2 x Rane MS1b vs. FMR RNP
New Reply
Subscribe
sodiumcycle
3rd February 2007
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear nut

2 x Rane MS1b vs. FMR RNP

I am buying two channels of low end pre and found these two options to be the best value:
2 x Rane MS1b
FMR RNP

Is the FMR RNP worth the extra money? The 2 Rane units will be $175 cheaper.
3rd February 2007
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear interested

YES it is worth the money.

The FMR RNP actually touches the lower HIGH-END market- lots of pro studios have the RNP sitting there in the rack.

The Rane MS1b is LOW-END and AVERAGE, period.

-Google both of these and you'll know what I mean.
-Go to a store and test them out you'll know what I mean- dont be surprised if the RNP sounds better than the avalon M5 or great river to your ears.

RNP goes for $475 simply because of lack of dollars spent in manufacturing, cosmetics and marketing (which amount to millions). get it while its hot.
4th February 2007
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via AIM to Janesaid2me
ohhh idk about saying that the rnp is considered low high end...maybe high low end would be more appropriate and make people on this site happy...i can just see others reading this post freaking out that your comparing the rnp to their much more expensive (and better sounding...at least to their ears) preamps....im not really saying your wrong or right and honestly i dont care either way if it sounds good its good...but i know others are freaking out reading this so i laughed...and had to comment...

Oh go with the fmr though...itll be easier...all in one...two ms1b can be a hassle...im sure they are not worlds apart though. Honestly havent heard the two together to compare them though!

To the below comments:
Oh...and u guys are @holes....i was just trying to wrap up what ive read between the two units to save him some trouble...i would have been lying had i not said that at the end of my thoughts on the topic...so as i stated u guys are @holes....at least i gave an honest opinion unlike some of u.

Last edited by Janesaid2me; 16th May 2007 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: cause some people on here are jerks
4th February 2007
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janesaid2me View Post
ohhh idk about saying that the rnp is considered low high end...maybe high low end would be more appropriate and make people on this site happy...i can just see others reading this post freaking out that your comparing the rnp to their much more expensive (and better sounding...at least to their ears) preamps....im not really saying your wrong or right and honestly i dont care either way if it sounds good its good...but i know others are freaking out reading this so i laughed...and had to comment...

Oh go with the fmr though...itll be easier...all in one...two ms1b can be a hassle...im sure they are not worlds apart though. Honestly havent heard the two together to compare them though!
And folks, HE GOT PAID FOR THIS REVIEW!!!

Good job!!!
4th February 2007
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Actually, I have tried them side by side and I would pick two MS-1b's over the RNMP if you are just going for sound and don't need a DI. Seriously.
4th February 2007
Old 4th February 2007
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Cloud View Post
And folks, HE GOT PAID FOR THIS REVIEW!!!

Good job!!!
thank god im not a forum d*ckrider like you. go out of your internet world and test preamps yourself with your ears, theres a whole new life there. reviews dont account for anything. ears make the difference.
4th February 2007
Old 4th February 2007
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janesaid2me View Post

exactly, so shut the f*ck up. simple.
4th February 2007
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to illacov Send a message via Yahoo to illacov
Talking Here's my experienced opinion

I've heard the RNP on recorded tracks as well as my voice going thru it and its pretty vanilla as far as pre's go.

That being said the MS1b is what I settled on A for price point and B it sounds slightly more authentic as a vanilla pre.

Plus Roger Nichols says this pre amp rocks and that he pulls it out from time to time to record. The MS1B sounds fine on vox and bass, but its no DI and you need a good DI (Radial) if you're going to record bass DI to a pre. This preamp has that immediate fast sound too it in my opinion. Its good for singing, rock, blues and pop/hip hop requirements. Its got enough gain to drive something like an SM7 as well.

It also uses Burr Brown chips which explain its nice sound.

Peace
Illumination
We used the MS1b for all of our vocals on the myspace, but I hate the mixes they're all over a year old! The new ones sound better.

JJ Audio Mic on Facebook!
**JJ Audio Custom Mics and Mods!!**

JJ Audio Mics Email (Langston/Sales and Customer Support)

Artists recently recorded with JJ Audio Mics:
The Goonies (Hip Hop/Experimental)(My Band)
Ronnie Spector, Baby Bash, Paula DeAnda, Z-Ro, Slim Thug and the list continues to grow...

http://soundcloud.com/illacov/jj-cd-vo-demo
4th February 2007
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illicit View Post
YES it is worth the money.

The Rane MS1b is LOW-END and AVERAGE, period.
Sodiumcycle, among others Roger Nichols, a friend of mine who is a Grammy nominated acoustic jazz engineer/producer, and myself all disagree with this statement so I would not necessarily rule the Rane out without listening to it yourself.

