Login / Register

ART pro vla II
New Reply
Subscribe
19th August 2008
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Could somebody post some audio examples of the VLA II ?

Cheers!
bManic
27th August 2008
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

?Este es la verdad?

(update: The user LA VERDAD had posts here that have utterly vanished...I wonder if the users request that all their posts be deleted (out of embarassment?) and Jules does that for them. I have seen that a few times. Imagine if I made them delete all my posts! A few percent of the entire database would vanish, leaving all sorts of discussions with gaping holes. )
27th August 2008
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

laverdad exactly what years of those tubes are you talking about? i had gotten nos jan phillips at7s for mine but im not sure i like them. i thought the rubys were pretty good. maybe i have to "burn in" the jans
31st August 2008
Old 31st August 2008
Lives for gear

I just racked up my new VLA II last night. I too have owned the orig VLA for years, and enjoyed it among more expensive comps. I have to say the new VLA II sounds better and is worth the price of admission just for the the visuals- you can visually monitor input level, output level and gain reduction from across the room.. It seems to have better S/N ratio, and the adjustable attack/ release are fantastic. IEC power cable instead of hard wired, much much nicer. It is just so musical, almost everything sounds better going through this box. I put in 2 NOS GE JAN 12AT7WC's and it is very very quiet in terms of hiss/ noise. Another cool thing- I can actually use it to destroy stuff like drum loops, unlike the VLA V1. The adjustable Attack/Release makes for quite the pump now, if you don't want it to be invisible. Very happy. I would say the best bargain in outboard compression, without a doubt, and the II is a clincher- unbelievable bargain.

Evan
1st September 2008
Old 1st September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulusound View Post
I just racked up my new VLA II last night. I too have owned the orig VLA for years, and enjoyed it among more expensive comps. I have to say the new VLA II sounds better and is worth the price of admission just for the the visuals- you can visually monitor input level, output level and gain reduction from across the room.. It seems to have better S/N ratio, and the adjustable attack/ release are fantastic. IEC power cable instead of hard wired, much much nicer. It is just so musical, almost everything sounds better going through this box. I put in 2 NOS GE JAN 12AT7WC's and it is very very quiet in terms of hiss/ noise. Another cool thing- I can actually use it to destroy stuff like drum loops, unlike the VLA V1. The adjustable Attack/Release makes for quite the pump now, if you don't want it to be invisible. Very happy. I would say the best bargain in outboard compression, without a doubt, and the II is a clincher- unbelievable bargain.

Evan
Evan,
I'm curious to know if you've been able to put the VLAII next to the VLA and duplicate VLA settings and get them to sound the same. I really like the attack/release times on the VLA and it would be a bummer if the same characteristics can't be duplicated with the VLAII.
Three international #1 hit radio singles
Me: www.vonpimpenstein.com | Studio: www.feistychicken.com | Facebook: www.facebook.com/chriscarterproducer
MIX RATES: Standard major label $700, Standard indie/unsigned $299(temporary price from $550), Promo $49-$99
2nd September 2008
Old 2nd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
Evan,
I'm curious to know if you've been able to put the VLAII next to the VLA and duplicate VLA settings and get them to sound the same. I really like the attack/release times on the VLA and it would be a bummer if the same characteristics can't be duplicated with the VLAII.
Feel free to email me a one minute file and let me know what ratio and amount of db reduction you want. I can do one pass with the VLA and one pass with the VLA 2 and email it back to you (or post it) The VLA II does NOT have auto attack or release rates so a truly empirical test might not be possible.

Evan

espmuse at yahoo.com
30th October 2008
Old 30th October 2008
Gear interested

power

i recently purchased one from the US and i live in Australia does anyone know if you can plug the unit into 240v power instead of 110v or will this fry the unit?

do i need to get a transformer or is it easy to mod the power??
30th October 2008
Old 30th October 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to asagaai
nate_cpower
i recently purchased one from the US and i live in Australia does anyone know if you can plug the unit into 240v power instead of 110v or will this fry the unit?

do i need to get a transformer or is it easy to mod the power??

