New Reply
Subscribe
b_karv
31st August 2007
Old 31st August 2007
Gear nut

Yamaha Ns10m & Yamaha Ns10m STUDIO

Hi,

Looking on ebay to purchase a pair of Ns10m when noticed this. What is the difference between the Yamaha Ns10m & Yamaha Ns10m STUDIO??

All noticed is the Studio is placed horizontally and that it has different connector clips. Apart from this are there any sound quality difference? Also do you place the Yamaha Ns10m (normal pair) horizontally as well.

Of course my application is studio monitoring.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Karvan
b_karv
1st September 2007
Old 1st September 2007
Gear nut

No matter I'm an idiot. Just realised the Yamaha Ns10's are the Yamaha Ns10m's. And the Yamaha Ns10m's are the Yamaha Ns10m STUDIO
1st September 2007
Old 1st September 2007
Gear addict

Send a message via MSN to greyskull
the ns10 m STUDIO have different tweeters (they have the bog roll built in)
dbu
2nd September 2007
Old 2nd September 2007
dbu
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_karv View Post
Hi,

Looking on ebay to purchase a pair of Ns10m when noticed this. What is the difference between the Yamaha Ns10m & Yamaha Ns10m STUDIO??

All noticed is the Studio is placed horizontally and that it has different connector clips. Apart from this are there any sound quality difference? Also do you place the Yamaha Ns10m (normal pair) horizontally as well.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Karvan
Why on earth are you buying NS10's?
b_karv
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear nut

Been looking at many monitors. I heard great things about the ns10's but this review really what won me over.

Yamaha NS10 Nearfield Monitors

Only bad thing about these monitors to make them sound good you need to spend big money on a good amp. Usually I would of said 'no way' but as I already have a pair of Tannoy reveal Passive's I could then run both monitors through this amp hence having 2 good references.

Haha grey skull yeah I read that. But yeah I actually though the Ns10's were a different model to the NS10m's. Stupid me!!

Regards,

Karvan
dbu
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
dbu
Gear interested

Quote:
Been looking at many monitors. I heard great things about the ns10's but this review really what won me over.

Yamaha NS10 Nearfield Monitors

Only bad thing about these monitors to make them sound good you need to spend big money on a good amp. Usually I would of said 'no way' but as I already have a pair of Tannoy reveal Passive's I could then run both monitors through this amp hence having 2 good references.

Haha grey skull yeah I read that. But yeah I actually though the Ns10's were a different model to the NS10m's. Stupid me!!

Regards,

Karvan
You may want to do some more research. NS10's are generally known to be the worst joke ever played on the audio industry. They are essentially crappy hi-fi bookshelf speakers that say studio monitor on them.
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbu View Post
You may want to do some more research. NS10's are generally known to be the worst joke ever played on the audio industry. They are essentially crappy hi-fi bookshelf speakers that say studio monitor on them.

Yes....they are.......if anyone sees this please sell me your NS-10MS monitors.....they completely suck.dfegad...and i will do you a favor and take them off your hands.....
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yet they are also the best monitors for mixing I have ever come across. Its not instant results but when you get into the groove of working with them they are awesome.
I like various monitors to work on but mixes never seem to translate as well of anything else.
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear nut

I actually like mixing on NS10m's aswell. They're a great compliment to my diy mains and bm6a's
dbu
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
dbu
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilE View Post
Yet they are also the best monitors for mixing I have ever come across. Its not instant results but when you get into the groove of working with them they are awesome.
I like various monitors to work on but mixes never seem to translate as well of anything else.
Well, to each his own I suppose. To me it's like trying to mix on a clock radio.
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why on earth are you buying NS10's?
It seems there's one of these on every thread about NS-10s. There are a million good reasons to buy NS-10s and several good reasons not to. This is discussed to death everytime someone brings them up on this forum.

Although your question is clearly rhetorical, it deserves the old standby GS reply:

Do a search!

Quote:
Well, to each his own I suppose. To me it's like trying to mix on a clock radio.
Hey... you just gave me an idea!

PS- I love my auratones, by the way. Do I use them without another reference? No. That would be just as silly as only mixing on great-sounding, expensive. "High Fidelity" Studio Monitors.
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Hey... you just gave me an idea!

