Bill Me Later,Sweetwater All Access Platinum Card or Credit Card? Use One?
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Taking Down your Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumkideric View Post
I use the Sweetwater card quite a bit when there is No interest No Payments for a year. That is a great deal.
Toyota gave me the same deal on my work truck, an 09 Tacoma. Zero percent for 36 months. I put a hefty chunk down, and paid off the rest at no interest. I own it as of this Jan.
Not all debt is bad, but you have to be cautious. I still owe like 100k on my mortgage, though I'll save more than that with a refi to a fifteen year on a lower rate.
These are effectively bank loans though; you pay crazy interest on most cards and the adjusted rate is usually 20% or more after the interim period. You can transfer balances to a new card and new rate but that's a shell game.

You have to have a plan to pay off the debt, and you have to stick to it.

I work like mad to pay the mortgage every month and ditto when I was paying off the truck.

Don't risk screwing up your credit; save up and buy only when the time and the deal favors you. The slutz have spoken firmly in agreement. Don't be afraid to ask advice of your folks or CPA or uncle or whatever either.

Btw, I have a wholesale dealer account for pro audio so I usually get 30% below retail. Thats the way to play. I'm in AV design / install, not mixing. This way I get access to more toys.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbohn View Post
Don't get into debt over it. Also, and more importantly IMO, don't use "Bill M e Later". It is a massive credit killer. Like you'll probably frop 100-200 points immediately. Bad idea!
I've noticed lately that my credit scores have dropped a bit and I couldn't fathom why. But i have used Bill Me Later. Why does it ding your credit?
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubivore View Post
everything i've read about bill me later makes it sound like a scam. just google it up and you'll find plenty of horror stories.
I've used Bill Me Later on several occasions and I've never had a problem with it. I have always paid on time and I've haven't paid any interest on my purchases. If they want to lend me money at no cost to me, I'll take it every time.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Taking Down your Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymio View Post
I've noticed lately that my credit scores have dropped a bit and I couldn't fathom why. But i have used Bill Me Later. Why does it ding your credit?
If they ran a credit check, that could have done it.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear Head

I've used the EZ pay thing at american musical several times, and it's really the only I way I can swing even modest gear purchases. But you have to look at it like a monthly bill like your electric bill or gas bill. It's worth it to me to not have cable/satellite, because I'd rather be spending the time I'd be watching TV trying to figure out this whole home recording thing anyway.

When you buy a car, you figure out what payment you can afford and find one that fits into that budget with the credit terms you're comfortable with. For me I know I can spend $80-$100/month on gear, and the payment plans are zero interest. If it's true they run a credit check for the 5 installments I'd avoid that like the plague.

Sometimes you just need the gear NOW, and want to enjoy using it while you pay for it...the only difference between saving up for it and using a payment plan is that you get the gear at the start of saving up for it instead of at the end. Just make sure you can really swing the monthly payment.

Credit cards are the fool's move of personal finance. Great for a serious emergency, but putting hobby stuff on is just a bad idea. If this is a business, of course it's a different story.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
One of the major factors in calculating credit scores is the ratio between your available credit (the combined total of all your cards' credit limits, etc.) and your debt (the amount you have charged to those accounts). The lower your debt is in relation to your available credit, the better - so it's advantageous, for example, to open no-fee credit cards and never use them, or only use them enough to keep the account open.

I would think that a Bill Me Later type of service not only adds to the debt side, but increases debt without adding to the available credit side (there is no "headroom" in the account).
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Credit scoring is a proprietary formula so it's hard to say what factors they use to score your credit, but possibly they deduct points for "high risk" credit transactions on the theory that you may be a higher risk.

Sometimes I wonder if credit scores reflect risk assessment or reflect how much you let creditors in your pocket. If they disclosed their credit scoring formulas, then everybody could see if it was entirely risk based or included a sucker factor.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

I've used Sweetwater, MF and Bill Me later. Bill Me later has given me problems..like charging me interest immediately instead of the 6 months same as cash. I called them...they said they'd look into it...no response after that. Emailed them...no response. Also BML has a funky accounting lookup online. It's sometimes hard to see what and when you're charged without going through several menus, instead of seeing the complete statement at once. I won't use them again. I've had no problem with Sweetwater or MF.
L.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear addict

Gotta chime in here and say the American Musical Supply 3-easy pay plan is the way to go. No interest. Just prepare ahead for each month when you will get the automatic payment deducted from your check card or whatever, and you're golden.

That is how I built my entire home studio, basically... except the computers.

Between $250 and $1000 they don't do the credit check, but over $1000, they do (then it turns into the 5-payment plan).

