Deleted User
23rd February 2008
Old 23rd February 2008
Deleted User

kel audio?

has anyone used the kel audio mics. they have been advertised on here are they any good?
23rd February 2008
Old 23rd February 2008
Lives for gear

Love the HM-1. Its getting pretty regular use. Its not hyped, like most other low-budget condensors.
23rd February 2008
Old 23rd February 2008
Gear Guru

Got a pair of HM-1s. Great mics. They are more of a wide cardioid patten, so they end up getting used as spaced-pair mics when used together.

-tINY

23rd February 2008
Old 23rd February 2008
Lives for gear

I love my HM-1 as OH'S .
24th February 2008
Old 24th February 2008
Gear nut

I have the HM-1s and love them on Drums and also things like Violins and Mando.
I also have the HM2d and it is an EXCELLENT vocal mic as well as a wonderful single Mic setup for acoustic guitar.
If I had the funds I'd pick up 2 more to try out on Drums.
They have more mids and low end than the HM-1 but still have a sweet upper end that plays nice with cymbals.
I am thrilled with their mics! They get a lot of use in my place with acoustic instruments, and now with voice as well.
Deleted User
24th February 2008
Old 24th February 2008
Deleted User

have any of you gotten 2 hm-1s and used them as over heads. how do they sound for that.
24th February 2008
Old 24th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamakid1292 View Post
have any of you gotten 2 hm-1s and used them as over heads. how do they sound for that.
I use 2 as OH'S and love it, they sound full,they are neutral,open in the hi without the harsh sound of some of the inexpensive microphone, i know it's not original as a description,but that's the way i hear it. i even send then a few sample to put on there website, and i'm not affliate it to the company or did i had a rebate to buy those microphone..... but when i hear a good product, who's inexpensive, i like to talk about that product........

Last edited by bigbone; 24th February 2008 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: mispell
26th February 2008
Old 26th February 2008
Lives for gear

I jumped on the bandwagon and bought the HM1s.

They're really that good. They're the closest thing I heard to a neumann km56 for the price. It's really crazy. There's a bit of the classic german sound in it for lack of better description. Plenty of definition and headroom. With a little EQ it can do wonder.

So far they are good on:
- Screaming vocalists
- Quiet vocals
- Drums Overheads
- Guitar cabs
- Acoustic Guitars (need EQ though)
- Outstanding on classic instruments you'd find in an orchestra.

They're OK on bass cabs and toms.
They're bad under the snare.
26th February 2008
Old 26th February 2008
Lives for gear

I have a pair of HM-1s and totally love 'em...especially for drum OHs.

I agree with Tiny that they have a wider cardoid pattern, but I find this works just fine with the "Recorderman" or Glyn Johns type setups.

I find they can smooth overly bright and brash cymbals, and render toms very very well... warm, fat low-mids and mids. Smooth and round is how I would describe them.

I have used them as OHs for tracking hard rock, reggae, and funk/r&b stuff and been quite happy with the results in nearly all cases (though I tend to be pretty easy to please e)

And they are cheap too...at only 129 bucks US each!(but sure don't sound that way) Check 'em out at Kel Audio.
26th February 2008
Old 26th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamakid1292 View Post
has anyone used the kel audio mics. they have been advertised on here are they any good?
I have 4 HM-1's. They are that good. I don't think anyone will be replacing their 87's with them but they are very useful tools. They work well on drums. You may need a pad if you use them on individual drums but not on overheads.

As stated before, they don't have a big top end boost like many less expensive condensers which is why I love them. Much more natural sounding which makes them adaptable to a lot of sources.
26th February 2008
Old 26th February 2008
Gear nut

I jumped on that wagon last week (for the price how could you not). We were jamming the other day and I set up one HM-1 in the room through my interface to Laptop. It sounded suprisingly good and natural. Can't wait to try these suckers on overheads!
27th February 2008
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for beer

Seems like the HM-1 is feeling a lot more love than the HM2d. Why is that?
27th February 2008
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetMC View Post
Seems like the HM-1 is feeling a lot more love than the HM2d. Why is that?

The Hm2 just came out a few months ago
27th February 2008
Old 27th February 2008

Yes only this January in fact -

HM-1 are pretty flat all the way up to 20K with a dip somewhere between 1 and 2 K - They are SDCs

HM-2d deliberately roll off gradually from 12K >> 20K, and 50 Hz downwards - this creates a punchy tight low end and smooth top end. They are voiced more like dynamic mics - (similar to an SM7 apparently)... These are LDCs

Repost of Kelly's description below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelaudio
"The HM-1 is probably the more versatile drum overhead mic of the two. Everyone comments of how smooth they sound. The HM-2D are not as accurate off-axis since they are large diaphragm mics thus won't sound quite a natural and less airy. I recommend the HM-2D for closer micing of individual drums, or for picking up the front of the kit, as well as other hand percussion. (Just recorded an "egg" shaker the other day on a blues track and it sounded great -- full, rather than splashy -- for example.)

Either mic will have the effect of bringing the toms forward relative to the cymbals compared to a lot of other mics so you can achieve a more balanced sound with just a couple of mics."
27th February 2008
Old 27th February 2008
Gear maniac

I just got a pair of HM-1s, so add me to the group singing their praise.
Just a good sounding, won't break the bank microphone.

I got a used set, and they didn't have the shocks, so I emailed Kelly , and he got right back, and they are not on their way.
28th February 2008
Old 28th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinlane View Post
I just got a pair of HM-1s, so add me to the group singing their praise.
Just a good sounding, won't break the bank microphone.

I got a used set, and they didn't have the shocks, so I emailed Kelly , and he got right back, and they are not on their way.
Yeah.... Kelly is awesome eh! Very responsive and approachable. Heck, when I was going to buy my first HM-1, I just happened to be in Winnipeg, and Kelly was going to hand deliver my mic to my hotel room!! He was also going to show me his "new" mics (the P-1s I think) he was working on. Unfortunately circumstances didn't pan out (I had to run to the airport sooner than anticipated) and we never did hook up, but I was always amazed that he would even offer to come to where I was... that's outstanding customer service in my books
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search