Adam a7 vs genelec 8040
New Reply
Subscribe
fr0st
3rd May 2007
Old 3rd May 2007
Gear nut

Adam a7 vs genelec 8040

I have the option to get the genelec 8040a's for 1700. Or the adams for a little over a 1000, which speaker should I get? IMO they sound quite a bit different, the ribbon really does have a bit of a harsh high end. The genelecs sounded smooth all the way through the spectrum and seemed to have better bass response. Should I learn to love the adams or get the genelecs on the cheap?
3rd May 2007
Old 3rd May 2007
Lives for gear

Go with the sound you like...

You found the Adam's harsh, then that will not go away...

I am in a sortof similar situation... I am looking for a nice 5.1 setup for my living room.

I had it narrowed down to the 8020/8030, the Dyn Bm5a's or the Adams.

I haven't heard the Adam's yet, but I found the Genelec's harsh compared to the Dyn's. (Also I got a pair of BM6a's so I am familiar with that sound).

The difference is logical, metal tweeter compared to a softdome tweeter, though found the imaging in the high end on the Genelec's very good only a bit harsh to my liking, but you could also see it from another point of view at least you can mix the high end carefully on these, but I am not sure my ears will like me for mixing on those speakers. Even on the small 8020 the high end imaging was great, but they were too small for my living room and too little low end, even paired with a sub there was a too huge hole in the spectrum for me. (could work in very small rooms though)

Haven't heard the 8040's but as they're a step up from the 8030's I suppose they must be pretty good. Read on GS a couple of times that the 8040 walks all over the 8030, and I found those already good.

I have still not made my decision... looking for other alternatives too...
4th May 2007
Old 4th May 2007
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to Autocrat
I've used both and it's really a preference thing. The 8040s have a nice high end (compared to the old Genelec line) but the low end can feel bloated, depending on the room. It's rear ported (which made a difference in my room) compared to the Adams.

The 8040s are more enjoyable for me to listen to (dome tweeter compared to ribbon). The A7s are more accurate in the mids but you have to get used to the ribbon tweeter. A lot of commercial CDs don't sound good to me on the A7s but I trust the mids.

Either way, you have to learn each and adapt it to your environment. Translation on other systems is the key for me.
4th May 2007
Old 4th May 2007
Lives for gear

I do not know if genelecs translate perfectly in a mix situation. But from being on the other side of the glass many many times I know that I love the genelec sound. I spent alot of time in a studio with genelec nearfields 1031s. They also had genelec bigs and both sets of speakers were just so damn beautiful. Whatever they are doing I am hooked like a carp on those speakers. I could learn that sound and make mixes translate. I know I could. To me the sound is vibey as all get out and thats what I go for.
fr0st
4th May 2007
Old 4th May 2007
Gear nut

the adam tweeter definitely sounds different. Im going to purchase the genelecs and try them in my room. Worst case I return them get the a7's w/ the sub.
24th October 2007
Old 24th October 2007
Gear Head

I just compared the Gen 8030s and the A7s extensively the other day. The 8030s blew the Adam A7 away (IMO), so I'm imagining the 8040s would really destroy them. I didn't like the A7s much at all. I thought the bass was muffled (less tight), and they had a strange crunch in the mids. Maybe they're good for rock music. No idea. The Genelecs are SO nice.
24th October 2007
Old 24th October 2007
Lives for gear

i'm also in the camp of disliking the Adams' ribbon tweeters. unless sandpaper hi/mid's is your thing, i can't withstand the grittiness. i rather add the fuzz on my end.

plus, most consumer speakers are dome, not ribbon. makes more sense to me to mix on dome tweeter monitors... hence the name, "reference".

what throws me off even more, are ppl with both Adams and NS10's. sure Adams can have an accurate mid's, not used for casual listening. but that's the reason why one would have NS10s to begin with.
24th October 2007
Old 24th October 2007
Lives for gear

The Genelecs, amoungst a small select few, sound so good that they can be deceiving to mix on.

Take time learning how they translate before you attempt to do any critical mixing projects using them.

The up side to them is that they just sound great, I could mix with them all day long and not have my ears suffer fatigue, or feel irritated by its sound.