PS- I love my auratones, by the way. Do I use them without another reference? No. That would be just as silly as only mixing on great-sounding, expensive. "High Fidelity" Studio Monitors.

good point.
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear addict

Send a message via MSN to greyskull
Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post
No. That would be just as silly as only mixing on great-sounding, expensive. "High Fidelity" Studio Monitors.
spot on.
my best translating mixes were done on ns10's
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:

If you want to learn why NS10s are so good for mixing, you could do worse than check out the current issue of Resolution magazine. There's a very good article on them there.

From my understanding of it, it boils down to the fact they're very accurate in the time domain ie they respond to transients very well. A bigger speaker may well go down lower, but it may be slower to respond to the attack of percussive sounds (in effect compressing the attack of a sound). One of the result is it's difficult to balance kick and bass sounds. According to this article, this is a popular mastering bugbear (and one it's difficult if not impossible to correct in mastering) but one which doesn't tend to transpire from mixes where NS10s were used as reference.

Yes, they don't have a lot of bottom end, but providing nothing nasty is happening down there (ie cross-reference on a pair of big monitors) that can be corrected more easily at mastering.

The other thing is, they were originally designed to sit on a bookshelf - hence they work quite well sitting on a meter bridge, whereas other monitors should really be flown or on stands to get the "truest" performance.

So dbu, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss NS10s as "the worst joke ever played on the audio industry" - there IS a reason they've been used for so many years! I don't know your personal circumstances, but I'm guessing you've not done much assisting with working engineers......? or you'd have seen how much they've been used!
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear maniac

I mix on ns-10m's on a regular basis and would not trade them for anything!!

Also of interest, ns-40 ! looks like an ns-10 with 2 woofers and a mid!! KILLER!

Just reminded me, I have some empty ns-40 cab's in the garage somewhere!

www.wiz1der.com
"Producing & Engineering Hip Hop since '87"
b_karv
4th September 2007
Old 4th September 2007
Gear nut

LOL how did this thread turn from the difference between the Ns10m and Ns10m Studio to a Ns10m are shit thread?.....
4th September 2007
Old 4th September 2007
Gear addict

NS-10

They are shit...But thats why i got them actually..

They would not be useful for everyone but for some areas of music they do have some plus points..For Example....

Most of the music i make (electronic dance and Some heavier electronic rocky things) , have a LOAD of things going on, very full arrangements and getting little things like clear vocals is sometimes a little more difficult than in lets say in Pop or more simple arrangements..

The speakers dont have sub or much lo end below 100 HtZ and they are not in anyway bright or clear above 10k.
So it lets you concentrate on the fundamentals of you tracks...

Like i said , They are not needed for most musical areas, but can come in handy for some People..

They basically sound like a modern day house or car speaker and thats where alot of people will hear your music so its nice to know what they will hear...

Thats what i think anyway..

As for the difference od the NS-10 and 10m's, i am not sure but anyway, they both can serve the same purpose...

Jun
4th September 2007
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll have to switch my Bryston 4B over to the clock radio and see if that works for me, too! Thanks for the tip!
23rd June 2008
Old 23rd June 2008
Gear interested

they saying goes, "The NS 10's suck so bad, but if you can make a mix sound good on them, then you are M O N E Y!"
23rd June 2008
Old 23rd June 2008
Gear nut

Send a message via AIM to Robearto4
It's true, they sound awful, but you can make some good mixes on them if you learn to use them right. It will take a few sit-downs with them to get acclimated to the sound, but eventually you will learn to appreciate and use these monitors to your advantage.

I have the ns-10m's at home and love them... as alternate monitors.

Awaiting my Tannoy Precision 6D's to arrive any day now...
5th October 2012
Old 5th October 2012
Gear interested

Not true!

These are pristine sound realizers! I can't put it any other way they do not enhance the sound they show it how it is and this lets you get a real analogy of what ever it is you are putting down!

The reason this monitor lasted so long and was in every studio is because it is the best and still remains in every true studio. Cheaper less accurate monitors have given this financial competintion but nothing comes even close to the accuracy of this monitor! Trust...... If you do not know sound DON'T get this monitor! If you want bass and want to boom your way into existence This is not what you want! In this case get KRK or 2010 or even the Yamaha hs50's or 80's
The problem is there is hardly any sound designers or craft workers around that need the true response of this speaker beacause most everyone is using prefabricated sounds for that inside of the box Microwavable and easily duplicatable sound. Try making your own sounds this is what Ns10's are for.. People who need a reference for sound not a duplicator of audio! SO if you are getting you sounds from wave files and using pre fab drum sound! You won't like NS10'S If you are crafting your own sounds and need to hear what it is that you are doing these are a must! I hope I have made the desision easier for you! Simply put (Do you microwave you sound or do you Bake it" If you love baked good Get the Ns10s Nuff said! and you can quote me on that!
5th October 2012
Old 5th October 2012
Gear interested

You really have to unerstand what he is taklin' about translating sound!

