Login / Register

Show me your low end room
New Reply
Subscribe
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
Gear interested

Here is my low budget studio. Still cost me an arm and a leg. I aint rich. LOL. Just gotta get my big knob in. Peep out the pillow soft booth. And i dont do panels. The unphotographed part of the room is my office.

28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

And here's yet another Corner of Things™. Speaker stands are on the list but always end up getting pushed down because buying instruments is much more fun :D

28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruxify View Post
Hey man, I was planning to make my own panels also, though I'm not trying to destroy my walls or puncture them too much (planning on moving relatively soon in the near future) I was wondering how you hung up those panels (and how heavy they were), I'm mainly looking your corners and the window installments. Any tips?
i hung the panels with D-rings and OOG brand hooks that nail into the wall; easy to nail in and easy to remove, leaving behind a small hole. i got all of the supplies from home depot. the d-rings i screwed into the frames of the panels with the exception of the cloud. with the cloud i screwed the d-rings into the ceiling studs, screwed those big question mark looking hooks into the frame, then hung it up.

with the corner panels i hung each one with only one d-ring and oog hook. I measured and tested the top and bottom to make sure the rings and hooks matched up then secured the top panel first. i held the top panel in place while i secured the bottom panel. i only need one hook for the top panel since most of the weight is sitting on the bottom panel. the hook and ring for each panel is basically to keep it from falling away from the wall so in that sense they're really not "hung", just kept in place. the far left and far right panels behind the desk are placed in a similar fashion but are actually hung up. i used gravity to naturally push them square against the corner panels; the oog hook went into the window frame. as for the middle window panel i just secured it into the wall below the window. it tilts very little forward but just a bit more than the others.

...the corners weren't so bad, the windows and walls were easy, the cloud was a bitch to hang up...tons of measurements and having my cousin slide a mirror along the wall and ceiling lol. i'm extremely happy with the wall panels! the auralex i had in the other room totally destroyed the walls in that room and i'm still trying to get the glue and little pieces of black foam off the wall. I would re-measure and rehang any day over scrub the walls with goof-off and vacuum up little black pieces. in short, never ever ever going back to all foam, right now i just use it to fill in gaps of wall space and i've hung it up with thumb tacks but the tacks don't hold it perfectly. I might just do like 4 small corners of glue with the foam so the clean up isn't horrendous

I'd say each panel is probably 20-30lbs and the securing supplies are pretty cheap.
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Gear Head

Let's see if the upload works right. Not sure if this qualifies as low end. Maybe low middle. The room is a big cube. The doors are closed during tracking and mixing with curtains pulled and bass traps in place.

Hugh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Studio1.jpg (1.54 MB, 528 views) File Type: jpg Studio2.jpg (1.42 MB, 422 views) File Type: jpg Studio3.jpg (1.48 MB, 388 views) File Type: jpg Studio4.jpg (1.46 MB, 358 views)
Superior Drummer 2
Kontact 3
Firestudio Project
Adam A7s (no sub)
GIK Room Treatment
AT4033, AT2020, SM57s(2)
Fender Strat.
Boss GT10 FX Unit
Fender Tube Guitar Amp
Motif XS6
Basic E Drum Set for MIDI

The whole thing is a typewriter.
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Gear maniac

My room.
Attached Thumbnails
Show me your low end room-dsc01397.jpg  
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Gear interested

Here's mine! It's getting hardwood flooring/new desk this weekend.

1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Gear interested

Hey nato. What daw is that? Cubase? Can't tell from photo. And what iPad controller are you using and how do u like it? I was thinking of getting an app for my iPad and iphone but I really don't want my machine hooked up to the Internet.
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey C View Post
Hey nato. What daw is that? Cubase? Can't tell from photo. And what iPad controller are you using and how do u like it? I was thinking of getting an app for my iPad and iphone but I really don't want my machine hooked up to the Internet.
Just shooting in here.
He's using Cubase with AC-7 Pro (The iPad app)

I'm running the same thing and I can tell you it's a good app. But something doesn't feel right with a "soft" controller like that. But that's just me.
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato101010 View Post
Here's mine! It's getting hardwood flooring/new desk this weekend.

Since you're taking everything out of the room anyway, get your desk out of the corner (it's the worst place you can be, especially in a small room) and position your monitors better. Your current position is only going to make mixing more challenging.
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey C View Post
Yup, SveinKB was right on both accounts. It's just Cubase Artist 6, and the app is Ac-7 Core. I really like the app, I use it mostly for when I need to record drums by myself. I take it over to the drums, and press record when I'm ready on the iPad. Since this computer is a recreational computer as well, I don't mind hooking it up to internet at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricF View Post
Since you're taking everything out of the room anyway, get your desk out of the corner (it's the worst place you can be, especially in a small room) and position your monitors better. Your current position is only going to make mixing more challenging.