Good luck on your purchase thumbsup
24th October 2007
Old 24th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted View Post
i'm also in the camp of disliking the Adams' ribbon tweeters. unless sandpaper hi/mid's is your thing, i can't withstand the grittiness. i rather add the fuzz on my end.

plus, most consumer speakers are dome, not ribbon. makes more sense to me to mix on dome tweeter monitors... hence the name, "reference".

what throws me off even more, are ppl with both Adams and NS10's. sure Adams can have an accurate mid's, not used for casual listening. but that's the reason why one would have NS10s to begin with.
Both Adams and NS10's? Lol I feel your confusion on that one.

I have been trying to get my hands on a new pair of NS10's for a while, but I changed my mind and went for the Adams instead as a similar replacement.

Having a pair of A7's is worth it if you are buying them as your B or C monitor.
mds
24th October 2007
Old 24th October 2007
mds
Lives for gear

I guess I'm the other way...I think the ADAMs are really clear and the high end is really revealing. Bright recordings sound bright, for sure. I find Genelec to make things sound good, which would be cool if I wasn't trying to hunt down the bad stuff in a mix. In my experience if I can make a mix sound good on ADAMs (be they A7s up to S3As), my mix sounds good everywhere else...and thats not to say ADAMs don't sound good...good mixes sound great on ADAMs...

As always, this is just a taste thing, but I wouldn't rule them out without doing some mixes on them first...

Good luck!

Mike
CKK
24th October 2007
Old 24th October 2007
CKK
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds View Post
I guess I'm the other way...I think the ADAMs are really clear and the high end is really revealing. Bright recordings sound bright, for sure. I find Genelec to make things sound good, which would be cool if I wasn't trying to hunt down the bad stuff in a mix. In my experience if I can make a mix sound good on ADAMs (be they A7s up to S3As), my mix sounds good everywhere else...and thats not to say ADAMs don't sound good...good mixes sound great on ADAMs...

As always, this is just a taste thing, but I wouldn't rule them out without doing some mixes on them first...

Good luck!

Mike
I'm with you on that one.

Most modern stuff are being mixed sooooo bright'n'compressed - so when you feed the adams with it, its almost killing your ears. But good well balanced mixes sounds extreemly good on the adams.

The adams are not rock speakers - they are designed as classical/accustic/jaz speakers and they will help you not to hype your highs too much - making your material sound natural on almost all playback systems (even rock).

Have fun

and a and perhaps a for the heck of it.
24th October 2007
Old 24th October 2007
Lives for gear

I love Adam A7's paired with a Sub 8. Very revealing to say the least.

24th October 2007
Old 24th October 2007
Gear nut

i preffer the 8030s over the 8040s, though the 8030s lack of bass response due to its size, they have a very nice midrange and top end, i think the best set up for the 8030s is a 3.1 with a 7060b (if im not mistaken) subwoofer, i dont feel like there s a hole in the crossover section like with the 8020s.

and about how mixes translate, i think if u r not used to work with genelecs, u should have a second pair of cheap soft dome speakers to check your top end, genelec tends to flatter the top end.

for mixing i d have metal dome and soft dome, and for listening to music i d also have ribbons....just for fun.
25th October 2007
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Bryce
Quote:
That's an understandable point of view...just out of curiosity how do you reconcile it against the fact that ADAMs are being used by Dave Pensado, Kevin Killen, Chuck Ainlay, Michael Wagener, Bernie Kirsh, Jules, etc?

Heck, George and Giles Martin mixed the Beatles "Love" album on ADAMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geert van den Berg View Post
...period.

At the end of the day, there really is no right or wrong when it comes to studio monitors - it's just a matter of individual taste/finding the ones that let you do the work that translates the best to other systems. For some people that's Gens, for some it's ADAMs. I'd say either way you're ending up with a pretty good pair of speakers...

dB
ADAM Audio USA
25th October 2007
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

i have mixed quite a bit on both Genelec 1031's, 1030's as well as on Adam A7's and Dynaudio BM6A's. right now i own the A7's and i can say that they are all quite good and each one has its own character.

you can do great mixes on any of these once you are used to them.

overdone modern mixes sound harsh on all of them.
!
25th October 2007
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
That's an understandable point of view...just out of curiosity how do you reconcile it against the fact that ADAMs are being used by Dave Pensado, Kevin Killen, Chuck Ainlay, Michael Wagener, Bernie Kirsh, Jules, etc?

