Whats the deal with Sterling Audio
New Reply
Subscribe
fhinspectit
8th July 2007
Old 8th July 2007
Gear nut

Whats the deal with Sterling Audio

looking at purchasing a new mic, came across Sterling ST77 while at GC. buddy that works there raved about it, come to find out GC apparently bought rights from GT to produce the mics "based on searches in these forums" I have heard good reviews based on the people on here. I am also considering the Sterling ST66 tube mic along with the M-Audio Sputnik. the mic will mainly be used for hip hop vocals, primarily female. Anyone familiar with Sterling ST66 and/or the ST77 give some feedback. Seems as if everyone basically love the sputnik on everthing. I know there are other mics in the same price range but I really would like feedback based on the above mics if possible. Thanks
8th July 2007
Old 8th July 2007
Gear maniac

ive got a pair of ST31's that are pretty damn nice for $99.
the consistency from mic to mic is not great, there is a slight output difference between the two(approx 3db)..but what can you really expect at that price point...all chinese condensers exhibit that problem.
8th July 2007
Old 8th July 2007
Lives for gear

I've got a Sterling ST55, which is their large condenser FET mic. It's pretty good on fingerstyle guitar. It's main flaw is that is that it may be a bit brittle on the top end. This may not be a problem, depending on the application.
fhinspectit
8th July 2007
Old 8th July 2007
Gear nut

alot of people seem to like the at4050 on vocals. plan on spending around 500 on next mic. looking for noticable upgrade from akg perception 200. the sterling st77 retails for 499, was considering the studio projects c1,sterling st55, and the mxl v67i. not sure if these would be considered an upgrade or crossgrade from perception 200. seems that tube mics are not really used for hip hop vocals that much. for the price the st77 is getting good reviews on various forums.
9th July 2007
Old 9th July 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhinspectit View Post
alot of people seem to like the at4050 on vocals. plan on spending around 500 on next mic. looking for noticable upgrade from akg perception 200. the sterling st77 retails for 499, was considering the studio projects c1,sterling st55, and the mxl v67i. not sure if these would be considered an upgrade or crossgrade from perception 200. seems that tube mics are not really used for hip hop vocals that much. for the price the st77 is getting good reviews on various forums.

i have the st77 and i like it alot, a very modern sound. do a search for other posts i've made and you'll find a link to a mic shootout i did with the st77, an ADK vienna, a mxl v69me, and a gt/alesis am51. i ended up keeping the first three (and i have yet to try a bunch of different tubes in the v69 so i may post those results too). i think the st77 sounds great on my voice, but alot of people seemed to like the vienna more (which i would have to say it is very versatile, and great quality for price!!).

i bought and sold the sp c1, i did not like it at all, way hyped, i was disappointed. i think the earlier productions were of better quality. FWIW, i have also had poor results with the rode ntk and the rode k2, for the money not so good but maybe with the right preamp... and mixed feelings about the neumann tlm103, good mic but very thin sounding, not the best for me. i haven't tried the sputnik but have heard great things about it, it is on my list...
9th July 2007
Old 9th July 2007
Gear addict

ST-77 is NASTY. Incredible mic for the price. Makes acoustic guitars sing, vocals, drums, mando, you name it. The best 500 dollar purchase I've made. My go-to a LOT.
13th July 2007
Old 13th July 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via AIM to Steffmo
Stirling mics are a Guitar Center brand. The designs are discontinued Groove Tube Designs, if you notice the similarity.

My buds at at GC are concerned that as time goes of the mics will be less faithful to the GT versions, but for now they seem ok.
10th August 2010
Old 10th August 2010
Gear interested

I have the Sterling Audio ST 66 and i love it. Warms up anything you put in front of it. I used it on my vocals and acoustic guitar and was impressed with both. I've heard some people not liking it for acoustics, but I thought it was great. It's not very jangly top end, but it's nice and smooth for my ears. I did a acoustic set with the AKG C1000 and the ST 66 and each brought its own characteristics to the acoustic. They were very nice when I blended the 2 of them together. Warmer for the ST 66 and more high end for the C1000. I didn't use the presence boost on the C 1000. The St 66 definitely adds some coloration to what you put in front of it because of the tubes I'm assuming. I think it sounds fantastic on acoustics and vocals. It's the best mic I own.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search