surface, 24 channels of good pres, a sound card with 24 inputs/outputs and a half decent summing box, monitor controler with talkback....

you can easily afford a half decent-quite good mixer, 24 i/o sound card and still have change left over for a sweet 2 channel AD for recording your 2 track back to your computer.

that and you have a dedicated knob or fader for every function that you need. IMO, nothing beats that
Old 14th July 2008
Gear interested

I have to disagree about NOT getting a analog console. You do need to focus on your A/D and D/A but a console is what can set your studio apart from other smaller home studios if your trying to bring in some cash.

I used to be in your kind of situation. I used to do Alot of what I now call demo's with my older studio gear. I did lots of research and found a ccnsole that worked for my needs. I ended up finding a nice 32 channel 8 bus Soundtracs console for $575 clams. I had to drive 19hrs round trip to pick it up but it was well worth it and it was a nice drive...

Anyway since getting the console the impact it has had on my overall sound quality has been huge. my recordings are no longer sterile, but sound fat and warm.

I would reccomend getting a Lunchbox to have. You can always keep adding to your line up as you dont need to fill it up all at once. I reccomend Sytek pres as well. You can get 4 very nice quality pres for under a grand.

Last but not least... If your looking to spend money on a 103, dont. IMO they are overpriced. Look at the Mojava Audio MA200. THEY ARE SWEET!

thats my two cents anyway..

make sure you check out ebay listings by area closest to you, and dont forget craigslist...

goodluck
Old 14th July 2008
Lives for gear

Don't waste your money on a console.
Get a good controller for your DAW.

Nuendo Rocks. No need to switch.
Old 14th July 2008
The Audio Whisperer

Mackie makes a good controller.

There's even cheap behringer options (doesn't affect sound, it's just a controller after all)
Old 16th July 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.dizzle View Post
I'm really interested to see how close a summing box gets.
If the Neve summer that i've played on is anything to go uy - they don't compare at all. It did help a little with ironing out the peaks, but i couldn't say that i preferred it to the ITB sound, really.

A desk, OTOH, is all about workflow - i can't really stand control surfaces very much - i find them so slow in comparison to a desk.
They do get better if you turn off the screen though!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search