Konnekt 8 or Firebox?
New Reply
Subscribe
opium89
9th February 2007
Old 9th February 2007
Gear addict

Konnekt 8 or Firebox?

I need to buy a temporary unit for home use and I think I have narrowed it down to one of these. Anyone have an opinion? Requirements include at least 24/48, built in USEABLE preamp(s) w/ DI, firewire connection, MIDI connection and MUST be Sonar compatible.

I don't see the Konnekt on the hardware list at Cakewalk which is a concern, other than that, it's a toss-up. The Konnect will go up to 192, but I probably wont even use it at 192. I like the idea that the Konnekt has ADAT connections which the Firebox does not. Anyone with some actual time with both of these?

Please keep conjecture to yourself unless you actually have something useful to offer. So far, I am veering towards the Presonus. Seems to be "tried and true" with a lot of good feedback but I am open for other options for about $200.
10th February 2007
Old 10th February 2007
Gear nut

A couple clarifications on the Konnekt 8.

It does not have ADAT I/O, you'll only find this on the Konnekt 24D. I work for TC, so I'll be straight with you...we currently have a bug with Sonar 6 but we expect it to be resolved in about a week in our next driver update. Search around this forum for the reviews Konnekt 24D (the Konnekt 8 sounds identical). There is also the ongoing pro review at Harmony Central.

Take care,
Mike Martin
TC|US
10th February 2007
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

I havent tried the Konnekt, but I had the Firebox for about 3 weeks to check it out. The pres were very nice, and very usable. In fact if it had 4 more bal.ins, I would probably still have it! Converters sounded fine.

The TC site touts their specs to be pretty good though. Like War says, "You couldnt blame either of them for a bad mix"

opium89
10th February 2007
Old 10th February 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Martin View Post
A couple clarifications on the Konnekt 8.

It does not have ADAT I/O, you'll only find this on the Konnekt 24D.
Thanks for clarifying that. The ad I was looking at for one must have had the picture of the 24 instead. And thanks for the heads up about the bug. I guess the Presonus is the way to go for now. Should be a perfect little box for doing some tracking at home.
10th February 2007
Old 10th February 2007
Banned

Zero problems here with konnekt8 on PC (samplitude/sawbasic). I don't know how firebox sounds but konnekt's ad/da is excellent and I got a surprise by the preamps. I actually like them, very clean.
Deleted User
10th February 2007
Old 10th February 2007
Deleted User

Another one for the firebox!

The only problem is it gets very hot after long sessions.
10th February 2007
Old 10th February 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier View Post
Another one for the firebox!

The only problem is it gets very hot after long sessions.
Well it's a FIREbox

I have the Konnekt 24D and I also is amazed over the converters they sound just as good as my RME ADI converters.
The pre's is very usable..
10th February 2007
Old 10th February 2007
Deleted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Well it's a FIREbox
opium89
11th February 2007
Old 11th February 2007
Gear addict

I overlooked the Audiofire 4. Anyone use this with Sonar? I noticed it's not on the Cakewalk compatibility list either but Echo seems to make good stuff. I'm curious why...
11th February 2007
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

The Echo stuff rocks, one major difference between it and the Firebox....Firebox has local control over cans/mains volume. The Echo DOES NOT. Local or software. It seems that many companies dont offer this, and I dont know why. If you are not recording miked sources, then this wont be a problem. If you are, you will be needing some type of in-line attenuator, between the speakers and the outs of the breakout box.

I liked the sound of the Firebox when I had it. Like Warren said, again, "You couldnt blame either of these for a bad mix"

I think this needs to be a GS Anthem set to music at some point....
11th February 2007
Old 11th February 2007
Gear nut

Another thumbsup for the K24D. Been using it for 4 months now, real nice.
12th February 2007
Old 12th February 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to treymonfauntre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Cloud View Post
The Echo stuff rocks, one major difference between it and the Firebox....Firebox has local control over cans/mains volume. The Echo DOES NOT. Local or software. It seems that many companies dont offer this, and I dont know why. If you are not recording miked sources, then this wont be a problem. If you are, you will be needing some type of in-line attenuator, between the speakers and the outs of the breakout box.

I liked the sound of the Firebox when I had it. Like Warren said, again, "You couldnt blame either of these for a bad mix"

I think this needs to be a GS Anthem set to music at some point....
echo's driver will control output volume
12th February 2007
Old 12th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by treymonfauntre View Post
echo's driver will control output volume
Actually no it wont. The 2 volumes effect the headphones AND the monitors, there is no way to separate them, trust me.

I spoke to Echo about this, and their suggestion was to build baffles around the mics so the speakers dont get to them..... thanks for the help!!!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search