Login / Register

where does the most creamiest, smoothness, phatness comes from...
New Reply
Subscribe
ine-kpro...
24th June 2007
Old 24th June 2007
Gear maniac

where does the most creamiest, smoothness, phatness comes from...

is it the mic, preamp, compressor, converters or daw or tape that adds the most cream, smoothness and phatness to a signal?

what units would that be.
www.3views.ine-kpro.com
24th June 2007
Old 24th June 2007
Lives for gear

Yes.
24th June 2007
Old 24th June 2007
member no 666

... it comes from the player [singer, what have you]... all we do is try to have the gear not get in the way as much as possible and try to be true to the aesthetic of the artist and help them communicate their music.

CN Fletcher

Professional Affiliation:

R/E/P Professional Recording Engineer and Producer forums

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

Roscoe Ambel once said:
Pro-Tools is to audio what fluorescent is to light
ine-kpro...
24th June 2007
Old 24th June 2007
Gear maniac

there must be one gear out there that you have tried that you would say adds the most creamiest, smoothness and phatness to a signal out of all the other gear.
24th June 2007
Old 24th June 2007
Lives for gear

a great mic with a great class a mixing desk and a really well maintained
2" tape recorder wins the race every time in my opinion. things recorded this way
sound good yesterday, today and tomorrow.

i have recorded katell keineg and rufus wainwright - two great singers - to both digital and to 2" 8 track - fletcher's observation about
the importance of the artist is assumed in my post above - the 2" 8 track has no comparison for recording anything, let alone a truly
great singer - higher resolution than any digital and smooth, deep and and rich......the todd ao of sound

be well

- jack
24th June 2007
Old 24th June 2007
Lives for gear

it all starts with the mic's and a high quality preamp, the best converters..i could go on and on..its your full tracking chain..if you try to get a sound with one box
you will miss it....
24th June 2007
Old 24th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
... it comes from the player [singer, what have you]... all we do is try to have the gear not get in the way as much as possible and try to be true to the aesthetic of the artist and help them communicate their music.
So...... I can stick a Radio Shack cassette deck any-ol-place in the room and get "creamy smooth phatness" from any player as long as they know how to get "creamy smooth phatness" from their instrument or voice?

And just exactly how does one get "creamy smooth phatness" from their vocal cords?

Oh and point me to a guitar amp that has "creamy smooth phatness" when recorded to a Radio Shack cassette deck because I have recorded some GREAT players with some great guitars through Marshalls, Fenders, Bogners, Randalls, Egnaters, Ampegs, Supros, Peaveys, Oranges, Gallien-Kruegars, Voxs, and a whole sh*tload of others and not once have they come out sounding "creamy smooth" OR "phat" when I didn't use the proper tools on my side of the glass.

dfegad

WTF?... I get so sick of this answer it makes my head spin. I don't know what world others are living in by in my world I really don't control who stands in front of my microphones. My job is to make them sound as good as I can with the tools and techniques I have available. NOTHING has "creamy smooth phatness" if I don't hold up my end of the bargain and "my end of the bargain" includes experience, techniques and EQUIPMENT.

ine-kpro..., I agree with effectsnut, it usually starts with the mics and preamps BUT part of that is what I mentioned above, you have to have good micing techniques on the right source to get there. And you need the back side of the chain as well.

There is no one magic bullet that you and Fletcher seem to be pointing to for good sounds (and I know Fletcher agrees with this but his post really makes it sound like it is ALL in the hands of the performer which I think even he would agree is not the case)..

It is the accumulation of all the steps.

Quality premaps with transformers and good mics placed in the right position on a good player would be a good starting point.
24th June 2007
Old 24th June 2007
Lives for gear

V72/76
24th June 2007
Old 24th June 2007
Lives for gear

I myself never mention a guitarist or singer because that would be stating the obvious...but if some people need to hear it yes you need a good musician/singer…
24th June 2007
Old 24th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by effectsnut View Post
I myself never mention a guitarist or singer because that would be stating the obvious...but if some people need to hear it yes you need a good musician/singer…
I know... stating the obvious gets a little... well... obvious after a while doesn't it?

LOL

24th June 2007
Old 24th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
I know... stating the obvious gets a little... well... obvious after a while doesn't it?

LOL

yes!!!
24th June 2007
Old 24th June 2007
Gear maniac

Hope this helps.

That Sound

One said the sound of tape makes them smile.

Like someone said here, it is probably all of the things you mentioned.

Just list what you have and see if anyone can help you from then on.

Good luck with this. Gees.

Last edited by CommunityMart; 24th June 2007 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: actually don't know if that link will help now
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search