Heck, George and Giles Martin mixed the Beatles "Love" album on ADAMs.
how? easy. horses for courses.

but that doesn't make it end-all-be-all.

and for clarification, while they are masters at their crafts, i believe the ppl you listed above have made their names before they started using ADAMs.

Quote:
...period.

At the end of the day, there really is no right or wrong when it comes to studio monitors - it's just a matter of individual taste/finding the ones that let you do the work that translates the best to other systems. For some people that's Gens, for some it's ADAMs. I'd say either way you're ending up with a pretty good pair of speakers...

dB
ADAM Audio USA
25th October 2007
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geert van den Berg View Post
of course you do need to like the sound as your going to be working with it so much but you need to get a monitor that is accurate and will translate well which usually arnt going to be the ones that sound the best.

Quote:
most consumer speakers are dome, not ribbon. makes more sense to me to mix on dome tweeter monitors... hence the name, "reference".
on the surface its a good point but i dont think its very relavent simply because there are so many types of tweeters out there anyway that there is no standard listening system anyway. sure dome tweeters are more common but what type? NS10 were made to be similar to what consumers used but now the market has moved on and who listen to music on those speakers still yet countless NS10s are still used in studios. should we all monitor on 6"x9"s with square subs just because thats what people are putting in their cars? i dont think so, but its a valid system to check a mix on. over all i think we should be looking for accurate wide range monitors and when we start going into these details it just seems to make a stronger case for using multiple pairs of monitors to mix on.

also the A7s arnt spc'ed for bass response so i think you should be comparing them with a sub

at the end of the day both monitors are well regarded and which ever you choose once you learn them in your room you will be able to make good mixers on them
mds
25th October 2007
Old 25th October 2007
mds
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie View Post
should we all monitor on 6"x9"s with square subs just because thats what people are putting in their cars? i dont think so...
...or mix on Bose systems....ack! Worth checking on though, for sure! :-)
25th October 2007
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
on the surface its a good point but i dont think its very relavent simply because there are so many types of tweeters out there anyway that there is no standard listening system anyway. sure dome tweeters are more common but what type? NS10 were made to be similar to what consumers used but now the market has moved on and who listen to music on those speakers still yet countless NS10s are still used in studios. should we all monitor on 6"x9"s with square subs just because thats what people are putting in their cars? i dont think so, but its a valid system to check a mix on. over all i think we should be looking for accurate wide range monitors and when we start going into these details it just seems to make a stronger case for using multiple pairs of monitors to mix on.
the argument is dome vs. ribbons, not which monitors or which domes. otherwise this can go on for weeks.

Quote:
also the A7s arnt spc'ed for bass response so i think you should be comparing them with a sub
sounds like you own Adams and in a subtle way trying to justify it. no need to defend, use what works best for you.

Quote:
at the end of the day both monitors are well regarded and which ever you choose once you learn them in your room you will be able to make good mixers on them
yup.thumbsup
25th October 2007
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
the argument is dome vs. ribbons, not which monitors or which domes. otherwise this can go on for weeks.
i didnt want to get to much into 'which monitor' but my point was there is no standard so how can we say we shouldn't monitor on something that isnt standard. can there not be just as much difference between various domes as there is between the dome of a Genelec and the Ribbon of an Adam?

Quote:
sounds like you own Adams and in a subtle way trying to justify it. no need to defend, use what works best for you.
Actually no, although i must admit they may be on my list for my next pair of monitors but that could change. just from reading the specs it is clear they arnt spec'ed for the real lows and thus if the OP is finding they lack the low end of other monitors i think he should compare them with the sub. im not saying the Adams with a sub are better, im just saying i think the comparison should be made. i still mix on KRKs which lack the low end aswell. i usually compare my mixs on BM6s for the bottom end but to have the full rage in one system is much easer to work with.