BTW, Illicit adding "period" to a statement makes it no less or more valid unless one is universallly recognized as the ultimate authority on the subject, which I think it is fair to say you are not.

www.jayasher.com
4th February 2007
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodiumcycle View Post
I am buying two channels of low end pre and found these two options to be the best value:
2 x Rane MS1b
FMR RNP

Is the FMR RNP worth the extra money? The 2 Rane units will be $175 cheaper.
I would choose the Rane over the RNP for my uses (acoustic music), and I have tried them side by side (the Rane was a MS 1, not MS 1b).

Consider hunting down a used Rane DMS22. It's a 1U rack unit with two MS 1 preamps, plus defeatable eq, plus a stereo mix bus (or direct channel outs). Swap out the op amps and you pretty much have two MS1b pres with eq. They usually run about $100 to $150 on ebay.

I have one and it gets used on occasion even though I have tube and solid state Pendulum pres and a John Hardy M2.
4th February 2007
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
thank god im not a forum d*ckrider like you. go out of your internet world and test preamps yourself with your ears, theres a whole new life there. reviews dont account for anything. ears make the difference.
Gee my man, it sounds like you are!!
I think you read too quickly son, go back and read his whole statement. Either you didnt get the joke, or you are of sub-par intelligence, or BOTH, maybe?!?!

4th February 2007
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
RNP goes for $475 simply because of lack of dollars spent in manufacturing, cosmetics and marketing (which amount to millions). get it while its hot.
it was overpriced when it came out years ago...it's waaay overpriced now. you're kidding yourself.
4th February 2007
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikawkee View Post
Actually, I have tried them side by side and I would pick two MS-1b's over the RNMP if you are just going for sound and don't need a DI. Seriously.

hell, idd pick a dmp3 over the rnp anyday...let along...

the rnp is not on par with the rnc/rnla, bang for buck wise...fmr folks should realize that, and everyone else should as well.
4th February 2007
Old 4th February 2007
Gear nut

The Rane is a helluva lot clearer sounding than the Focusrite Octopre, Studio Projects VTB1, Mackie vlz & the 002 pres.
Its not good for close mic drum sources like snare cos it aint got enough headroom (or cos i aint got a pad infront of it). But its great on Git/Bass & Vox in some of the situations ive put them in.
Out of any of the above pre's i mentioned & possibly any of the $100-$200 pre's out there... id take the Rane hands down.
But ive never heard the RNP!!!
5th February 2007
Old 5th February 2007
Gear nut

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm going to get the Rane pres and use the extra money on a large diaphram dynamic mic. Right now, I have a Studio Projects C3, an MXL 603, and a bunch of 57s and 58s. Sadly, I have had better results with the 57 on vocals than the C3 through my Ramsa board. The C3 has an awful boosted high end that sounds phasey when tamed by EQ. :(

Hopefully I will have better luck with Rane + SM7 combo.
6th February 2007
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

+1 for the Rane. I'm pulling pres out of my rack to make room for upgrades. The Ranes are staying. The RNP//RNC combo is headed for the GS classifieds.
6th February 2007
Old 6th February 2007
Jai guru deva om

I reviewed the Rane here:

http://www.mojopie.com/ms1b.html

and I've used the RNP on projects in the past.

If this is strictly about preamps, and you have no need for (A) a direct instrument input or (B) you don't mind having two non-rack mountable units floating around (as well as two power supplies) then I would go for the Rane units as a matter of budget. The +6dB gain steps in the RNP are aggravating to me, I like the DI also better than the preamps and found the preamps to have a kind of mid-scooped thing going on (which can be pleasant on lots of sources) so it has its own sound.

The Rane are just a good and natural sounding pre, with a surprising amount of detail. The Rane is a little light in the low end also so it has its own "sound" as well.

Neither of these preamps would prevent you from making decent recordings.

War

6th February 2007
Old 6th February 2007
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to Beauarts
I have a Rane DMS22 and compared to a few other pres. I think it's pretty good. Not like the Hardy, API, etc. I have but a decent substitute. I use it occassionally for live sound and it has worked well for me there, especially since it comes with a basic eq also. I talked to Jim Williams at AudioUpgrades and he gave a rough estimate of $250 to upgrade it. That might bring it up to more of a pro level and still stay under your budget.
15th February 2007
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

Would the Rane MS1b be a step above the Fireface 800 pre's or will I need to spend much more?
bap
15th February 2007
Old 15th February 2007
bap
Gear nut

I haven't used the Rane MS1b but have used their eq and I own the Rane Phono Stage (and love it). I hold Rane products in high regard.

I enjoyed my RNP for a while and then replaced it with a BG1.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search