In my opinion, I think it's totally worth it. As another member said, sometimes you just need the gear NOW as you pay for it.

Over the last four years, I've spent about $20,000 with AMS (and its sister site, Zzounds) at least... Sonor Safari bop kit, drum triggers, NI Maschine, Korg Padkontrol, Fender jazz bass, lefty Gibson Les Paul, lefty Gibson SG, Akai APC40, cymbals, drumheads, sticks, strings, mics...

About $5k a year... I realize that's a lot, but... ultimately, I know some people who spend a LOT more on gear.... and do nothing with it.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear maniac

With the broken record: I don't recommend debt for gear

That being said, I have done it (more than I'd like to admit) in building my small business since start up loans are either at too high an interest rate (due to lack of structured credit such as leases, mortgage, etc.) or just aren't available for my revenue level.

Most of my credit is through VISA/MasterCard through Bank of America, although I have used BML off and on. I can say I have a great credit score, so as long as you aren't opening many accounts within the same year, keeping balances higher than 33% of your limit, and other factors, you can be ok. Keeping cards open with a $0 balance (I mean not using it, not to be confused with paying it off regularly) isn't actually good for your credit score according to most sources.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

I'm glad that some of you guys are not my accountants.

Bill me Later, Capitol One and dozens of other credit services do monthly queires of your credit. It is how they are able to determine if you are meeting all your credit obligations. If you fail even one payment anywhere, they have the option of hiking your interest rate. It's in your credit contract.

Monthly credit queries on revolving credit do not ding your credit that hard. Credit agencies know why they are being done. Having $9000. debt on a $10,000 credit line will on the other hand affect your credit even if you pay on time.

Have a few accidents or tickets. That can hurt your score. Making excessive insurance claims too. Failing to pay your electric bill for 6 months. Agencies are collecting and using more and more information to determine your credit score. Anything that shows that you are at higher risk financialy is going to affect your rating. There are studies that show that people who make multiple insurance claims have a high instance of defaulting on credit. Agencies use this information. So do insurance companies. Your credit score will directly affect what you pay in car insurance.

I have had a 770-790 credit score for almost 20 years and using Bill Me Later, Capitol One or anything else doesn't make that much of a difference. A balance of debt to credit and history of payment is going to be a bigger contributor to your score.

I use Bill me Later all the time. I have been using it for years and have run about $50k worth of purchases through them. Everything from gear to flowers. There is absolutley nothing wrong with it. If you use it correctly, it's free money. Don't use it through Sweetwater. There is no grace period. If you can pay the purchase off in 90 days buy through a company such as Vintage King or B&H Photo. They offer 90 days no payments or interest through Bill Me Later. Pay it off in 90 days. Free money.

If you can't pay it off in 90 days, stay far away from Bill Me Later. It is horrible for long term financing. The interest rate is around what a loan shark would charge. I have paid for all my purchases in 90 days and never paid a dime in interest.

Bill Me Later is not a scam. It works just like a credit card. A high interest one. It has a wonderful 90 no pay/no interest hook. If your foolish enough to be iresponsible with it, you wlll pay dearly.

Hearing people say not to use credit for gear in my opinon is hogwash. If my accountant reccomended that to me he would lose my business in a New York minute.

Hobby or Profession. I see no difference. Credit is a tool. You leverage it.

Do you finance your car? Your house? how about that Jet Ski in your garage or the last trip to the Bahamas? You finance all of this. If the gear is for business. Great. Take the deduction and purchase it if it's going to help increase your bottom line. If it is for pleasure and you can afford the payment. You make a compromise. It's no different then saving to pay cash for a new car while you drive your beater around or financing the shiny new one because you can afford the interest and you want instant gradification.

I hear so many people complain because they were late on a payment and their interest rate was jacked up. It's a contract. You are responsible to honor it down to the dollar. YOU missed the payment. It is clearly spelled out what will happen. Plan ahead before you commit so you can pay your bill online a week before it's due. You have immediate confirmation and a cushion so you are not late with a payment.

If your losing sleep at night because of a financed purchase you made and you have not lost your job or had any other unforseen circumstances, It's because you couldn't afford the purchase and financing in the first place.

Welcome to America.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
I have had a 770-790 credit score for almost 20 years and using Bill Me Later, Capitol One or anything else doesn't make that much of a difference.
For most humans, who may have made mistakes in their pasts or who may not have well established credit, it becomes important to watch and manage hard hits on your credit report. Anyone who has lost a job to the economy or suffered the consequences of a shrinking economy and been unable to meet his obligations for a period of time (emphasis on unable) will back me up on that.