i like my KRKs because its what i know, i plan to add a second pair of monitors when i can but i wont be getting rid of my KRKs, despise everything else i still think knowing your chosen monitor and your room is the most important thing.
25th October 2007
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
i didnt want to get to much into 'which monitor' but my point was there is no standard so how can we say we shouldn't monitor on something that isnt standard. can there not be just as much difference between various domes as there is between the dome of a Genelec and the Ribbon of an Adam?
there never was a standard in the first place.

a reference is pointing towards a general broad stroke in this case; and considering domes are more common than ribbon, hence the reference would naturally be one that's most similar to the popular... a dome.

anyways, we both get each other. let's not get into semantics war. your ears yours, my ears mine.
25th October 2007
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
how? easy. horses for courses.

but that doesn't make it end-all-be-all.
Never said it did...I was just making a point that it might not be as black and white as you seemed to be painting it. As I said in the rest of my post - there is no end all be all...on anything. Taste is (and always will be) relative.

Quote:
and for clarification, while they are masters at their crafts, i believe the ppl you listed above have made their names before they started using ADAMs.
Of course they did. What does that have to do with them using ADAMs now? Does that mean that the translation of their work is any less important to them now?

dB
ADAM Audio USA
25th October 2007
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Never said it did...I was just making a point that it might not be as black and white as you seemed to be painting it. As I said in the rest of my post - there is no end all be all...on anything. Taste is (and always will be) relative.
easy there. hence the thumbs up at the end of post.

Quote:
Of course they did. What does that have to do with them using ADAMs now? Does that mean that the translation of their work is any less important to them now?

dB
ADAM Audio USA
"and for clarification". that's all.
25th October 2007
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
easy there. hence the thumbs up at the end of post.

Sorry to hear the folded ribbons weren't your cuppa tea.

dB
26th October 2007
Old 26th October 2007
Lives for gear

I did a lot of comparing and decided for the Adams. They represent the most important midrange best IMHO. I think the very revealing high end is a good thing, it makes it possible to mix at lower levels and still get an accurate picture. It's true that they don't give you much bass, but what is coming out is accurate. I can listen to them all day, and it's true that you hear the difference between a good mix and a great mix very clearly.
The Genelecs I found to sound a little boomy and spiky, probably could get used to them, too, but my mixes translate very well from the Adams and mixing is easy due to the looking-glass-like accuracy, so why bother.
26th October 2007
Old 26th October 2007
Lives for gear

I have the 8030 and adam p11 and the focal twins. They are as good as the price goes up:

1. 8030 - good to test mixes on
2. p11 - better mid, same bass
3. focal twins - finally you can EQ bass and bass drum and hear what you are doing! Also the mid and high's are great.

8030 and p11 are both amazing for the money. I would go for the A7's if I were you. You will never regret having those even if you buy better monitors in say 3 years.

One thing: the A7's are a bit fragile. If you play a beat... and by accident your compressor gain makeup is at 30db and your volume is at full blast... and you end limiter is on... your speaker will be KAPUT... The Genelec's are a bit tougher and will be better if you travel a lot or have a soundcard that makes loud pops sometimes (when booting)... etc...

ciaow,
M.
26th October 2007
Old 26th October 2007
Gear addict

I mix on A7s now. I used to use HR824s which are big and smooth and they make everything nice sounding.

You really do not want everything to sound great on your monitors. Making mixes sound good on the A7s make them sound incredible on other systems. Every time I use them everything turns out sounding great (except a noise band wanted a brighter sound and it sounded terrible!). When I listen to my old HR824 mixes on the adams there's all sorts of stuff that pops out that I didn't hear before. Sure there's something funny going on in the mids/highs that I haven't heard in any other speaker - but that something is magical

BUT I would LOVE to have my HR824s as home stereo speakers

Once you get to high end speakers like the meyer sound HD-1, then you can expect them to be super smooth and detailed. As for the low/mid line stuff, it's got to be colored and that color will make a big impact on your mix. I think the A7 color is extremely useful and I'm not the only one
26th October 2007
Old 26th October 2007
Gear Head

A7 has slightly hyped higher midrange which I found to be very useful when mixing vocals and its sound is very raw in comparison with Dynaudios which forces me to correct evyrything in mix until it is great.

Quite satisfied with using of A7s in my home recording studio. Before I had Behringer Truths and A7 is IMO higher class of monitors.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search