CAD M179 Versus CAD E350
wshaw
6th November 2007
Old 6th November 2007
Lives for gear

CAD M179 Versus CAD E350

The m-179 gets a lot of praise around here, but I was wondering how it fares next to the older and much more epxnesive CAD model, the e-350. That mic was supposed to be really great, especially for VO work, and I haven't heard the m179 mentioned too much for that application.

But more generally, does anyone care to chime in on the respective merits and characteristics of these mics?

Thanks!
6th November 2007
Old 6th November 2007
Lives for gear

I don't have experience with the e350, but have used the M179 for voiceovers. It works great, imo.
wshaw
7th November 2007
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

Anybody?
7th November 2007
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshaw View Post
The m-179 gets a lot of praise around here, but I was wondering how it fares next to the older and much more epxnesive CAD model, the e-350. That mic was supposed to be really great, especially for VO work, and I haven't heard the m179 mentioned too much for that application.
I don't have an m179, but I can't imagine it can hold up to the E-350. The E-350 is the second best condensor mic I've ever bought. Not second most expensive, but definitely second best. It's a lot like how you might imagine a "dry" version of a '47 clone to be(in my case a Lawson L-47MP).
7th November 2007
Old 7th November 2007
Gear Guru

I lived and breathed chorus work with my set of E-350's back in the day... they had such a tangible feel kind of sense to them, caught the expressivity of the singers in a way that was remarkably vivid, just the right touch.

So, brought them out to a performance of Paul Winter's Earth Mass-- it's where they play sound clips of Alaskan timber wolves howling, and they are howling the melody "Kyrie" just exactly like monks in a monastery, and recordings of whales and stuff...

Propped one up on a stand as the group was warming up n' it was DAID. JESS STONED COLD DAID, I dunno, batteries give out, or did it just self-destruct like more-or-less every CAD mic I've ever had? I love this story-- never get tired of telling it.

So, quickly I put up the set of 179's I carry with me everywhere for just this kinda thing! Worked great. CAD, man-- they run hot and cold.
7th November 2007
Old 7th November 2007
Jai guru deva om

Joel, is that one of the new E-350?

War
wshaw
7th November 2007
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

But, Joel, did the 179s record with the quality that you'd hoped the 350's would?
7th November 2007
Old 7th November 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Joel, is that one of the new E-350?

War
Nah, it's one of the old gray ones, got it four years ago now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshaw View Post
But, Joel, did the 179s record with the quality that you'd hoped the 350's would?
I don't know if it matched my sweet imagination. I think I have a mental block because I bought into the whole theory that having batteries for extra power for clean transients was, like, total innovation and no-going-back land.

So, now they are what, saying the batteries didn't matter? DIDN'T MATTER??
wshaw
7th November 2007
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

Well, when I talked with the design engineer at CAD and the e350 amd the m179, like 3-4 years ago, he said that the M179 was a more advanced design. He seemed to like it better, but he was clearly speaking as an engineer, not as a pair of ears, if you know what I mean.

I'm just wondering about the two mics, out of curiosity.

Actually, it's more than curiosity. I have a vx2, and it's really incredible. I've got some voiceover work coming in, though, and I've heard from a number of sources that the e350 was the bees knees for that, so I bought on on ebay recently. Should arrive in a day or two, and I'm wondering how it'll compare to the vx2. We'll see . . .

Meanwhile, with m179s going so DAMNED cheap, if they're as good/better than the e350 then hell, I'll get a few!

That's my situation . . .
8th November 2007
Old 8th November 2007
Gear Guru

An excellent situation to be in.

Voice-over, vocal, anything like that I've gone over to the tube side, anything where you can stand people in a booth. Avant CV-12 is what's permanently mounted, but I'd say Sputnik's or a Trion 8000 even. And I feel like... I have grown, this is progress... supposedly.

Althought there used to be an E-300 right in its place, and it just shone... I'm thinking of the whispery-singer-guys in particular, the sound the mic was putting out had you hanging on every word. The 350's were like that too... I mic'd a chorus in the alcove of a vast church, chanty stuff... they were singing a soundtrack to an old French "Joan of Arc" movie if you've seen that done... lots of percussive "hush!"-style phrasing, and drawn out weaving harmony patterns... the mics just set you right inside the music. Definitely some dark magic going on there.
22nd February 2011
Old 22nd February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WidgetNinja View Post
It's a lot like how you might imagine a "dry" version of a '47 clone to be(in my case a Lawson L-47MP).
I've extensively compared the E-350 to a Wagner U 47, and I can agree with the above statement. The E-350 is an incredible mic.
22nd February 2011
Old 22nd February 2011
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumi View Post
I've extensively compared the E-350 to a Wagner U 47, and I can agree with the above statement. The E-350 is an incredible mic.
My buddy Joe and I compared his excellent and still original condition U47 and my E350 and we were both shocked how well it performed. It really is almost like a U47 without the extra harmonic content. Really the best mic I own.
28th November 2011
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, is it significantly better than the E300?
29th November 2011
Old 29th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude G. View Post
So, is it significantly better than the E300?
Unfortunately, I haven't tested the E 300 so far.