As far as not putting gear on a credit card if it's a hobby: I have a modest budget for my hobby. I do not want my hobby budget eaten up by the high interest rates of credit cards. That's literally throwing money away when there are zero-interest avenues available. If you're going to pay the credit balance off every billing cycle, then really you can afford to drop the cash on the purchase in the first place and the whole credit question is moot.

I sympathize with the OP in this, the low-end forum, because at least for me, the possibility of home recording opens up new creative avenues for my art, and the cost of admission has come down so drastically that it is within reach on some level for us all...and financing makes it that much more available. And if they didn't have options like that, so many of these companies who have their fingers in the home recording market, including the distributors like AMS or guitarcenter, would be struggling much more in this economy if they couldn't provide these services. I love it, and I wish it extended into other markets. I've been wanting to drop $300 on a digital camera for months, but I never have that much cash on hand at any one moment. So I don't buy it, and the camera store loses a sale.

Quote:
I hear so many people complain because they were late on a payment and their interest rate was jacked up. It's a contract. You are responsible to honor it down to the dollar. YOU missed the payment. It is clearly spelled out what will happen. Plan ahead before you commit so you can pay your bill online a week before it's due. You have immediate confirmation and a cushion so you are not late with a payment.
Humans make mistakes, forget things. I'm very happy you're so skilled with your money, and certainly wish I had been better with it in my past. I think the posts of "Don't do it, it's not worth it" should probably be reworded to "Unless you've got a real good reason, I wouldn't give myself the chance to screw up that badly over a mic pre." Your point that there's nothing inherently wrong any of these methods is spot on. You just have to make sure you know what you're getting into...
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

The general problems with credit card debt is (a) people tend to spend more than those who pay cash because it's easier to whip out the plastic than hand over cash; (b) the tendency is spend on items that depreciate in value rather than items that appreciate in value; (c) the borrower is obligated to make monthly payments on the creditor's schedule; (d) if you miss a payment, they can dramatically jack the rate; (e) the borrower is at risk if future events render the borrower unable to make these payments (loss of job, illness, unexpected other expense....).

There are circumstances when leverage can work for you, but leverage can also crush you if it gets out of hand. Until 2008, lots of folks made a lot of money in real estate using leverage--when the market turned, they couldn't pay their debts.

Should a hobbist use credit to buy gear? If the gear depreciates in value or does not generate enough income to pay for itself, the financial answer is no.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear Head

^ What he said.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

For most humans, who may have made mistakes in their pasts or who may not have well established credit, it becomes important to watch and manage hard hits on your credit report. Anyone who has lost a job to the economy or suffered the consequences of a shrinking economy and been unable to meet his obligations for a period of time (emphasis on unable) will back me up on that.

I was involved in a business that went bunkrupt 30 years ago so I am well aware of having a problem with bad credit. There is also nothing super human about 700 credit score. Last time I looked at at some literature it showed around 25% of the population in the 700 or above catergory.

My observations are about the little research some people do before they use credit. How iresponsible they are when they use it and after they default how the blame is shifted to the credit company. The companies are in business to make money. They can be brutal if you give them the oppertunity. These are business contracts. Know what you are doing before you get involved. If you default because of foolishness, take responsibility and move on.

Should a hobbist use credit to buy gear? If the gear depreciates in value or does not generate enough income to pay for itself, the financial answer is no

A hobbyist does not depreciate gear. A business does. There needs to be a distinction made between that. If your in a actual business, you make a business decision by analyzing a business plan. you have a well thought out financial strategy, backed up by an accountant to make sure you leverage the risk/reward. A hobbyist buys gear for pleasure. Unless you are registered with the state, pay taxes and operate within guidelines or file a schedule C as a sole proprietor with the IRS, you are not in business. Just because you charge someone to record them does not make you a business, A hobby is a hobby. You finance it for pleasure which means there is a higher risk, so there needs to be a larger cushion and more conservative financing.

There are circumstances when leverage can work for you, but leverage can also crush you if it gets out of hand. Until 2008, lots of folks made a lot of money in real estate using leverage--when the market turned, they couldn't pay their debts.

That is because of risky investment and overleveraging. Really no differences there and people who over finance gear with the hope they are going to get the same bonus they got last year.
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProToolzLE View Post
Hi fellow gearslutz ok I recently was just approved for a Visa Platinum Card with a credit limit of $1500.00. I also filled out the Sweetwater Musician's All Access Platinum Card and now I'm looking into the bill me later. So my question to you all have you used one of these 3? What kind of purchases did you make and what route you took? Please chime in.
Thank You
This, to me, is an example of a good question to have asked and been discussed instead of jumping in and then finding out by potentially expensive trial and error.