You really have to unerstand what he is taklin' about translating sound!
A Mix engineer is nothing more than a "translator" of sound! The NS10s are his greatest tool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyskull View Post
spot on.
my best translating mixes were done on ns10's
5th October 2012
Old 5th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Karvan
The original speaker was designed and sold as a stereo bookshelf speaker, pretty much aimed at the college market. They were only available through stereo stores, music retailers could not get them. Yamaha protects the various segments of it's market. I bought my first pair for $188. Talked them up to my local music store, which tried but could not get them to sell.

Eventually this speaker became popular with traveling engineers who needed a reference to compare to the big studio monitors. Since they didn't work in the same rooms every day, they needed a reference. But there were some issues with the original design. The tweeters blew out very easily. Most engineers pulled off the grille cloth. This then made the tweeters a bit strident, so engineers started taping tissue over the tweeters.

There was so much hue and cry from the Yamaha music store network that they needed to create a product for that market. As most engineers turned the cabinet on it's side to open sightlines (they generally sat on the meter bridge), the new design stenciled the lettering in nice big white letters sideways instead of subtle gray lettering vertically. They increased the power handling with a redesigned tweeter and removed the grille cloth.

As it turned out it is still easy to blow the tweeters because so many people try to power the speakers with 60 to 75 watt amps, which is not enough headroom.

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Resistance is not futile. It is voltage divided by current.
5th October 2012
Old 5th October 2012
Lives for gear

When buying off eBay, always make sure you inspect them. I've had a few pairs and the condition of some of the drivers has been shocking (and not visible from pictures). A lot of the time, the sellers don't even realize. And they're not cheap to replace!

As for the general NS10m argument, not even worth getting into. A lot of misinformation and counter-misinformation!
5th October 2012
Old 5th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
From my understanding of it, it boils down to the fact they're very accurate in the time domain ie they respond to transients very well. ....
Yes, they don't have a lot of bottom end, but providing nothing nasty is happening down there (ie cross-reference on a pair of big monitors) that can be corrected more easily at mastering.

...or you'd have seen how much they've been used!
It is a ying/yang thing... there is a definite harshness in the vocal range. You correct for that, your mix ends up light there on more accurate speakers. Plus the lack of low end is not a problem with experienced engineers who do not force the issue, but the average home-gamer muds up there whole mix trying to add low end to a speaker incapable of reproducing it. Not easy to correct. The pluses of the box are oft ignored because of the minuses which are quite egregious. Mastering houses get quite frustrated, since few of us are world class.

and in terms of being used.. well, the 58 is the most used vocal mic, but that doesn't make it the best choice.

Nothing is going to kill the popularity of this box. I can only say that I used it through the 80s but always had to reference them against something else even after I thought that I 'knew' them. Several of my Nashville buddies repeatedly asked me why I didn't just get one pair of full-range speakers that I could trust, and once I did, my work was better.
5th October 2012
Old 5th October 2012
Gear addict

i think some of u are missin the point.. it brings u out creatively.. ur supposed to mix on them at low levels, and just go to work! thats it... i have a pair as well (used nothin but them for 20yrs), but i hooked them up to my TV in the living room, bcuz i got Adams now.. but if i cant do anything right on those Adams, guess who's comin back in the studio? its like havin an MPC 60... not that much sample time, so u gotta be creative.. thats all.

da relic
6th April 2013
Old 6th April 2013
Gear addict

I think the reason many think that NS10s sound awful is that most mixes actually sound awful and the Yamahas are simply delivering the truth. I find I can hear details on them that escape the vast majority of the popular speakers, including most of the sought-after brands (you know who they are), and I think this is because their transient response is so good, including settling time in the bass region. See the NS10M graphs on this pdf,
http://tinyurl.com/c9wt76o
which includes startling results from some highly respected brands:
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search