The E 350 is better than the old E 100, but even the E 100 is very good (and I paid only $ 50 for it used). I tested the E 100 on guitar and accordion, which are not known to be the instruments the E 100 excels on. It is said to be a very good tom mic, and I haven't tested it on that.

Sometimes you hear that the E 300 is almost identical to the E 350, but I don't know if this is true.
1st February 2012
Old 1st February 2012
Lives for gear

No. I own two E300s and one E350.....the 350 is far superior...although it LOOKS like the 300....its not!
2nd February 2012
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
No. I own two E300s and one E350.....the 350 is far superior...although it LOOKS like the 300....its not!
good to know!
2nd February 2012
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

First impressions about E-350 vs. M 179

I have just received two M 179, and have made a comparison with a pair of E-350, playing my Goodall Jumbo acoustic guitar in front of them. From this one comparison I would describe the M 179 as cleaner, clearer, a little brighter and more open than the E-350, but very close in sound and also quality of sound. The 3-D-ness seemed to be equally there. The M 179 has slightly more highs, and it has a perceived bump around 5 or 6k, while the E-350 has a slight perceived bump around 1,5k or so (I am referring to my impressions, not to any frequency graphs). It sounds like the formants were raised when switching from E-350 to M 179. All these differences were quite small.
The E-350 sounds a bit "fatter" or "beefier" and a tad more "vintage" due to these differences, and it has a bit more body and grip, while the M 179 sounds more modern and clean and even.

Keep in mind that this is after one comparison with one instrument, and the mics were more or less just placed somewhere (it's always tricky to mic yourself anyway, and in this case I also didn't want to waste time with mic placement).

I will probably get more M 179, and inquire still more into CAD mics.

While the M 179 is at times called "the poor man's C 414", I must say that I am not impressed by the 414. I sold my 414EB, and my 414TLII was about to be sold when it got stolen, both after almost no use (though many tries). The EB can sound nicely "vintage" in a strange way (those funny higher mids that I also heard in some old Sennheiser condenser mics - they also were stolen in that burglary), and the TLII was rather harsh and unnatural. The one thing that sounded great through it was a high hat I recorded from beneath... Acoustic guitar was rather ugly through the 414 TLII, and quite strange (in a positive way, for the right tune) through the EB.
The CAD M 179 seems to sound neutral, clear and punchy in comparison. Real.

Maybe my ears are getting old, but I am very impressed that the CAD 179 sounds so great, and that's not just said in relation to its small price. It seems to be a very useful mic.
And I have already sung my praise for the E-350 in earlier posts.

Due to its robust and "tidy" sound and quick response to transients I can well imagine that the M 179 is great on toms. Also on acoustic stringed instruments, probably on piano, percussion, etc.
It could probably sound a bit harsh in some cases, and the highs could be a little bit smoother for my ears. But it's nowhere near some new cheaper mics (I tested mics for $700 a piece that go in that category) with their ugly highs and a big swamp as midrange.
The highs of the E-350 are a little more "classy" than those of the M 179.

Again, this was after one test with the M 179. I've used the E-350 for many years and know it well.

I still like Neumann tube mics and my Grosser modded Gefells etc., and a Neumann U 87 or TLM 170 can sound very nice in some cases, but these CADs have something really impressive, for incredible prices.

I recently recorded a live folk album with almost only E-350s, and I am really pleased with how the album sounds. I replaced an old CAD E-100 with a Neumann M582 / UM70 on the bass side of the accordion after some takes, and the Neumann sounded quite a bit better than the E-100 (which again sounds quite a bit worse for such tasks than the E-350). But as far as I recall except for room mics (DPA) all other mics were E-350s. It was used in that recording session on violin, mandolin, bouzouki, halszither, dulcimer, percussion, bagpipes, jaw harp, accordion, vocals, hurdy gurdy, and maybe other instruments I currently don't recall, all with exceptional results.
There, I got carried away again...
2nd February 2012
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

2nd February 2012
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Rumi: Great review! BTW, my father, Guido Gnocchi, was from the Italian sector of Switzerland....(Legeia?). Very bright man...spoke 7 languages....
6th February 2012
Old 6th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Rumi: Great review! BTW, my father, Guido Gnocchi, was from the Italian sector of Switzerland....(Legeia?). Very bright man...spoke 7 languages....
Ah, the Tessin is very nice! Have you ever been there yourself?