Unfortunately, since it is a small room, i did this because of space. I had all up against the red wall at one point, but that was worse because all of my tracks were mixed heavier to one side. I haven't found too much of an issue with this setup. The mixes I've done sound better then anything I've done previously with that arrangement.

What do you suggest doing?
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Yup, SveinKB was right on both accounts. It's just Cubase Artist 6, and the app is Ac-7 Core. I really like the app, I use it mostly for when I need to record drums by myself. I take it over to the drums, and press record when I'm ready on the iPad. Since this computer is a recreational computer as well, I don't mind hooking it up to internet at all.
Thats cool! Makes me wish I could set up my iphone as a remote for reaper (for when I'm tracking drums for myself..) Would make my life alot easier
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to Mats H
Quote:
Originally Posted by timx1386 View Post
Thats cool! Makes me wish I could set up my iphone as a remote for reaper (for when I'm tracking drums for myself..) Would make my life alot easier
You can do that with AC7 core mini...
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by timx1386 View Post
As Mats is saying, AC-7 Core can do that. Although I'm sure there are much simpler and cheaper apps, if you just need it to hit record.
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unfortunately, since it is a small room, i did this because of space. I had all up against the red wall at one point, but that was worse because all of my tracks were mixed heavier to one side. I haven't found too much of an issue with this setup. The mixes I've done sound better then anything I've done previously with that arrangement.

What do you suggest doing?
I understand the limitations of working with a small space. It can be a real challenge, and invariably, compromises have to be made. The problem with being in the corner is bass build-up which will significantly affect the sound you're hearing.

Since being able to monitor accurately is a critical part of mixing, I would start with putting your desk in the best spot you can and work everything else around that. The first rule is to set up your desk to it is centered between two walls - right-left symmetry is critical.

As for monitor placement, they should be set so the tweeters are at ear level, and the monitors and your head form an equallateral triangle. Here's some more info on monitor setup...
http://www.gikacoustics.com/education.html#speaker

One thing that will DEFINITELY help in a small space like yours is proper acoutsic treatment.

Just do the best you can with what you're working with. The more you learn about room acoustics, the more you can make wise decisions (and intelligent upgrades) with the space you're in.
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

Great stuff!
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Gear nut

$5? I'll give the AC mini a try! thanks for the tip!!

edit: I just got it set up with reaper and it actually works pretty good!! I was real surprised!! Of course it doesn't feel like having real faders and all that but.. for $5 bucks! pretty fantastic deal. I'd definitely recommend it to others. and yes, recording drums (and other things probably too) just got alot easier.

Thanks for making my day!! this is great!
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear interested

They need to start making these apps Bluetooth. They would be really handy for me when I record my own vocals. Going in and out of the booth constantly to do my takes kills my workflow, voice consistency, and motivation.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear Head

Heres my room. My wife gave me a bedroom to use as a control room, and I use the adjacent living room as a tracking space for drums, vocal, guitar, etc. I built 3 gobos to use while tracking, they can be seen in the foto with the drums.

2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heshian46 View Post
Heres my room. My wife gave me a bedroom to use as a control room, and I use the adjacent living room as a tracking space for drums, vocal, guitar, etc. I built 3 gobos to use while tracking, they can be seen in the foto with the drums.

Monitor Placement and stand the monitors vertically. Monitors are wide..

But NICE!!! Great home studio, love the acoustics!
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear Head

I actually just replaced them with some hs80m's 2 days ago. Before that I was trying different things out with placement, hence why you see them laying horizontally.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Here's an update with the second set of monitors on the bridge now. New Ibanez S series as well as a new VHT and a Leslie.
Attached Thumbnails
Show me your low end room-img_3513.jpg   Show me your low end room-img_3529.jpg   Show me your low end room-img_3530.jpg  
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear interested

here is mine

Here is my little cave. I just finished building it this morning. I foamed all the ceiling because its 1. very low 2. out of cement. and the panels on the wall look less effective than they actually are. It's not perfect but definetly does the job. As for the mixing room, well the pictures were taken before I put the treatment on.
-one 13x13 room one 11x12 room

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Shark Sandwich

My Studio

^^ Too small! ^^
(the pictures, not the space)

edit: well, they used to be!
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordinghopkins View Post
^^ Too small! ^^
(the pictures, not the space)
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Head

recently added 8 pres so I can track drums.

4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear interested

There I uploaded bigger ones on the original message
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

My humble home recording set-up.. Show me your low end room-imageuploadedbygearslutz1330911447.255497.jpg
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear maniac

I'm about 1-2 weeks from being able to post in this thread =D! <3 tax returns.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music View Post
My humble home recording set-up.. Attachment 280181
What are those little speakers?
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to lostwars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
What are those little speakers?
I think those are the new Tascam mini monitors. I saw them at guitar center this weekend.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search