Feature Your Home Studio?
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Feature Your Home Studio?

I AM featuring home studios of other folks on my web site as well as some DIY projects.
Primarily looking at the low-mid range and perhaps some higher-end.
If you have an interest in having your studio or project featured, please see below and e-mail (jpeg) photos and info to me at homestudioguy@verizon.net
Thanks!
hsg

Primarily I would like to get 3-4 (jpeg) photos (Low Resolution if possible), a list of primary equipment, a paragraph about your favorite piece(s) of gear or instrument and a couple of paragraphs about you, your music and how you record.

Preferred Photos (jpeg):
1) Wide shot of your mixing area (with you in it if possible!!!) as this will be the primary photo.
2) A photo of your primary rack(s)
3) A photo of your microphones or a favorite microphone.
3) Another photo, your choice of subject, if you so choose.

Written material: A paragraph or 2 (each) about
1) You, your music, and the primary instruments that you play.
2) How you record (ProTools/Cubase/8-track reel to reel/ADAT/AW16G/etc)
3) Your favorite piece(s) of gear.
4) A list of your primary studio equipment and instruments

Internet Links that will increase your visibility:
1) To your studio site
2) To your music/band/performance group
3) To myspace.com or other similar sites

Last edited by homestudioguy; 21st September 2007 at 12:37 AM.. Reason: Adding Format Information
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

I've received some queries and am posting one of the answers here:
Hey Joe! (watchadoinwithatguniyurhand?)
I am primarily trying to develop a more photo based site for home studio (guys and gals) and one that is less about "ME" and more about "OTHERS" with links to their studios and music.
Low Res Photos?-generally on digital cameras you have the capacity to adjust the resolution of photos. On mine, I can get down to 3.0 resolution. This primarily helps with my website storage capacity ie I can store (and post) more lower res photos as opposed to storing (and posting) "LESS" higher res photos meaning more room for more studios on the site.
Let me know if you are still interested and I'll send ya the format! I'd appreciate your help. :D
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

It's getting interesting........
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

FYI-please go to my homepage and scroll down to bottom for specifics or send me a PM.
thanks!
HSG
Old 20th September 2007
Gear Guru

Checked out your site.

Just a quick tip: that nice, pretty image of your studio on the front page is almost a half megabyte in size -- more than a little bit of a burden for those on dial-up.

(Broadband connections only exist in 53% of American households. Some households have no internet subscription, mind you. The same study also suggests that broadband services account for 72 percent of all home Internet subscriptions -- but that still leaves almost a third who still rely on dial-up.)

The somewhat smaller version of what I believe is the same picture which is posted on page one of your Studio Spotlight is, on the other hand, a fairly reasonable file size, about 60K -- only about 1/8th the size of the larger version.

Since the larger image is too big (at 1200 x 900) for maybe around half of the people browsing on the web (1024 x 768 is still the most common screen size among browsers on US sites, per the last numbers I'm familiar with), I'd suggest scaling it down quite a bit and maybe using a higher JPG compression ration on it, to boot.

Anyhow, just a few constructive crits. I enjoyed seeing your studio!

Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Checked out your site. Just a quick tip: that nice, pretty image of your studio on the front page is almost a half megabyte in size -- more than a little bit of a burden for those on dial-up. (Broadband connections only exist in 53% of American households. Some households have no internet subscription, mind you. The same study also suggests that broadband services account for 72 percent of all home Internet subscriptions -- but that still leaves almost a third who still rely on dial-up.) The somewhat smaller version of what I believe is the same picture which is posted on page one of your Studio Spotlight is, on the other hand, a fairly reasonable file size, about 60K -- only about 1/8th the size of the larger version. Since the larger image is too big (at 1200 x 900) for maybe around half of the people browsing on the web (1024 x 768 is still the most common screen size among browsers on US sites, per the last numbers I'm familiar with), I'd suggest scaling it down quite a bit and maybe using a higher JPG compression ration on it, to boot.

Anyhow, just a few constructive crits. I enjoyed seeing your studio!
Thanks, Blue!
I appreciate the help.
HSG
Old 20th September 2007
Gear Guru

Glad to offer a little feedback.

It's easy to lose track of the range of capabilities out there and, as I'm sure you've already realized, it's almost impossible to get one's site to look or perform the way one wants across all of them.

I shoot for the broadest range that seem likely and check in the big 3 browsers (IE, Firefox, and Safari. I keep meaning to add Opera but... well... one of these days I'll reinstall it. Even there, though, I only have the versions I have, so I can't, for instance, check IE 5 or even IE 6 [at least not without jumping on my laptop for IE 6].)