Many folks have no idea how much interest they actually pay when they sign up for at 10% or more loan. Although many lenders are legally required to provide a disclosure of the effective Annual Percentage Rate of interest, they aren't required to provide an amortization schedule that shows how many dollars this really means.

If you're considering borrowing money, it can be helpful to download a spreadsheet template and calculate for yourself what it's going to cost you over the term of the loan. Mortgage amortization schedule - Templates - Office.com
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Lives for gear

Debt is stupid and should be avoided at all costs. If you don't owe money, you are in control of your life. I have made enough mistakes in the past that I am still cleaning up, but have not borrowed a cent in almost 4 years, and won't ever again. No more credit cards, no more car loans, no more anything. I'm happier now than I was when I bought tons of stuff on credit, I can safely say that.

If someone wants to chime in about how simple it stupid I am financially and that I don't get it, go for it. Prove how paying cash, spending less than you make, and saving money to buy things can be bad, aside from having to exercise patience. Observing payment dates, etc, is great, until you lose your job unexpectedly or you have an emergency that diverts your funds. I know, that only happens to other people.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz App
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Lives for gear

Proverbs says "the borrower is servant to the lender." We may not have slavery in the sense that we used to have, but every time you sign a piece of paper promising to pay back money, you've given up that much personal freedom.

I'm not particularlya fan of talk radio host Dave Ramsey, but generally he seems to help people understand how to work their way out of debt.

Another good spreadsheet template to have is some kind of budget. There are several to choose from: Personal budget worksheet - Templates - Office.com

If you don't have Excel on your computer, I suspect the free spreadsheet in Open Office might work.Apache OpenOffice Downloads
There are probably free templates available in Open Office-I just haven't looked.

Having said all this, there were times in the late 70's when people had home loans at relatively low fixed interest rates, and then inflation ran up interest rates and home prices. A lot of farms bit the dust, too. Remember John Cougar Mellencamp's "Scarecrow" CD?

Folks who already bought at low rates and low prices were sitting pretty well, but people who got caught in the high interest rates and runup home prices had a painful experience.

We have historically low interest rates now because the Federal Reserve is holding down rates. Housing prices have fallen. There's a risk that inflation and housing prices may take off again. You've got to have a place to live. Instead of thinking about financing gear, could be wise to be thinking about housing costs. YMMV.
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Gear interested

1. Buy used gear.
2. Live with your parents as long as you can.
3. Put half the money you are saving by having free rent into an IRA.
4. Save the other half and pay cash for your used gear.

For those of us who are not in the postion to live at home anymore - we should be old enough to know better than to accumulate consumer debt.
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Gear interested

All kidding aside...if you take on unecessary debt:

1. What happens if you lose your job?
2. What happens if your car dies?
3. What happens if you are hospitalized and can no longer earn money to pay your debt, and now have insurance deductibles to pay (assuming you have insurance)?

Debt is debt, even at zero interest if paid on time. The more debt you have, the less your ability to borrow when you really need it. DON'T go into debt over gear.
13th May 2012
Old 13th May 2012
serious amateur

Doom, gloom, doom and gloom, gloom and doom. I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go!
13th May 2012
Old 13th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleyaxe View Post
All kidding aside...if you take on unecessary debt:

1. What happens if you lose your job?
2. What happens if your car dies?
3. What happens if you are hospitalized and can no longer earn money to pay your debt, and now have insurance deductibles to pay (assuming you have insurance)?

Debt is debt, even at zero interest if paid on time. The more debt you have, the less your ability to borrow when you really need it. DON'T go into debt over gear.
What happens if you judiciously use your credit to buy great tools, that in turn allow you to get better jobs, therefore you make more money and pay off the debt you incurred, using their money at 0% interest. That's been working here for years. How you look at things and your attitude can really screw you. Fear can paralyze you. There is nothing to fear. If you fall down you get back up. But chances are, if you're smart and professional you won't fall down. Unless of course you keep telling yourself that bad things will happen.
L.
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Gear Head

Your savings are supposed to cushion you in the event of job loss, health trouble, etc. Monthly budget should include a certain amount diverted to savings. Life savings is the thing not to spend on gear. If you can budget a certain amount for gear without cutting into your savings, there should be no issue.

Everyone handles their finances differently. For some people it makes sense to take on a small debt if they are in a financially healthy place otherwise to do so. But yes, life would be better if we could avoid debt altogether. Ideals and practicality often butt heads...especially where art/passion come in.
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Gear maniac

If your card has only a $1500 limit, you can't afford to buy gear with it. Seriously. If you had the means to pay it back, the limit would be considerably higher. Even then it would be dumb to max it out on gear.
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear

Don't go into debt over gear!