I bought 2 units recently. At the back is a fuse plug. Pull it out, and then you re-align the fuse plug back in to engage 220V instead of the 110V. No need for transformers- a 10 second job!

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
30th October 2008
Old 30th October 2008
Lives for gear

Bought one just for fun some days ago. It is just silly. The compression quality is simply in a 3-4 times higher price category. Would not doubt to use it on anything that calls for smooth, round & natural compression. Hard to make it sound bad. Wonderful unit, silly low price. Love it.
Rock!
Pat
1st November 2008
Old 1st November 2008
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
nate_cpower

I bought 2 units recently. At the back is a fuse plug. Pull it out, and then you re-align the fuse plug back in to engage 220V instead of the 110V. No need for transformers- a 10 second job!

GJ
Newcastle/OZ

thanks mate good to hear that from another aussie.
11th November 2008
Old 11th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tympanica View Post
hey folks. yesterday I tried the vla 2! and I´m very sorry to tell you that it really disappoints! We ( three studio owners ) plugged it in hoping it will kick our a... after reading so much about it on gs....but soon we thought " is it even on?" We took a joemeek, rnc and rnl against it just to hear again what a low end compressor could / should do. ( the big boys even left untouched ) the art really has absolutely no sound. ( Yes...we found the bypass knob...:-) You can crank it all the way up and see a lot of gain reduktion going on but there is no way to make it pumpin or rockin in a way...the joemeek felt like a 1000 tons tank against that nothing. sorry but just for pure leveling without adding any power I can use my itb stuff! Maybe there are some tasks for it ( 2bus if you don´t want any color on your mix, but why just leave it out then anyway?) I wanted to love it but in the low end market the fmr stuff is just too good or lately art is selling expensive vu meters.
Hmmm, you`re disappointed that you couldn`t hear it? Isn`t ART marketing this to be used as a mastering device? besides tracking? Just curious because I was considering one and the fact that you can NOT hear it sounds like a great unit for me. Unless you`re looking for something a little more boutique...

You don`t need any more gear, you need to re-write the chorus.
12th November 2008
Old 12th November 2008
Lives for gear

Exactly, it isn´t weak because it sounds "invisible" at normal settings. It´s a certain type of compressor, the invisible type, and it performs excellent within that category. It´s not a VCA tightener or a FET slammer, it is excellent for putting it after the micpre to level out the signal beautifully without sounding obviously compressed. Really good as the first stage of compression. Follow the VLAII with your favourite character-pig in mixdown and be happy...
Rock!
Pat
25th November 2008
Old 25th November 2008
Gear interested

Wow! Lame! I read through 9 months of posts to hear the A/B test (or any audio sample for that matter!!). Oh well....I've heard enough good things about it that I think I'll buy it and switch the tubes out. I may even buy 2....1) I'll put in a matched pair of those JAN/Phillips 12AT7s Peeder's been raving about and use it for mastering.
2) I'll throw in a JJ Tesla 12AX7 in one channel and toss a JJecc803s (or the Mullard) in the other channel to get some variation.
25th November 2008
Old 25th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilgot5 View Post
Wow! Lame! I read through 9 months of posts to hear the A/B test (or any audio sample for that matter!!). Oh well....I've heard enough good things about it that I think I'll buy it and switch the tubes out. I may even buy 2....1) I'll put in a matched pair of those JAN/Phillips 12AT7s Peeder's been raving about and use it for mastering.
2) I'll throw in a JJ Tesla 12AX7 in one channel and toss a JJecc803s (or the Mullard) in the other channel to get some variation.
Why do people always feel the need to mod gear that they've never heard??!!??!!!?!?!?!?!!??!???!!!????!?!?!??
25th November 2008
Old 25th November 2008
Gear interested

Because I have to Tube MP (I'm sure it comes with the same Chinese 12AX7s) and a crappy tube is a crappy tube period
25th November 2008
Old 25th November 2008
Gear Head

peer pressure is a byatch

just ordered a vla II and a couple of jj telsa tubes.