That said, if you tend to keep things on the simple side and don't go for too many advanced HTML/javascript/CSS tricks you should have pretty good coverage, bandwidth and screen rez issues notwithstanding.
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Glad to offer a little feedback.
It's easy to lose track of the range of capabilities out there and, as I'm sure you've already realized, it's almost impossible to get one's site to look or perform the way one wants across all of them. I shoot for the broadest range that seem likely and check in the big 3 browsers (IE, Firefox, and Safari. I keep meaning to add Opera but... well... one of these days I'll reinstall it. Even there, though, I only have the versions I have, so I can't, for instance, check IE 5 or even IE 6 [at least not without jumping on my laptop for IE 6].) That said, if you tend to keep things on the simple side and don't go for too many advanced HTML/javascript/CSS tricks you should have pretty good coverage, bandwidth and screen rez issues notwithstanding.
Blue!
Thanks again.

So, the KISS Method (keep it simple, silly) works in many places!

I'll miss that big honkin photo but I'd rather have more people have access.

The DIY Projects have brought in a lot of folks especially the $80 workstation.
When the $80 workstation was featured in MAKE-ezine I was getting about 1000 hits a day.

My site, as it is, has since averaged out to about 1000 hits a month.

Again, I appreciate your help and insight.
"Homey"
Old 21st September 2007
Gear Guru

Well, you can balance the dimensions against the JPEG compression/quality... different pictures can sustain different levels of compression. (Also keep in mind that when you do "poster art" type graphics -- solid colors rather than photo or gradient-oriented graphics -- you may get better bang for your byte with GIF or PNG images. Do watch out for different implementations of PNG transparency and other issues, though.)

The KISS rule will help but sometimes the simplest things that seem like they ought to work will look fine in a couple of browsers but be off in one of the others. It's really enough to drive a guy crazy -- and they just keep spilling out poorly-documented and idiosyncratically adopted standards and pseudo-standards like there's no tomorrow... Sorry. I get a little close to my work.
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, you can balance the dimensions against the JPEG compression/quality... different pictures can sustain different levels of compression. (Also keep in mind that when you do "poster art" type graphics -- solid colors rather than photo or gradient-oriented graphics -- you may get better bang for your byte with GIF or PNG images. Do watch out for different implementations of PNG transparency and other issues, though.)

The KISS rule will help but sometimes the simplest things that seem like they ought to work will look fine in a couple of browsers but be off in one of the others. It's really enough to drive a guy crazy -- and they just keep spilling out poorly-documented and idiosyncratically adopted standards and pseudo-standards like there's no tomorrow... Sorry. I get a little close to my work.
Would you like to feature your set-up on my website?
Old 21st September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestudioguy View Post
Would you like to feature your set-up on my website?
There's not enough Photoshop in all of Cyberspace to make it look cool!

In my old house, I had a dedicated space but while it was moderately well set up, it was never aesthetically goovy in the slightest. When I moved to a small beachside apartment I had to stash my piano in the garage below me. At first I had my rig set up in what should have been the bedroom but I found I hated working in there (with the sound-dampening up and moving blankets in the window wells it was dark and claustrophobic). When I switched to a laptop I found myself working in the living room in front of my big corner picture windows (I can see seagulls -- and every once in a great while a pelican -- flying by -- screw the acoustics! ). When I have to do "serious" mixing I move things around substantially...

So, thanks -- but I'll have to pass for now. ;-)
Old 23rd October 2007
Lives for gear

The First Home Studio Guy SpotLight is on.......

Frantisek Busek from the city of Pilsen in the Czech Republic is our very first spotlighted Home Studio Guy. He is a published Sci-Fi writer, a husband and father of 2, a project manager for a manufacturing facility AND a recording musician and singer. He runs his primary mic (a 9-pattern tube ADK CE) through an SPL Goldmike, primary instruments are his voice and his Oberheim MC2000, he records in Sonar Home Studio via M-Audiophile A192 sound card. He shares more on the Home Studio Spotlight page at Home Studio Guy, homestudioguy!
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

The Second Home Studio Guy Spotlight is on......

