Anything better than sheet rock?
New Reply
Subscribe
Herman Munster
2nd September 2007
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Anything better than sheet rock?

I'm starting the process of treating the room I'm currently using. It's 13.5ftx13.5ft (ugh!) and is unfortunately adjacent to our bedroom. So, I'm trying to isolate it as much as possible which I know is impossible, however, it's what I'm stuck with. My most recent plan had been to put up another layer of sheet rock running the opposite direction as the first (which is already in place). After that I'll add traps, sonnox, and whatever else. I started to think about this today and wanted to make sure there is nothing better than another layer or two of sheetrock. Any thoughts? Thanks ahead of time...
2nd September 2007
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear nut

quiet rock

(apparently...)
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear nut

For the price you wont find anything better than 5/8th sheetrock.
For the price of 1 layer of quiet rock you can buy a second layer and have better reduction... assuming your room , floor , ceiling is capable of handling the extra weight.
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

add 3/4 strips and put 2 sheets of rock.......hang resilient channel aluminium
strips on that and then hang two more sheets of rock

10-12 sheets with insulation and air and neoprene is the way to go

1 sheet will almost change nothing

3/4 strips to create air w/ 2 5/8 sheets should do a bit

be well

- jack
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

pound for pound and dollar for dollar, sheetrock is about the most effective thing out there.
you can mount 2 layers of drywall with green glue or quiet glue between them and get better performance than many of the other methods with less cost and less labor.

resiliant channel has to be done perfectly to make it effective, and only gives you an extra 3-5 db of reduction i believe.

make sure you seal off the seams and edges or your extra work will become much less significant, or even meaningless!
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear nut

You have to realize also that sound attenuation is only as good as your weakest link. 12 sheets of sheetrock on the wall wont do much if you only have 1 sheet on the ceiling. But putting 3 sheets of sheetrock on your ceiling might spell death if the ceiling joists are not up to the weight.

If you have a hollow core door guess what! sound!
If you have HVAC vents joining the rooms , that may be an issue as well.

I guess it depends on how serious you are and how far you want to take the noise reduction.
There are some good sites out there solely dedicated to home studio building with some great knowledge to share.

Recording Studio Design :: Index

Tom
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I started to think about this today
You're gonna get a million different responses here. Save some time and buy a construction manual and skip to the sound proofing section. Tried and true over many years. ...

Quote:
wanted to make sure there is nothing better than another layer or two of sheetrock.
It depends. For drums... it won't be enough. For guitars and vox, it'll help depending on how you mount the panels...
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Weston View Post
quiet rock

(apparently...)
Bad deal on that stuff, you could likely use 4 layers of sheetrock for the same price and kill it on performance.

War

3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Mass loaded vinyl between layers of sheetrock. Very expensive, but very effective.
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear nut

Mike,
It would help to know what you plan to do in the room.
If you are mainly mixing, recording vocals , guitars etc, you might get by with minimal additions.
Heck making a good iso booth inside the room would do wonders, plus it would break up the room dimensions from being a square.
If you want to record drums and full bands (hard inside that size of room) that is another story.

I checked out your site, I like your stuff, nice voice.
If you ever get into online collabs, I'd enjoy laying some drum tracks for you.

Tom
Herman Munster
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks guys. Tom, my foyer is just outside this room and I plan on using it to track drums. I originally had plans drawn up to have an iso booth in the room, but was advised by Ethan Winer and others to leave it one room. I'll record keys, acoustic guitar, bass, vocals, fiddle and whatever else in this room. I will likely build some gobos. So, I won't be isolating drums. I that would be very difficult in my house.

Also, Tom, thanks for the kind words. I'll keep it in mind. Later...
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear interested

Do not use quiet rock. That stuff is the biggest rip. Your better off going two layers of regular drywall with green glue in between the sheets.
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to nukmusic Send a message via Yahoo to nukmusic
some the the newer products are not ripoffs. They are kinda like shortcuts. You can do the same with comventional building and spend less money if u have a few inches of space to give. Just compare the costs

and don't be afraid of speaking with a well known studio design company. Just because they design major studios doesn't not mean they are too expensive and don't do small home projects.

Docta'J aka Big NUK
Practice Makes Progress
www.twitter.com/nukmusic
5th September 2007
Old 5th September 2007
Gear nut

I remember reading an earlier post about soundproofing, and some of the guys were really into using roofing felt between layers in the walls, along with insulation. They were surprised at how effective the felt was in soundproofing, not to mention how cheap and easy it is.
5th September 2007
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to nukmusic Send a message via Yahoo to nukmusic
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnixon View Post
I remember reading an earlier post about soundproofing, and some of the guys were really into using roofing felt between layers in the walls, along with insulation. They were surprised at how effective the felt was in soundproofing, not to mention how cheap and easy it is.
dont know. I've even seen folks using vinyl sheet flooring in between drywall. I guess folks will try anything.
Herman Munster
5th September 2007
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

It would just be nice if there was something that wasn't so darn heavy that would be adequate.....
5th September 2007
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
It would just be nice if there was something that wasn't so darn heavy that would be adequate.....
So far it seems that you will not be able to soundproof adequately. Unless you are commited to spending a lot of time and money to do it "right", you may as well do nothing at all.

As several others have pointed out, an extra layer of sheetrock will not do much if you are not ALSO dealing with the ceiling, floor, door, other walls, etc. And depending on your frame, you very well may NOT want to be hanging a bunch of sheetrock up.

Your best bet is to just make sure to schedule your tracking for when no one else is in the house... and certainly not when people are sleeping.

"Soundproofing" is a lot more difficult than you would think. Even if you built a room within a room with multiple layers of sheetrock all around etc, you still would not be able to track anything semi-loud with someone sleeping only 10 feet away. Sure, a super duper room within room set-up will perform really well in terms of attenuation, but late at night when all else is quiet, a person only 10 feet away is going to hear stuff and they will likely be disturbed by it if they are trying to sleep.

As for hanging extra sheetrock on resiliant channel... in theory, you would not want to do this over your existing layer of sheetrock. Doing so would create a "triple leaf" situation which hurts attenuation performance of the materials. "Triple leaf" means three separate layers... this is a no no... you have one layer of sheetrock on the bedroom side of the wall now, then you have another layer of sheetrock on the recording room side of the same wall now, then you'd be adding a resiliant channel with yet a third separate layer of sheetrock. Theoretically not good.

To do it right, you'd have to remove the existing layer of sheetrock from the recording room side of the wall, hang your resiliant strips directly on the studs, and then place two layers of sheetrock on the resiliant channel. I'm thinking that this may be more work than you want to get involved with. And again, it may be a waste of time anyway if you aren't going to adequately treat the ceiling, floor, door etc too.

However, removing a layer of sheetrock from a small room is really not THAT much work... it's messy, but pretty easy. You could remove it, then stuff between the studs with some good insulation (like R-15 or whatever - or even rockwool or whatever the acoustic people sell) because you most likely have no insulation in there now, then put up the resiliant strips and 2-layers of 5/8 rock. Unless your house is really weak, the two layers of rock on just one wall should be ok.

While beefing up just the one wall against the bedroom will not help too much overall, it might possibly allow you to jerk around with a direct-in electric guitar / keyboard while someone in the bedroom is sleeping, without bothering them. Gee, just the sound of me typing at my computer keyboard in another room over 15 feet away is enough to wake up my wife and annoy her... (I guess I need more sheetrock on my computer room wall!)... so it finally depends on how sensitive the other people in your house are to both loud and soft levels of sound while sleeping... etc.

But... take my earlier advise, skip the soundproofing altogether and just work when no one else is around or sleeping.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search