Shinybox/Fat Head ribbons better than none at all?
Old 19th January 2008
Lives for gear

Shinybox/Fat Head ribbons better than none at all?

Ok, they might not measure up to RCA's, Coles, Royers, etc (though some think they do). My question is, even if they're not on par with some of the finer ribbon mics, would having a few around be better than having none at all?

For example, ribbons are known for how well they take EQ. Would this make a cheaper ribbon more usable than a cheaper dynamic or condenser in cases where you know you'll want to be able to twist things around? By virtue of the fact that they're ribbons, would it be to dial in some freq's that might be lacking (yes I know there's so much more to a mic than just it's freq. response), more easily than could be done with a cheaper mic that was not a ribbon?

What do people think? Worth it just to have a ribbon? Are they "not even ribbons," or is that just snobbery?
Old 19th January 2008
Gear nut

Lots of people on here have bought and loved the Fatheads. I plan on buying one shortly for room mic and second guitar mic usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_allison View Post
Ok, they might not measure up to RCA's, Coles, Royers, etc (though some think they do). My question is, even if they're not on par with some of the finer ribbon mics, would having a few around be better than having none at all?

For example, ribbons are known for how well they take EQ. Would this make a cheaper ribbon more usable than a cheaper dynamic or condenser in cases where you know you'll want to be able to twist things around? By virtue of the fact that they're ribbons, would it be to dial in some freq's that might be lacking (yes I know there's so much more to a mic than just it's freq. response), more easily than could be done with a cheaper mic that was not a ribbon?

What do people think? Worth it just to have a ribbon? Are they "not even ribbons," or is that just snobbery?
Old 19th January 2008
Lives for gear

Yep.. if you do a search there are a lot of people raving about fatheads and shinybox's alike. Some like them more than others I guess..

I haven't heard the shinybox but I've heard the fathead and it sounds like a ribbon to me.... and not like a broken ribbon. That, of course, is a compliment...

A new fathead is on my shortlist as well...
Old 19th January 2008
Lives for gear

I have a pair, and I love them (do try the Lundahl mod). They're not R121s theyre not RCA44s, they are Fatheads they have their sound, and their sound is great if you place them well...
Old 19th January 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks for the feedback gents. Greatly appreciated.

Keep it coming!
Old 20th January 2008
Lives for gear

Yea the fathead is a pretty wonderful mic for the price....you really cant beat it for that kinda money. Works wonderful as a room mic on drums...just used it the other day. I like it on acoustic guitar mixed with a SDC too.
Old 20th January 2008
Lives for gear

Cascade is doing a NAMM sale right now too. It makes it even more affordable to get into one of their ribbons.

Ribbon Microphone - Cascade DR2 Dual Ribbon

I have a stereo pair of the FHII's with the blumlein bar and in my opinion these mics don't suck. If you do a search on them, you would be hard pressed to find someone that would badmouth them. I am sure the Shinybox mics are good too, but I have never had the pleasure of using them.
Old 20th January 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks!

And for the price, one wonders, why not? Most people in North America probably spend the same amount on fast food in a month or two.
Old 21st January 2008
eor
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Cascade is doing a NAMM sale right now too. It makes it even more affordable to get into one of their ribbons.

Ribbon Microphone - Cascade DR2 Dual Ribbon

I have a stereo pair of the FHII's with the blumlein bar and in my opinion these mics don't suck. If you do a search on them, you would be hard pressed to find someone that would badmouth them. I am sure the Shinybox mics are good too, but I have never had the pleasure of using them.
i hate you

love,
eor
yeah, i just bought the stereo pair gonna have to forage for nuts and berries at work for the next few weeks.
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eor View Post
i hate you

love,
eor
yeah, i just bought the stereo pair gonna have to forage for nuts and berries at work for the next few weeks.
You'll thank me later.... promise.
Old 21st January 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499 View Post
for what its worth..

i was really impressed with the shiny box mics for about 3 months....they sounded great...but started falling apart. quality control not so good on my end.

<snip>

all the best,

jchristopherhughes
I had the same kind of thing happen with my ShinyBox ...after owning it for more than a year, the magnet's top layer of alloy began pealing off and kludged up the ribbon. I called Jon at ShinyBox, he told me to ship it out to him and he'd fix it for free, and return shipping was on him (same type of shipping as was sent, I shipped 2-day , and he shipped 2 day back to me). He said that he had a batch of motors which had been made with a crappy "magnet goo" and the metal alloy layer had not been properly applied to them, but the problem has since been resolved.

Now the mic is back to sounding great!

f you're having problems with yours, I'd suggest you contact ShinyBox. I'm sure they'll take good care of you!

-mr moon
Old 21st January 2008
Gear Head

I am usually reluctant to purchase anything that I've never heard or used, but I am so intrigued by the Fathead mics... does the Lundhal transformer change anything sonically, or just improve its operation/longevity?

It's awesome to see so many people hyping them, I think I'm going to buckle down and buy at least one, even if I've never used them before. I am too curious for words
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search