Alto CLE 2.0 vs Behringer MDX1600
New Reply
Subscribe
mipearson
29th January 2007
Old 29th January 2007
Gear interested

Alto CLE 2.0 vs Behringer MDX1600

I bought a bunch of very low end gear for very cheap recently. Classic story of a bunch of gear going untouched for two years and the wifey telling the owner to sell it or else.

So I'm grabbing some of it to put into a live setup. Here's how it looks so far:

Technics S30 / Ensoniq SQR-1 -> Behringer "tube" (haha) preamp -> Virtualizer Pro -> Alto CLE 2.0 gate/compressor/limiter -> Behringer 90w keys amp.

The technics and the ensoniq have a channel each. I use the preamp for basic eq'ing, not actual amplification. I haven't really explored the vPro yet, but its reverb sounds better than the 'verb on the synth and the piano.

Thing is, I also got a Behringer MDX1600, but I swapped in the CLE 2.0 as I've heard very bad things about the MDX1600. Now I'm wondering if I should just go the Behringer as the alto doesn't sound that great, either. I'm finding it hard to A/B them as I don't know enough about outboard gates/compressors. I'm using them to "even out" the live sound, especially when playing soft piano bits.

I'm also wondering if I should be applying the Virtualizer _after_ compressor/limiter, as the Virtualizer clips at 0db.

BTW, I know about the average quality of B gear, so please no "buy this $500 compressor instead" comments. I mix ITB at home - this is just for live/rehearsal work. All the subleties of a decent compressor will be lost in the room's mix anywya.
29th January 2007
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Do you really need a compressor? If it is really degrading your signal (like much alto & behringer gear will), just take it out of the signal path. The FMR RNC is only $175 and can often be found used in the $125 range. It will run circles around those compressors.
mipearson
29th January 2007
Old 29th January 2007
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubs View Post
Do you really need a compressor? If it is really degrading your signal (like much alto & behringer gear will), just take it out of the signal path. The FMR RNC is only $175 and can often be found used in the $125 range. It will run circles around those compressors.
It's not - the signal is already pretty poor (it's coming from a crappy 90's synth and stage piano from when 8mb of sample ROM was considered high end), and the final destination is a keyboard amp.

The overall sound with light compression from the Alto is better than the sound without any compression at all, because otherwise if I thump the keys real hard it clips
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search