the mpa gold pleasantly surprised me with tung-sols, so i cant wait to try this compressor out, hopefully it should compliment the dbx 166 blackface i have.
25th November 2008
Old 25th November 2008
Lives for gear

Just a note all I have ever tested is the Chinese VLA I with stock (Sovtek) and JAN Philips tubes...I don't know anything about the VLA II...
26th November 2008
Old 26th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because I have to Tube MP (I'm sure it comes with the same Chinese 12AX7s) and a crappy tube is a crappy tube period
Neither the VLA nor the VLAII have a 12ax7. They both use 12at7 tubes (the early american VLAs used a 12ax7). As well, I might point out that the Tube MP is a completely different product than the VLA or VLAII. Just FYI. So you are talking about wanting to mod a piece of gear that you've never actually heard so that you can replace an inferior component that doesn't even exist in the box in the first place. Nice.....thumbsup

BTW - I own a Tube MP that I haven't used in years because it sucks. I also have a VLA that gets used on nearly ever record because it rocks. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with modding any piece of gear. But I find it absolutely crazy that people here (why they all seem to congregate on GS as opposed to other forums, I will never know) who insist on modding something they've never heard and never used with basically no basis whatsoever (or innacurate basis!!) is striking.
26th November 2008
Old 26th November 2008
Gear addict

some say the comp has color, others say its so clean you can barely hear it! it's also been stated these comps rock on bass! doesnt bass prefer some hair (color)from compression?.....which one is it?
26th November 2008
Old 26th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
Just a note all I have ever tested is the VLA I with stock (Sovtek) and JAN Philips tubes...I don't know anything about the VLA II...
I haven't either (in that unit) but I have both of those tubes in my collection and the Phillips perform better in pretty much every aspect. Granted, they aren't the sexiest 12AT7s ever made, not even close, but they are built extremely well and cost next to nothing.
26th November 2008
Old 26th November 2008
Gear interested

Actually did mean to say 12AT7 (sorry...I'm first and foremost a guitar player, so 12AX7 has been my only preamp tube vocabulary for years). If I decide to upgrade tubes in a cheap&#@ product I buy what would it matter to you? As if I'm going to order this unit just to "mod" it. It's not like I'm going to purchase the product immediately crack open the case and stuff "12AX7" tubes in it and call it good. I purchased the Tube MP because it was tube.....I needed my first 48v phantom powered pre....it was THIRTY &%$#ing dollars. I used it for a couple weeks and I hated it! It was noisy...it was dull and I couldn't afford a good pre. So....I did some research on here and found the Black Lion mod directions for it. I didn't want to F around with soldering a bunch of new caps in it so I just replaced the tube with a JJ Tesla 12AX7 instead and that made a huge difference...it's 10X more quiet than before and a lot better high end response, somewhat usable now. At one point in my life I was unable to afford a decent guitar. I picked up a Mexican Strat at a pawnshop fully knowing I might have to put in some new pickups in it. Slapped some Seymours in there and it didn't sound like a Mexican strat anymore....didn't sound like an American either, but it sounded better. Thank you for being so quick to judge
26th November 2008
Old 26th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
But I find it absolutely crazy that people here (why they all seem to congregate on GS as opposed to other forums, I will never know) who insist on modding something they've never heard and never used with basically no basis whatsoever (or innacurate basis!!) is striking.
Slamming on Gearslutz members for wanting better sound, how original...
There's a few components that will, generally, sound "better". They're no brainers. Better cables, minimal signal paths, better tubes, etc, etc. Unless you like smeared, muddy, unresponsive, harsh, bandwith-limited sound, then getting rid of the stock Russian tube will make it "better". You may find it "crazy" but added detail, dynamics, and responsiveness are rarely bad. No need to jump all over the guy.

