Old 3rd May 2008
Lives for gear

Making Samples

What's the procedure for making decent drum samples?

I recently tried to create my own kick and snare samples so that when I used them as re-enforcement they wouldn't sound out of place but something funny happened.

I trimmed the hit I wanted from as close to the beginning of the waveform as possible to the end of the decay but when I tried to use it it sounded like I'd chopped in half-way through. When I used a commercial sample in the same way it sounded fine.
Old 3rd May 2008
Gear addict

Depends what replacement program you're using, but I use drum-a-gog, and I'll let you know how I make mine:

-I mic up the drum the best way possible, as many mics as it takes. (this isn't how I normally mic up the drums for tracking, just for sampling)
-Hit the record button, hit the drum really hard to make it nice and clear.
-Trim the hit down like you said, as best as possible.
-File>Export Audio Mixdown
-I save mine as a .wmv file.
-Open up Drum-a-gog.
-The second tab I think, I forget the name, but it's where it lets you create samples.
-Open up the sample you just created as a .wmv file.
Then press save, and it should save as a .gog file.

This is all from memory, but I'm pretty sure it's right on.

-Good Luck!
Old 4th May 2008
Lives for gear

It is all about layering, tuning, and blending things together in just the right way. Mix your drums like you would a track.. and don't forget...experiment

it takes lots of practice..ive been doing it for about 7 years now
Old 4th May 2008
Lives for gear

So are there no specific pointers about trimming the sample for use?

In Logic:
I'm taking my kick track, creating a Groove Template, and then using it to trigger samples with the EXS24.

When I use a commercial sample it sounds fine but when I use mine it sounds like it's cutting in halfway through the waveform - when my sample doesn't.
Old 4th May 2008
Gear addict

no guidelines really, should be fine if you just trim to the beginning of the hit and let a good amount of decay out, then export the clip from the start of the hit to the end of the decay, save it as a wav file and load it into your sampler.

maybe its something to do with attack times on the sampler or it not loading quick enough? that doesnt sound right though, as you said normal commercial samples play fine. ive not used the exs24 but what youve done sounds fine, so id be looking for problems with the sampler if you did what you said. have you tried any other software?
Old 5th May 2008
Lives for gear

be sure wherever your cutting the sample is exporting only that region for later sampling use

i make samples in Pro tools, i highlight only the region (sample) i'm using to export,.. i've had problems in the past with the bounce if you don't specify JUST that hit.
Old 5th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadden Heart View Post
be sure wherever your cutting the sample is exporting only that region for later sampling use

i make samples in Pro tools, i highlight only the region (sample) i'm using to export,.. i've had problems in the past with the bounce if you don't specify JUST that hit.
also as a tip if you are using a lot of plugins - some of them are emitting sound. you may not be able to hear this sound! for example, an extremely low hum or very high pitched whine - or even extremely low volumed noise. if you export drums with these, the samples will "click" at the end of the exported clip. a way around this is to automate the volume of the 2buss so that it hits zero before the end of the clip!
Old 5th May 2008
Lives for gear

thanks for the tips guys.

I'll try it again
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search