New Reply
Subscribe
conguero
3rd May 2008
Old 3rd May 2008
Gear maniac

Mbox 1 and MIDI

Hi Guys,

I have been working with digital performer for about 6 years now and just until recently (3 years ago) purchased an mbox 1 just to be able to transfer stuff to PT and I have'nt had to yet. I thought about selling it but I will never get anywhere close to what I paid for it. I saw a friend of mine record drums with a Vdrum set into protools via MIDI and the midi was instantly converted to individual wave files and the drum samples sounded awsome. I also use a Vdrum set and would love to use this tool and then import the tracks into DP. The only thing is my mbox has no midi ins or outs. The question is (finally!) Is it possible to record or do midi in PT with my mbox 1? Do I need an adapter of some sort?
Thanx........
4th May 2008
Old 4th May 2008
Gear addict

Short answer: No

Because the M Box 1 has no MIDI ports, you can not record MIDI into ProTools unless you use something else, like your sound card maybe, to record the MIDI information. You can record the audio from the v kit, but not the MIDI, with the M Box 1.

I don't understand how your friend could use a MIDI port to record audio. Are you sure he was doing what you think he did? Maybe he was triggering a software sampler and recording the audio. MIDI is not audio and can't be "converted" into audio.
4th May 2008
Old 4th May 2008
Gear maniac

exactly, He was using a drum program that rercords midi and simultaniously converts the midi to audio. It's great! So I would need a pci midi card in my pc and protools would accept it with no problem?
5th May 2008
Old 5th May 2008
Gear addict

I don't think they make a PCI MIDI interface that just does MIDI (they usually do audio too). I might be wrong though.

What I was talking about before was a break out cord that plugs into the game port of your sound card. I haven't seen one in years, though.

A USB MIDI interface would be more usefull in the long run. The M-Audio MIDIsport is less than $100. It has 2 in and 2 out in addidion to the USB. The MOTU Micro Lite is about $130, but it has 5 in and out with USB. Some controllers have a MIDI interface that you can use also, like the Behringer BCF2000 or BCR2000. I recomend either of them if you're looking for a controller also. You can also get a MIDI to USB cord that has MIDI connectors on one end and a USB plug on the other.

You can also find cheap MIDI interfaces on Ebay that use the sierial port of your computer, but I don't think ProTools supports those anymore. Besides, the USB models are likely better and more usefull in the long run.

And just so you know, I haven't used the M-Audio or MOTU MIDI interfaces that I mentioned, so I don't know about how well they work. MOTU seems to be well respected.

I use a Digidesign 003, a Behringer BCF2000, and my compouter's sound card for MIDI interfaces. (My sound card has a front bay that has MIDI ports built in. It's a Sound Blaster X-Fi and cost me $200 about two years ago.) ProTools uses all these ports just fine. The trick is keeping track of where all the MIDI messages are going.

Well, I hope I could help and didn't bore you.
conguero
5th May 2008
Old 5th May 2008
Gear maniac

It's off to ebay to get a motu fastlane. Thanks for the info!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search