I have over 80K invested in my home studio over a 20 year period. I buy things a piece or two at a time. I have NEVER put a piece of gear on a credit card or any financing. If you can't afford it today, then you are not ready for it. Save up and get it when you have the money.

Save up for a few months and get a piece of gear, get a bonus get a peice of gear or two, get a tax return get a piece of gear or two. This is how I built my massive studio at home.

Jim
15th May 2012
Old 15th May 2012
Gear addict
I keep what basically amounts to an escrow account where I put a little money every payday for gear purchases. The wife has a similar account she uses for whatever. We save the credit for emergencies.
15th May 2012
Old 15th May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
Gotta chime in here and say the American Musical Supply 3-easy pay plan is the way to go. No interest. Just prepare ahead for each month when you will get the automatic payment deducted from your check card or whatever, and you're golden.

That is how I built my entire home studio, basically... except the computers.

Between $250 and $1000 they don't do the credit check, but over $1000, they do (then it turns into the 5-payment plan).

In my opinion, I think it's totally worth it. As another member said, sometimes you just need the gear NOW as you pay for it.

Over the last four years, I've spent about $20,000 with AMS (and its sister site, Zzounds) at least... Sonor Safari bop kit, drum triggers, NI Maschine, Korg Padkontrol, Fender jazz bass, lefty Gibson Les Paul, lefty Gibson SG, Akai APC40, cymbals, drumheads, sticks, strings, mics...

About $5k a year... I realize that's a lot, but... ultimately, I know some people who spend a LOT more on gear.... and do nothing with it.
I do this often. Mostly through Zzounds. I'll find an advertised price selling the gear cheaper, and then get them to price match and knock off some more. Got a new Focusrite ISA One for $406 over four payments a while back. I basically keep a revolving bill with them, usually between $100-200 per month payment. I love the service. I even use this payment option even though I usually have all the cash available. It basically keeps me in check and I get some new gear every month or two while knowing what I'll be paying per month, and not paying any interest. If it's under $200 total I'll usually just pay up front though.

Also even if your credit sucks, they allow you to go over the $1000 threshold, you'll just have to pay the amount over $1000 with your first payment.

This is the way to go IMO. Debt is BAD. I declared bankruptcy last year due to a huge amount of credit card debt I build up in my college years that got to a point that it was just too much for me to handle. Minimum payments will do NOTHING, and if you fall in hard times and don't pay for a while, it will soon escalate to an unmanageable amount to pay. Even something as small as $10000 in debt can really screw you down the road.

I've been very good with money for the last three of four years but even old debt will continue to haunt you and keep going up if you don't pay that stuff off quickly.

From now on, the only way I'll ever use credit is to purchase a house, and I really probably won't even do that. Being debt free feels really good, and makes life much less stressful. I spend my energy learning ways to make more money now, and if I can't afford something, I don't buy it.
15th May 2012
Old 15th May 2012
Gear maniac

I should also add I'm self employed and my studio is technically part of my business, so thanks to my accountant, my purchases are a tax write-off for me. They turn into tax free assets in my case.
23rd May 2012
Old 23rd May 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty View Post
If your card has only a $1500 limit, you can't afford to buy gear with it. Seriously. If you had the means to pay it back, the limit would be considerably higher. Even then it would be dumb to max it out on gear.
Very true. Keep in mind that you really shouldn't go over 33% of your limit or you will start to damage your credit (part of the FICO calculations are credit utilization aka % of credit used). Therefore, that $1500 credit limit should be thought of as a $500 limit. You'd be better off spending $999 at American Musical and paying it off $333 per month than adding that $999 to your credit utilization. Of course, keep in mind that AMS doesn't have the BEST prices and, when they do price match, they don't offer the 3 month payment plan. You have to pay their full price to use that. It's a cost of doing business with them. It's up to you to decide whether it is worth the cost.

In the end, no one can tell you how to live your life. Many are trying to help you out. Credit is a tool. Used wisely and sparingly, it can do great things for you. Used carelessly, it can destroy the fun in life. Unfortunately, more people use it carelessly than carefully. A table saw is also a tool. I wouldn't suggest using that carelessly either.
23rd May 2012
Old 23rd May 2012
Gear nut

The first question I've learned to ask when buying new gear is, "Do I NEED it, or do I WANT it?" Big difference.

If I need it, the cost/benefit ratio comes into play. This determines priority and helps me decide the best way to pay for it.

If I WANT it, but don't really need it. all bets are off. :-)
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search