Joe aka liv_rong from Chicagoland USA is our second Home Studio Guy to be spotlighted. Joe shares that he is currently recording via a 2.79 Ghz Dell Dimension desktop with 1 GB RAM and a 144 GB HD via an Alesis Multimix 16 firewire mixer/interface and an Alesis Multimix 8 usb mixer/interface, tracking and mixing primarily on Acid 6.0. His primary instruments are an M-Audio Keyrig 49 mid/usb keyboard, an Ovation CC-057 acoustic guitar, an EPI acoustic guitar, a Fender Squire acoustic guitar, an Ibanez X-Series electric guitar and a Fender p-bass squire. Joe shares more on the Home Studio Spotlight Page!
Old 25th October 2007
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Hey mate! Cool site well done!
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

How about you?

Thanks for the kind words, hgen.
Would you be willing to be spotlighted?
Having someone from Australia would be great!
Old 25th October 2007
Gear nut

I'd sure like to participate.

I just want my Toft console first!

Great site hsg!
Old 25th October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestudioguy View Post
Frantisek Busek from the city of Pilsen in the Czech Republic is our very first spotlighted Home Studio Guy. He is a published Sci-Fi writer, a husband and father of 2, a project manager for a manufacturing facility AND a recording musician and singer. He runs his primary mic (a 9-pattern tube ADK CE) through an SPL Goldmike, primary instruments are his voice and his Oberheim MC2000, he records in Sonar Home Studio via M-Audiophile A192 sound card. He shares more on the Home Studio Spotlight page at Home Studio Guy, homestudioguy!
That is me :-)

Homestudioguy asked me to share the photos of how my studio desk was built. I will do it within a few days.
Old 26th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fova View Post
Homestudioguy asked me to share the photos of how my studio desk was built. I will do it within a few days.
Fova, thanks again for sharing your info!
As it relates to my suggestion, what I meant was for you to share the photos of how you built your desk on YOUR website as folks may be stopping by to see it on your site.
However, you should definitely share them here too, and in fact, you should start your own thread in the Low-End forum to share your idea.
Thanks, again.
Old 26th October 2007
Gear Head

Old 5th November 2007
Lives for gear

The Third Home Studio Guy SpotLight is on.......

The Third Home Studio Guy SpotLight is on.......
Roy Peak, owner and engineer of Radical Recording In Jacksonville, FL is our 3rd Home Studio Guy to be spotlighted. Roy shares that he has played bass in more bands than he cares to remember for more years than he can remember including Soul Guardians, Radio Berlin, The Problems, and Blue Veronica. He also shares that he was an engineer with Twelfth House Records and played bass or engineered for Brenda David, 86 Love, Al Wells, and The Crawfish of Love and has tracked and mixed at Retrofonic Studios in Crescent Beach, Florida; Calliope Studios, Manhattan; RCA’s Spectrum Studios, Nashville as well as many others. Roy currently records with Sonar 6 on a Gateway 700X 2.6 Ghz Pentium 4 with 1 Gig of ram, using various swappable hard drives and an RME Hammerfall 9652 enclosed in a homemade isolation case and uses a Behringer DDX3216 mixer for tracking and mixing. He shares more on Home Studio Guy, homestudioguy, homestudioguy.com

Consider sharing your info too!!!
Old 12th November 2007
Lives for gear

Our fourth home studio spotlight is on...

Our fourth home studio spotlight is on...
Alan Cohen of Boston is a Computer Science graduate of Tufts University who primarily uses his Burr-Brown Equipped Sytek mpx-4aii preamps via an Echo Audiofire12 into an Apple Powerbook G4 into Digital Performer 4.61 His primary instruments are My instruments are a Taylor 514-CE, a Fender Texas Special Strat with a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp, and a Music Man Sterling bass through an Ampeg BA-115HPT. Alan shares more on the Home Studio Spotlight Page!
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

Our 5th Home Studio Guy to be spotlighted is Brian J. Hallerman who is a multi-talented multi-instrument playing trumpet major with an Associate Degree in Music Production and Recording Engineering as well as his Bachelor of Music. He records primarily into his Digidesign 002R running into ProTools via a Mac Pro with dual 2.0 Ghz Intel Dual Core Xeon Woodcrest processors. Brian shares more on the Home Studio Guy Spotlight Page at Home Studio Guy, homestudioguy, homestudioguy.com

PS-I also redesigned the homepage to eliminate some of the busy-ness!!!
Old 18th November 2007
Lives for gear

home studio folks?

I'm looking for #6.
Anyone interested?
My counter has been hitting close to 100 a day so if you are looking for some free space to talk about yourself, your music, your studio, share some photos and get some free press etc. please give it a thought!
Thanks!
Old 9th December 2007
Lives for gear

Mike Manthe fo Moonface recording is #6!
Thanks, Mike
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search