Neve UAD-1 Plug-ins Universal Audio 88RS 1073 1081 33609
New Reply
Subscribe
PhatStax Drums
6th January 2008
Old 6th January 2008
Gear maniac

Neve UAD-1 Plug-ins Universal Audio 88RS 1073 1081 33609

I mix entirely in-the-box, mostly rock and jazz that I usually like to have a vintage sound (assuming it needs to be "dirtied up" or compressed a fair amount but still not sound horribly squashed or distorted (unless we want it to be...okay, you get the very general picture).

I'm liking my UAD-1 and especially the Fairchild 670 compressor plug-in, and the Pultec Pro or whatnot, EQ, and their Precision Maximizer and their Dream Reverb or whatever (except it takes way too much of one card, yeah, I know enough that the plug-in-instances-per-card has already been discussed a bit on this discussion group).

Long story short....I'm anxious to try some Neve plugs...however---

I don't record on my DAW/computer, due to current buget limitations and the fact that some of what I do is live/recording drums, so I record into an Alesis HD24 and then transfer and mix ITB.

The 88RS is referred to as a "Channel Strip." But that doesn't mean its primary use is for tracking or input processing, I'm sure; this is still entirely useful for mixing, right? (I know it is but wanted some perspective and confirmation.)

Also, for the money, which should I get? I have a sample of some recent mixes I've done, here:

http://www.robdrum.com/JVsDemo.html

Should I get an entire bundle, or just the 88RS channel strip?

Well, anyway, I can also just demo them, of course.........

Neve 1073 EQ

$249.00

Neve 1081 EQ

$249.00

NEVE 33609

$249.00

Neve 88RS

$299.00

6th January 2008
Old 6th January 2008
Lives for gear

You will buy them all but the order I'd go in is

88rs, 1081, 33609, 1073

Even though the 1073 is the best of the lot.
6th January 2008
Old 6th January 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to lukejs
UA said that.......

I saw where , I think, in a uA webzine, the 88rs's EQ was supposed to be the best model of an EQ done to date( of all the UA neve stuff).... I don't know if it sounds the best of all of them.... I guess that may be depend on which of all the analog gear sounds best !
6th January 2008
Old 6th January 2008
Gear addict

Since you have a UAD-1, run the 14 day demo of each and try them all out for yourself. Considering the sound quality and the number of instances of the 88RS you can get on one card, it's definitely a must have. That said, get the 1073!

John
PhatStax Drums
6th January 2008
Old 6th January 2008
Gear maniac

Thanks everybody and yeah, I had noticed how the 88RS didn't take up as much on the card, that's a definite plus.

As I mentioned, I just bought the intermediate UAD-1 card package (my computer only has one open slot that already has the UAD-1e in it or whatever it's called, so I just got a regular card for an extra card, I'm hoping this is it (he said . . . ha ha ha . . . I can quit any time I want to . . in fact, I can prove it, I've quit thousands of times, before . . . . ).

That said, that means I have the $500 credit now, I might just take the plunge, put in a few hundred more, and get the entire Neve package, depending on how much I'll actually save (which, of course, I can easily figure out myself).

Obviously I'm not Ocean Way studios here, and maybe I will just demo them first, see what I like, see if only getting the 1073 and, say, the 88 will hold me for a bit (but then I've spent probably 500 anyway, right....)

will probably just get the big bundle on that and be done with it

thanks much all, appreciate it very much

Okay, anyway, I will at least demo everything before taking the plunge, for sure.

Maybe could get by with just the 1073 ???

Nah.....
6th January 2008
Old 6th January 2008
Lives for gear

Even the 1073SE sounds pretty decent. The regular '73 alil more of a pig, I think I can only get 4 on one card, even tho the UAD car is @ 89%. But its sounds killer! I've heard the real 1073s, and no they dont sound just like them, they certainly share some qualities.

You can get more 88RS per card than the 73, IIRC its 11 to 4, maybe? The 88 is very capable for mixing duties.

I also find myself using the '73s more than the '81s.

I'd say pay a lil extra and get the 88RS and the 1073. Demo the 33609 and the 1081 a good month after you have gotten some quaility time from the latter two plug ins.

I would also recommend to demo the new buss comp too. Its suppossedly SSL inspired.

6th January 2008
Old 6th January 2008
Gear addict

The Neve's are amoung my favorit plugs. They just sound good on everything...But if you're into a more vintage vibe, Then you really need to try the Helios... A very different colur, but great if you're looking for that Rolling truck stones things sound.
6th January 2008
Old 6th January 2008
Gear interested

Neve suggestions

I just got the Neve bundle, and I love it. You will too! I took some completely weak drum recordings and made them sound awesome.
6th January 2008
Old 6th January 2008
Lives for gear

for regular work 88rs is very good but Cambridge do the trick for me also.

For character 1073, 1081 and helios69 (not neve) are a must.
6th January 2008
Old 6th January 2008
Lives for gear

another vote for 1073.

1. 1073
2. 1081
3. 88rs

i would take 1073 for eq and 33609 for compression. 88rs isnĀ“t that good.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search