Some may say I'm biased because I sell tubes but, for those interested, go to the "Shootout" section and check out Johan's (World Studios) thread featuring tube comparisons in a CL1B. You can hear a common "stock" Russian tube in an honest comparison with various others. Some modern, some vintage. Those differences will be there, no matter what gear you put them in. I will say that the CL1B doesn't show as dramatic a difference as most gear but it is evident none-the-less.
26th November 2008
Old 26th November 2008
Gear interested

Thanks Bowie! Oh and FYI for those interested in this product it is actually 12AX7 tubes in the VLA II. At least according to my souce....the poor man's boutique of EZ payment plans AMS

ART Pro VLA II Tube Compressor at AmericanMusical.com

That's not to say their info isn't wrong though.
26th November 2008
Old 26th November 2008
Lives for gear

Bowie, I think you may have misread my post. I specifically said there was nothing wrong with modding gear to make it sound better. My point was that I found it silly for people in general to decide to mod gear that they had never heard and never used. That simply makes no sense. Now, if someone wants to mod a piece of gear after actually using it and hearing it, that's entirely different. But it's nuts for someone who has never used or heard a piece of gear to declare that they must mod it in some certain way before they do anything else is downright silly. How do you know it needs a new tube if you don't hear the one that's already in it? The conversation just got downright silly (to me... maybe you are different) to justify a pre-listen/pre-use modification of a tube replacement based on a totally different piece of gear (a preamp as opposed to an optical compressor) that uses a different tube (12ax7 in the pre and 12at7 in the compressor). To me that's like saying "this rock song needs more high end" and cranking 12k on it before even hearing it because a rap song needed more 12k.

My point is only this, and I do apologize if I came off too harsh (yes, I did come off too harsh): People should actually listen to a piece of gear with their own ears and use it BEFORE they decide to mod it or how to mod it. For some reason I always run into these folks on GS and almost never on PSW.
26th November 2008
Old 26th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Bowie! Oh and FYI for those interested in this product it is actually 12AX7 tubes in the VLA II. At least according to my souce....the poor man's boutique of EZ payment plans AMS

ART Pro VLA II Tube Compressor at AmericanMusical.com

That's not to say their info isn't wrong though.
Sorry Dvilgot, I think you've been misled. It uses a 12at7.
26th November 2008
Old 26th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
My point is only this, and I do apologize if I came off too harsh (yes, I did come off too harsh): People should actually listen to a piece of gear with their own ears and use it BEFORE they decide to mod it or how to mod it.
Yea, it was a bit harsh toward devilgot5 but I think your follow-up was very cool and I appreciate seeing this not turn into an internet argument. And, I do very much agree with the last part of the above quote.
26th November 2008
Old 26th November 2008
Lives for gear

For a guy like me, with a home studio would you thing the ART pro vla and the
ART MPA Gold Microphone Preamplifier for running my $200 microphones and $1000 guitars? Couple of vintage digital synths also...

Id want to use this into my Projectmix, also a cold sterile digital mixer.
Or should I use waves API, iv used it and own it now for quite a bit.
thanks.
27th November 2008
Old 27th November 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobalou View Post
some say the comp has color, others say its so clean you can barely hear it! it's also been stated these comps rock on bass! doesnt bass prefer some hair (color)from compression?.....which one is it?

anyone care to clarify?
27th November 2008
Old 27th November 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to asagaai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobalou View Post
anyone care to clarify?
I will have a bite.

With low db reduction and slow attack and quick release- it is pretty invisible with a little smoothing/mellowing when tracking say vocals/drum room etc. Very nice on drum room mikes.

If you spank say snare with higher db reduction in mix and faster attack/mid release it can really give some squash and colour and the tube can give the snare a fat arse type thwhaap..Very nice in parallel with say the snare treated with a FET.

With whole mix- I have found there is a definite action -sort of a mellowing and treaclkle type of thickening with a slight pillowing due to tubes? - Would be real good for a mellow type sound- so yeah- I think over mix is a real colour- I would avoid more than a few db reduction of mix- cause otherwise it sorta sounds too smooth and lazy and a little flabby.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Gear interested

im going to buy one !
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search