Cascade Fathead and phantom power
Old 17th December 2007
Lives for beer

Cascade Fathead and phantom power

Just thought I'd post a quick confirmation that Fatheads really are phantom-power safe... at least in the short run.

My 15 month old daughter made a visit to the studio last night. I was setting up a mic when my wife informed me that she was "pushing buttons." I came over to inspect her handywork, and was horrified to see that she had chosen a phantom power switch on the preamp that the Fathead was running through. I powered it down and then gave a listen. Much to my relief, it seemed to be fine. Probably wasn't on for more than a minute or two... but I've heard that that's enough to toast a ribbon.

Phew.
Old 17th December 2007
Lives for gear

yep, it's safe, I've done it before too...
Old 18th December 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetMC View Post
Just thought I'd post a quick confirmation that Fatheads really are phantom-power safe... at least in the short run.

My 15 month old daughter made a visit to the studio last night. I was setting up a mic when my wife informed me that she was "pushing buttons." I came over to inspect her handywork, and was horrified to see that she had chosen a phantom power switch on the preamp that the Fathead was running through. I powered it down and then gave a listen. Much to my relief, it seemed to be fine. Probably wasn't on for more than a minute or two... but I've heard that that's enough to toast a ribbon.

Phew.

Cascade Microphones Belden Cable
Old 18th December 2007
Lives for beer

Yeah... I'd seen that. But I had hoped to not put it to a test.
Old 18th December 2007
Lives for gear

Even the stock model comes with a transformer,
So even in the unmoded model phantom power is not a problem.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search