7 languages is a lot!

Cheers, Rumi
6th February 2012
Old 6th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah, the Tessin is very nice! Have you ever been there yourself?

7 languages is a lot!

Cheers, Rumi
I have but as a child...many, many years ago. I also went to school in Rome for 2 years (Marymount international In Rome), but I was 8 years old. I'm planning a trip soon since I just retired from the Federal Government and have time ( and a little bit of $$$)! Maybe in June-July.....
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
Gear addict

I know 350 very well. Yes, it is a good mic, but has two drawbacks:

- lack of body (if you are looking for big middles, don't look here)
- much emphasizes sibilance

So, for recording vocal, it is not very good choice, imho. For this purpose I think 200 is a better alternative. On the other hand, yes, it is very, very good on many instruments.
15th February 2012
Old 15th February 2012
Gear nut

Old E100 E200 E350

I have them and yes they are great. The 350 worked well on acoustic guitar, female and male vocal, just about anything I tried it on. The E200 is also great, I like it more on Sax , Male vox or deep female vox, bass . Any of the old CAD's
hold their own against the 414's , 4050's, and others I have whether it be vox, overheads, far room ambience, ect. The old 90's round badge cads are great.
My 350 has an oval badge though, I think they just started using the oval, i donno . I always thought that 350 was pretty sweet and after reading this, I decided not to sell it...THANK YOU ALL... lol ... how many mics can you have ....
15th February 2012
Old 15th February 2012
Gear nut

Links to original CAD owners manual E200 E350

9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear interested

has anyone compared the CAD VSM and the CAD E350?I already have the VSM1 and I love it, looking to see what the E350 can offer more ,esp on vocals
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by siga View Post
has anyone compared the CAD VSM and the CAD E350?I already have the VSM1 and I love it, looking to see what the E350 can offer more ,esp on vocals
I have a VSM and 3-350's, but have not tried any vocals with both at my place, other than me speaking into them. Heard a female vocal done with VSM and that's why i bought it. The 350 worked well on the one male vocalist i recorded with it, but he was really pitchy. Like other mics, it all depends on the source.

I haven't paid close attention to the VSM, but the 350 is über sensitive and very detailed. If you can score a clean one in the $400 range, you'll be good. Make sure that you find out about what batteries they have used and if they had acutally read the manual and can speak intelligently about it, because it's real easy to kill a 350. The first one I bought had a busted alkaline battery in it and the jumper set to auto, so I'm positive they had applied phantom power to it in that configuration, not good. I managed to clean it and get it working (there was some nasty noises coming out of it) and it appears to be fine. Anyway, the 350 is an awesome mic and is different enough from the VSM that it would be worth owning both, in my opinion anyway.
10th July 2012
Old 10th July 2012
Gear interested

FWIW, I just put an E-350 up on ebay... have a look, thanks.

--allan
10th July 2012
Old 10th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcl View Post
FWIW, I just put an E-350 up on ebay... have a look, thanks.

--allan
Ya I am watching that. Anyways, I have to say I picked up a M37 new in the box,(ya go figure) . It has the same capsule used in the E300 and have to say I have been getting great results with it on Female Vocals.

People should also realize there is a new E300 that is completely different from the old E300.
I have seen 200's pop up around here maybe I will grab one next time. I have also been interested in the M9 tube.
29th March 2013
Old 29th March 2013
Gear addict

My first condenser mic was a CAD E-200. It had just come out and everyone was raving at the quality v. price point. The first band I recorded with it had 4 different vocalists, and all used the E-200 since it was my only condenser. The sound was very nice and fit well in the mix. A couple of years or so later, I "upgraded" and sold the E-200. Now, as a much more experienced engineer, listening back at those old recordings, I can appreciate just how good the E-200 sounded. It was a bit quirky at times with those internal batteries, but not a difficult issue to solve. About a year ago, I saw a used e-350 at a music store and took it for a test run. I was amazed at how good it sounded. Even though I have an arsenal of high end mics, I'd really like to pick up a pair of E-350's; maybe even a pair of E-200's. Heck, they're cheap enough.
23rd February 2014
Old 23rd February 2014
Gear interested

No comparison between the M179 and E350. The E350 is one of the best mics I have ever used period. Why CAD no longer makes them, I haven't a clue. I use my E350 for voice over, it has a fullness of an old tube mic, a silky high end and not honky in the mids like a U87. The M179 is a very good mic, can't beat the price, in fact maybe it's the best mic at it's price, but it's still no E350. Regarding problems, have never had one. BTW, changed capsule on a CAD E300-2, with an RK 47, beautiful now, the shrill highs are gone.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search